Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSD ‘Pops’
06-06-2021, 15:41 (This post was last modified: 06-06-2021 15:55 by gnomus.)
DSD ‘Pops’
I have a Linn Akurate (Katalyst). I saw that this was supposedly capable of playing these DSD files. So I thought I’d try it with Reiners famous recording of Pictures at an Exhibition. I got the DSD64 version from HD Tracks.

All seemed well and good to begin with. However, I soon discovered that I was getting distinct pops or ‘ticks’ as the Akurate moved frome one track to the next. It seems to happen on every track change. It’s faint, but audible. (Edit: Maybe I should clarify - I get one tick per track change.)

I was a little surprised since I thought gapless playback had been ‘solved’ a long time ago.

So now I don’t know if this is peculiar to this recording or if I would get this with other DSD files (I’m reluctant to shell out another £20 to find out).

Can anyone let me know why I am getting this. Is there a solution? Would transcoding it to WAV (like I do with my Flacs) solve this, and, if so, what is the best command to use to do this.

It’s unfortunate because otherwise this 1958 recording sounds pretty spectacular.

Thanks in anticipation.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2021, 20:03 (This post was last modified: 06-06-2021 20:05 by simoncn.)
RE: DSD ‘Pops’
This has been reported a number of times by different users with various renderers. It is a renderer/DAC issue (the Linn), not a server issue. Transcoding to WAV on the server might solve it but might also degrade sound quality. To try this, set the stream.transcode property to dsf:wav24;176.
06-06-2021, 20:46
(06-06-2021 20:03)simoncn Wrote:  This has been reported a number of times by different users with various renderers. It is a renderer/DAC issue (the Linn), not a server issue. Transcoding to WAV on the server might solve it but might also degrade sound quality. To try this, set the stream.transcode property to dsf:wav24;176.

Thanks Simon. I’ll give that a go. Wonder if Linn would be able to fix it. If so I might raise it with them. Because, it would seem that their claim that it is compatible is not correct.

Why would transcoding degrade sound quality below that of my transcoded Flacs?
06-06-2021, 21:34
You should definitely report this to Linn. I would be interested to hear what they say.

Transcoding DSF to WAV might degrade sound quality below what you get from playing the untranscoded DSF files, not below what you get from transcoded FLACs. This is because PCM 24/176.4 audio has a lower resolution than DSF audio. The only way to find out is to try it.
06-06-2021, 21:37
Perfectly happy with my Flacs so far. I’ll look at the Linn site tomorrow and work out how to contact them.

Thanks again.
06-06-2021, 21:57
(06-06-2021 21:37)gnomus Wrote:  Perfectly happy with my Flacs so far. I’ll look at the Linn site tomorrow and work out how to contact them.

Thanks again.

Mmmm. Problem with transcoding. It seems that I only get a few seconds of play before the music pauses for a while, then another 2-3 seconds and so on.

I note that my Minimserver log reports:

D3v2 TYER frame has incorrect value '2016-11-18T00:00:00.000Z' at offset 79258326 in file 24-Bit/Classical Music/Mussorgsky, Modest/Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition [DSD · 64]/01 - Promenade I.dsf (length 79492328)

Not sure what this means, but I did my usual tagging before uploading the files to my NAS (QNAP). Surely that wouldn't have upset anything?

Steve
06-06-2021, 22:07
What program did you use to do the tagging? It has produced an incorrect value in the TYER frame.

This incorrect value should not affect transcoding. I think something else is causing the problem with pausing. The CPU load of DSF transcoding could be too much for your NAS. What NAS is it?
06-06-2021, 22:09
(06-06-2021 22:07)simoncn Wrote:  What program did you use to do the tagging? It has produced an incorrect value in the TYER frame.

This incorrect value should not affect transcoding. I think something else is causing the problem with pausing. The CPU load of DSF transcoding could be too much for your NAS. What NAS is it?

I use Mp3tag program for tagging. The NAS is a QNAP HS-210

Steve
06-06-2021, 22:30
Quick update. I managed to fix the Minimserver log issue. I had incorrectly tagged 'Date' - I normally only use 'Year' but for some reason this file came with the extended date shown above. I've corrected this by just removing the 'Date' field. Minimserver now rescans without errors.

However, playback is still punctuated by interruptions.
07-06-2021, 09:25
The processor is the HS-210 is not very powerful and lacks floating-point support, so floating-point calculations must be emulated in software. Transcoding from DSF to WAV requires floating-point calculations. If you look at Resource Monitor on the NAS while you are playing a transcoded DSF file, you will see CPU usage rising to 100%.

The only solution is to buy a more powerful NAS with floating-point support. I have an HS-251+ and I have been very pleased with it. It has floating-point support and a fast enough processor for any transcoding combination.