Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your trial license for MinimServer expired => minimserver offline
15-04-2021, 15:45
Your trial license for MinimServer expired => minimserver offline
Hello Simon,

the trial license for my MinimServer expired. As far as I understand I now can buy a full license or let minimserver fall back to the standard configuration.

I wonder why minimserver is offline now. I had expected that it does switch automatically to the standard configuration, turning off many features. Why does this not happen?

I tried to deactivate the (expired) trial license, but this does not help.

Thank you
Gert
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2021, 17:13
RE: Your trial license for MinimServer expired => minimserver offline
After deactivating the expired trial license, restart MinimServer and you will be back to starter mode.

If MinimServer were to fall back automatically to starter mode, you would lose all your custom settings for apparently no reason. I think it is better to give the user the option to activate a full license and continue with the custom settings they created while in trial mode.

I have just implemented a change to send the user a reminder email before their trial license expires. This is possible only if the user has provided an email address when activating the trial license.
15-04-2021, 21:54
(15-04-2021 17:13)simoncn Wrote:  After deactivating the expired trial license, restart MinimServer and you will be back to starter mode.

I have tried this: I have clicked the OK button to deactivate the trial license. Then I have stopped the synology package and started it again. But minimserver is not yet available again.

Quote:If MinimServer were to fall back automatically to starter mode, you would lose all your custom settings for apparently no reason. I think it is better to give the user the option to activate a full license and continue with the custom settings they created while in trial mode.

Are the settings being lost completely when deactivating the trial license? Aren't they restored when upgrading to the full license afterwards?

Quote:I have just implemented a change to send the user a reminder email before their trial license expires. This is possible only if the user has provided an email address when activating the trial license.

Yes, I have got the reminder mail. I just wanted to try how minimserver behaves as long as I did not buy the full license.

Kind regadrds
Gert
15-04-2021, 22:08
Ah, ok. I have found what I did wrong. You have to press OK twice (on two pages) to deactivate the trial license. Sorry. I thought the second page would be only to give some information what has been deactivated.
15-04-2021, 22:13 (This post was last modified: 15-04-2021 22:15 by simoncn.)
(15-04-2021 21:54)tarnkappe Wrote:  I have tried this: I have clicked the OK button to deactivate the trial license. Then I have stopped the synology package and started it again. But minimserver is not yet available again.

I am surprised by this. When this is happening, what does the License tab of the MinimServer configuration web page show as the license type? Also, what do you mean by "not available"? Is there a red icon and error message in MinimWatch?

Edit: I have just seen your post about this.

Quote:Are the settings being lost completely when deactivating the trial license? Aren't they restored when upgrading to the full license afterwards?

They are not lost completely, only until the user works out what is happening and realises that they need to purchase a full license to get back to where they were previously. If MinimServer did not show any indication that there is a problem, it could take a while for the user to realise this is why MinimServer is not working correctly.
16-04-2021, 15:26
At least I managed to activate the full license on the first try. Wink

(15-04-2021 22:13)simoncn Wrote:  If MinimServer did not show any indication that there is a problem, it could take a while for the user to realise this is why MinimServer is not working correctly.

Maybe you could create a virtual folder "Your license has expired. Check the configuration page for details." instead of stopping the server.
16-04-2021, 16:43
A virtual track would probably be better because more text can be shown. I will look into how difficult this would be to implement.