Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver not finding new music
10-06-2021, 12:47
Minimserver not finding new music
I started a while back on the long road of digitising my CDs. Since I'm not an IT techie I've had a headache ever since!
History: Recently installed Minimserver 2.0.12 on my Qnap Nas because using Linn Kazoo [app that comes with my Linn amp] without it, all tracks played in alphabetical order.
A new line appeared in the Kazoo app called 'Minimserver' and when I select albums there they all play as they should. Horray!

But... now I add new music to the Nas it does not show under 'Minimserver'
(But it does show in the usual folder so it is definitely there)

I used the Directory /share/MUSIC when setting up Minimserver and all the new music has been added to the same place - so why can't Minim server find it. Does it somehow need to reboot, reload, re-something else to find anything new?

AND.. Why can't program writers make any of this stuff simple so this it just works 1st and every time? (Probably too philosophical so answer to main question will do - Thanks)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2021, 13:48
RE: Minimserver not finding new music
(10-06-2021 12:47)Tired of all this Wrote:  But... now I add new music to the Nas it does not show under 'Minimserver'
Does it somehow need to reboot, reload, re-something else to find anything new

Yes it does.
The following should provide more valuable information.

Reading audio files

Controlling MinimServer - Rescan

(10-06-2021 12:47)Tired of all this Wrote:  AND.. Why can't program writers make any of this stuff simple so this it just works 1st and every time?

Forgive me, but an earlier comment suggested it did work first time. Smile
10-06-2021, 14:26
Do you have MinimWatch running on another computer? If so, you can do the rescan from the MinimWatch menu. If not, you need to open the MinimServer configuration web page by clicking the "3 bars" icon in QNAP QTS and selecting MinimServer under Applications. On this page, click the Rescan button. The rescan is complete when MinimServer reappears in your control point.
26-08-2021, 17:31
I have a problem, because mininmserver does not find new music. It all works fine until ... I don't know what happened. I added new music on my server and minimerver does not show the files or the folder, but the files exists! And what is really strange: The whole folder is not shown although it contains files which has shown before.

I try to find solutions by set the startupscan to "full" but nothing changes.

I would be very happy if someone had a suggested solution.
26-08-2021, 18:31 (This post was last modified: 26-08-2021 18:33 by simoncn.)
Did you do a rescan after adding the new music? You can do this from the MinimServer configuration web page or from MinimWatch. What platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, QNAP, Synology, Melco, etc.) are you using to run MinimServer?

Setting startupScan to full will make rescanning and startup take much longer but will not make any difference with finding new music. Setting this to true is sufficient.
26-08-2021, 19:14
(26-08-2021 18:31)simoncn Wrote:  Did you do a rescan after adding the new music? You can do this from the MinimServer configuration web page or from MinimWatch. What platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, QNAP, Synology, Melco, etc.) are you using to run MinimServer?
Yes, I rescan every time and I use Synology. Not long ago everything works fine. Every time I add an album I did a rescan and there ist was.

Quote:Setting startupScan to full will make rescanning and startup take much longer but will not make any difference with finding new music. Setting this to true is sufficient.
I only use full to find a solution. Normally I use true.
26-08-2021, 20:39
Have you checked the MinimServer log for error messages? Another Synology user recently had a problem with some folders in the library not having correct read permissions. Are you using DSM 7 or DSM 6? If you are using DSM 7, it is likely to be a permissions problem.

The only difference between "full" and "true" in startupScan is that existing files (previously scanned) are read from disk instead of using cached data. For new files not in the MinimServer cache, there is no difference.
26-08-2021, 23:51
(26-08-2021 20:39)simoncn Wrote:  Have you checked the MinimServer log for error messages? Another Synology user recently had a problem with some folders in the library not having correct read permissions. Are you using DSM 7 or DSM 6? If you are using DSM 7, it is likely to be a permissions problem.

Thanks for your suggestions. First I checked the log. There are a lot of warnings and so on. One Message is: "Warning: error scanning file '/volume1/music/The Cranberries': java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: /volume1/music/The Cranberries"

I don't know what it mean, but I try different things in the File Station of my DSM 7 and this one helps:
Under "Properties" I changed "Owner" to "Admin" (the missing folders had my user-name) and under "Authorization" I allowe all permissions. Then I restart minimserver.

Now everything is fine, but this is not the real solution, because I have to use this workaround everytime I add new music.
26-08-2021, 23:55
(26-08-2021 23:51)MofoDesign Wrote:  Under "Properties" I changed "Owner" to "Admin" (the missing folders had my user-name) and under "Authorization" I allowe all permissions. Then I restart minimserver.

I tried the following: I change the "Owner" back to my user-name ... I works too. That could not be the mistake.
27-08-2021, 08:16
On DSM 6, MinimServer runs as the root user so it automatically has access to all folders created by all users.

DSM 7 does not allow MinimServer to run as the root user. Instead, MinimServer runs as the MinimServer user. The MinimServer user is a member of the MinimServer group and the administrators group.

To ensure the MinimServer user has access to all your music folders as well as new folders that are created in the future, do the following:

1) In File Station, right-click the shared folder that contains your music library and select Properties
2) In the properties dialog, select Permission
3) A dialog titled Edit Shared Folder <name> will open
4) In this dialog, the list of users and groups with read access should contain either MinimServer or administrators. If it does, continues with step 8. If it doesn't, continue with step 5.
5) If the list of users and groups with read access does not contain either MinimServer or administrators, click Create
6) This opens a Permission Editor dialog. In the 'User or group' field, select either the administrators group or the MinimServer user, assign read access and click Done.
7) In the Edit Shared Folder <name> dialog, you should see the new permission you have just added
8) In the Edit Shared Folder <name> dialog, check 'Apply to this folder, sub-folders and files' and click Done