Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multi-disc album woes
23-09-2021, 18:41
Multi-disc album woes
Hi Simon,

I've read the section on Multidisc albums in the User Guide and several related threads, and unfortunately I'm finding the issue cryptic beyond my understanding.

My multi-disc albums are tagged using the same album name and integers in the disc number tag. Tracks are numbered consecutively throughout such entire albums; i.e. without re-starting at 1 in each disc. Some single disc albums have 1 in the disc number tag, and some have this field missing.

I don't want to rename albums by adding the [disc <n>] suffix. I appreciate that it may be the recommended and most robust option, but I don't like the idea of spending time on finding and manually renaming the relevant albums when there is a specific disc number tag available, as well as having anything inserted in the album name beyond the actual original name. If I were to use the files outside of the minimserver environment, I'd end up with aesthetically undesirable album names.

What I want is to:
- have multi-disc albums separated by disc
- preferably retain the possibility of having the entire album added to queue in one operation
- have single-disc albums displayed without any disc number information (in reference to having a mix of blanks and 1 values)

You posted here a solution which seems to be along these lines, but is not quite working for me: https://forum.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=3659

"1) In the itemTags property, add: DiscNumber
2) In the tagValue property, add: DiscSubtitle.default={DiscNumber}"

This gives me additional lines of >><n> in the track list. However, pressing play at >>2 makes the album start playing from the first song in Disc 1, rather than Disc 2. Also, I'd like to change the double greater-than sign with something else, e.g. "Disc ". How can these issues be amended?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2021, 20:07 (This post was last modified: 23-09-2021 20:09 by simoncn.)
RE: Multi-disc album woes
Which control point are you using?

To play Disc 2 only, you should first select >> Disc 2 to see the list of tracks, then play this list of tracks. I am not sure why your current approach plays Disc 1 instead but I think it is likely to be related to your control point.

Since the post that you have referenced, the showAllDiscs option has been added to the serverOptions property (see this section). This should be more convenient than what you are doing with DiscSubtitle. It will show the discs as >> Disc 1, >> Disc 2 instead of >> 1 and >> 2.

You cannot remove the >> from >> Disc 1 etc. You can change what comes after >> by using the DiscSubtitle tag.
23-09-2021, 21:09 (This post was last modified: 23-09-2021 21:11 by Veganfloyd.)
Thank you, Simon.

I'm using the Hi-Fi Cast app (Android). Thank you for the pointer to the showAllDiscs option. The ">> Disc [n]" scheme is neat enough. Unfortunately, I'm getting the same results in terms of the playback starting from the beginning of the album when using Play or Add to queue next to Disc 2.

(23-09-2021 20:07)simoncn Wrote:  You cannot remove the >> from >> Disc 1 etc. You can change what comes after >> by using the DiscSubtitle tag.

How can I change it, or better yet, which part of the User Guide explains how to do it?
23-09-2021, 21:25
(23-09-2021 21:09)Veganfloyd Wrote:  Unfortunately, I'm getting the same results in terms of the playback starting from the beginning of the album when using Play or Add to queue next to Disc 2.

1) Touch >> Disc 2
2) On the Disc 2: selection below Hide Contents, touch the 3 dots menu and select Play

Quote:How can I change it, or better yet, which part of the User Guide explains how to do it?

To change this, you need to set the DiscSubtitle tag. For example, if you set this tag to "Bonus Disc" for the disc you want to rename, this line will show as >> Bonus Disc. See this section for more details.
23-09-2021, 22:05
Thank you, the playback works when doing it this way. Is it a limitation of my control point or is the two-step process the same regardless of the control point?

(23-09-2021 21:25)simoncn Wrote:  To change this, you need to set the DiscSubtitle tag. For example, if you set this tag to "Bonus Disc" for the disc you want to rename, this line will show as >> Bonus Disc. See this section for more details.

Thank you. I was hoping for some sort of on-the-fly string operation making use of what I initially posted, i.e. adding DiscNumber to itemTags property and setting DiscSubtitle.default. Something along the lines of (made-up syntax) DiscSubtitle.default="CD0{DiscNumber}" to get CD01, CD02, etc.
24-09-2021, 13:24
(23-09-2021 22:05)Veganfloyd Wrote:  Thank you, the playback works when doing it this way. Is it a limitation of my control point or is the two-step process the same regardless of the control point?
I don't know if the behaviour is different, but I can fully recommend BubbleUPnP if you haven't tried it already.

(23-09-2021 22:05)Veganfloyd Wrote:  Thank you. I was hoping for some sort of on-the-fly string operation making use of what I initially posted, i.e. adding DiscNumber to itemTags property and setting DiscSubtitle.default. Something along the lines of (made-up syntax) DiscSubtitle.default="CD0{DiscNumber}" to get CD01, CD02, etc.
You can set a default, but I don't believe that default can be a concatenation of a string and a tag, it's either or.

What you could use is tagUpdate

Something like:
Code:
@DISCNUMBER=1
+DISCSUBTITLE=CD01
@DISCNUMBER=2
+DISCSUBTITLE=CD02

If you have populated some DISCSUBTITLE tags, you'd need to change the name in the tagUpdate file to TMP_DISCSUBTITLE, then use DISCSUBTITLE.default={TMP_DISCSUBTITLE} (after adding TMP_DISCSUBTITLE to itemTags).

This will however apply them for everything in your collection (including single disc albums) so unless you have some way of identifying multi-disc albums (DISCTOTAL) there's no way to prevent this.