Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can MinimServer be configured by configuration file?
08-05-2021, 22:33
Question Can MinimServer be configured by configuration file?
Hi there! I've recently learned about MinimServer and am excited to give it a try. I'd like to run it on my little NixOS server machine.

Is it possible to configure MinimServer using a configuration file? I've found the `--props` parameter of the `startc` command, and also the properties reference on the MinimServer homepage. I naively prepared a little file with some properties in it and passed it to `startc --props my.properties` but that doesn't seem to work, I get a "Properties file not found" error. Same if I pass the absolute path to my properties file.

I'm aware of the console commands functionality, so as a backup option I thought I might write a script that applies my desired settings every time I start MinimServer. If there's config file support I'd prefer to use that though, so I thought I'd ask!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2021, 17:16
RE: Can MinimServer be configured by configuration file?
I use mscript <configfile> for that. The nice thing is that you can put comments in your configfile/configscript. The beginning of my config look like this:

Code:
# Directory for performances we would sell if they were on CDs
prop excludePattern=Attic

# indexTags set which tags are listed as an index by the controlpoint
# albums and tracks are automatically listed. Order is important
prop indexTags={Genre,Composer,NEW=1,Conductor,Musician,Artist}

# any tag that is used should be listed in itemTags. Otherwise they're not
# read from the sound files.
prop itemTags={Album,DisplayAlbum,AlbumArtist,Work,Title,Tracknumber,Opus,

Minimserver saves its configuration, so you do not need to specify the properties at every program start. But having such a configuration script is useful for documenting your choices and restoring everything to the previous, working, configuration when experimenting.
10-05-2021, 20:38
Hi Ernst! Thank you for your help! I think `mscript` will work fine for my purposes, this is great!

I'm now running into a second obstacle. In NixOS all software is installed in a directory tree called the "nix store". It's an immutable directory tree that allows no changes. When I attempt to run `startc` I get this error:

Quote:Error locking configuration lock file /nix/store/pdixympb0y2a7fnnm7ac4rjas1k21nd5-minimserver-2.0.18/minimserver/data/minimserver.config.lock

I imagine minimserver attempts to create a directory for its own state relative to where the software lives on the filesystem, but because the nix store is immutable this won't work.

Is there a way to pass minimserver a path to a directory where it can put its state files?
12-05-2021, 19:06
I got it to run using docker instead. Seems to work great! Please disregard my previous questions!
15-05-2021, 22:26
I'm glad this has solved the issue. For future reference (and for others who might read this thread), the installation structure of MinimServer for Linux cannot be modified to place writeable files in a different location than read-only files. You would need to unpack the MinimServer installation package into a writeable location on the filesystem instead of unpacking it into the "nix store".