Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer on iMac with M1 Chip
24-04-2021, 11:29 (This post was last modified: 10-08-2021 22:17 by Wammer.)
MinimServer on iMac with M1 Chip
I am planning to invest in one of the new 24" iMacs with the M1 chip. I see from elsewhere that MinimServer runs OK under Big Sur, but wanted to check it also runs on Macs with the new M1 chip?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2021, 11:46
RE: MininServer on iMac with M1 Chip
MinimServer runs on M1 Macs using Rosetta emulation, like all other Intel-based apps. Performance should be good (better than an Intel Mac) but not as good as native M1 code. At some point in the future, there will be a native M1 version of MinimServer.
24-04-2021, 12:22
(24-04-2021 11:46)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer runs on M1 Macs using Rosetta emulation, like all other Intel-based apps. Performance should be good (better than an Intel Mac) but not as good as native M1 code. At some point in the future, there will be a native M1 version of MinimServer.

Thanks, Simon. Do you know if MS will transfer across OK using Migration Assistant? I have a lot of non-Apple software applications and I am coming round to the idea that I might be better off doing a clean install (I've done it before so I know its a lot of work!).
24-04-2021, 12:36
I don't see why this wouldn't work but I haven't tried it myself. You would need to migrate Java as well as migrating MinimServer.
10-08-2021, 13:40
(24-04-2021 11:46)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer runs on M1 Macs using Rosetta emulation, like all other Intel-based apps. Performance should be good (better than an Intel Mac) but not as good as native M1 code. At some point in the future, there will be a native M1 version of MinimServer.

I decided to a "clean" install of my new M1 iMac, rather than use Migration Assistant. When installing MinimWatch, how do I ensure that it picks up all my previous settings?
10-08-2021, 22:12
The settings you see in MinimWatch and want to preserve are likely to be MinimServer settings, not MinimWatch settings. This would mean that reinstalling MinimWatch will not affect these settings because they are stored on the device running MinimServer.
14-12-2021, 15:45
RE: MinimServer on iMac with M1 Chip
MinimServer 2.1 has now been released and supports M1 Macs in native mode. For details of how to install this, see this page.