Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official release Synology DSM 7 and Java8
06-07-2021, 16:06
RE: Official release Synology DSM 7 and Java8
Which version of DSM 7 did you install? The reference to the beta program suggests you might have installed a beta or preview version of DSM 7. There is now an official release available (7.0-41890) and this is the version you should be using. Before you do anything else, please make sure you are on this version of DSM. When you have done this, you should be able to repair MinimServer by updating to the version available from the Synology Package Center. Please let me know whether this is successful.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2021, 16:50
Hi Simon. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I can confirm that according to the Control Panel and Synology Assistant, version 7.0-41890 is the one installed. I am unable to find Minimserver anywhere among the available packages to effect a repair.
The installation that will not uninstall says that it is 2.0.18-1005. It also says that the newest online version is 2.0.18-2001 (beta), but I cannot find any route to that and as I say cannot access Minimserver through the browser or via Minimwatch to de-activate the license.
06-07-2021, 17:33
I have upgraded my Synology DS1517+ to DSM 7. I uninstalled Java8 and MinimServer 2 and now I want to reinstall MinimServer 2. I read in this thread that a Java runtime will be installed as part of MinimServer 2, which is nice.

Installing MinimServer 2 on a Synology NAS

The instructions say:

Quote:MinimServer 2 is available from the Synology DSM Package Center for all Synology NAS models.

But I can't find it in the Package Center. Should I follow the instructions for a manual install? I think my NAS is Intel.
06-07-2021, 17:35 (This post was last modified: 06-07-2021 17:38 by simoncn.)
(06-07-2021 16:50)retraite Wrote:  Hi Simon. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I can confirm that according to the Control Panel and Synology Assistant, version 7.0-41890 is the one installed. I am unable to find Minimserver anywhere among the available packages to effect a repair.
The installation that will not uninstall says that it is 2.0.18-1005. It also says that the newest online version is 2.0.18-2001 (beta), but I cannot find any route to that and as I say cannot access Minimserver through the browser or via Minimwatch to de-activate the license.

Please try the following:

1) In DSM, open Package Center
2) In the left sidebar, you should see Installed, All Packages and Beta Packages
3) Select Beta Packages
4) You should see MinimServer listed with a Join Beta button
5) Click Join Beta and follow the prompts to install MinimServer 2.0.18-2001
06-07-2021, 17:39
(06-07-2021 17:35)simoncn Wrote:  Please try the following:

1) In DSM, open Package Center
2) In the left sidebar, you should see Installed, All Packages and Beta Packages
3) Select Beta Packages
4) You should see MinimServer listed with a Join Beta button
5) Click Join Beta and follow the prompts to install MinimServer 2.0.18-2001

In the left sidebar I see:
  • Installed
  • All Packages
  • Community
I never had DSM 7 Beta installed. I went straight to the release version if that's relevant.

Under Settings, Package Sources only has one entry for SynoCommunity. Perhaps I need to add a package source?
06-07-2021, 17:40
(06-07-2021 17:33)bananasareyellow Wrote:  But I can't find it in the Package Center. Should I follow the instructions for a manual install? I think my NAS is Intel.

Try looking in Beta Packages as described in my previous post.
06-07-2021, 17:45
Thanks again for the reply. The headings on the left hand side are Installed, All Packages and Community. There is no heading for Beta packages and I am unable to find any listing for Minimserver under any heading.
06-07-2021, 17:54
(06-07-2021 17:39)bananasareyellow Wrote:  I never had DSM 7 Beta installed. I went straight to the release version if that's relevant.

Under Settings, Package Sources only has one entry for SynoCommunity. Perhaps I need to add a package source?

I had the beta version before installing the release version. This might explain why I am seeing a selection for Beta Packages. There is no repository link that a user can add to see these beta packages.

The manual download on the Downloads page (2.0.18-0500) is for DSM 6.x only. You will not be able to install this on DSM 7. I will add manual downloads for DSM 7 later today.

It is very unfortunate that Synology has created these problems for users by making DSM 7 a breaking change that requires all package developers to create new incompatible versions of their packages.
06-07-2021, 17:57
(06-07-2021 17:54)simoncn Wrote:  
(06-07-2021 17:39)bananasareyellow Wrote:  I never had DSM 7 Beta installed. I went straight to the release version if that's relevant.

I had the beta version before installing the release version. This might explain why I am seeing a selection for Beta Packages. There is no repository link that a user can add to see these beta packages.

The manual download on the Downloads page (2.0.18-0500) is for DSM 6.x only. You will not be able to install this on DSM 7. I will add manual downloads for DSM 7 later today.

It is very unfortunate that Synology has created these problems for users by making DSM 7 a breaking change that requires all package developers to create new incompatible versions of their packages.

It's the same situation with BubbleUPnPServer if that's any consolation.

https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupn...html#dsm-7
06-07-2021, 18:00
I assume your reply applies to both of the queries you are currently fielding. In my case I'm relieved to learn that this may be an occasion when I'm not the source of the problem.
I will look for the manual downloads tomorrow and let you know if it clears the issue.
Thanks again for all your help.