Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Browsing on format type - MQA
08-04-2021, 17:12
Browsing on format type - MQA
Been away from Minimserver for a while but have come back. I have a small number of MQA album downloads from ProStudioMasters. Filenames are of the form title.mqa.flac. Is there a way to configure audioformat browsing so that MQA is identified as a separate type from FLAC ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2021, 22:23
RE: Browsing on format type - MQA
MinimServer is unable to identify MQA audio files because this would require reading and analysing audio data for all files when doing a rescan. MinimServer currently reads tag information but not audio data.

The best way to identify these files as MQA in MinimServer is to add a tag to them (for example, MQA=true) unless the files already contain a suitable tag that can be used for this purpose. For example, I have seen in this post that MQA FLAC files might contain the tag ENCODER=MQAEncode followed by additional encoder information.
09-04-2021, 09:18
thanks, yes the files do have an MQAENCODER tag, here's an example, on its own it does not work as an index tag.

MQAEncode v1.1, 2.3.3+800 (a505918), F8EC1703-7616-45E5-B81E-D60821434062, Dec 20 2018 21:51:47

I only have a few local MQA albums so it may be easier to put them in their own folder. It would be nice to have a mechanism for filtering on whether or not the MQAENCODER tag exists. I tried something like this for the tagFormat option, but it's not quite right, the idea to force format any occurrence of the MQAENCODER tag to display as MQA.

MQAENCODER.indexFormat={"MQA"}
09-04-2021, 11:02
I think the simplest way to support this would be to extend the value option of tagValue to specify a literal value as an alternative to a list of tag names. Something like this:

tagValue: MQAENCODER.value.index={'MQA'}
09-04-2021, 11:29
thanks, but I'm getting an error message from MinimWatch about an incorrect tag name. Here are my settings:

09-04-2021, 12:27
(09-04-2021 11:29)ac16161 Wrote:  thanks, but I'm getting an error message from MinimWatch about an incorrect tag name. Here are my settings:

I suspect that Simon is proposing he updates that MinimServer feature.

In the meantime, would the following be of use.

Set tagValue
Code:
ALTAudioFormat.default={MQAENCODER, #AudioFormat}

Set itemTags
Code:
MQAENCODER, #AudioFormat

Set indexTags
Code:
ALTAudioFormat

If that proves useful, then adding a more appropriate generic tag to your MQA tracks would be better, e.g. ALTMQAENCODER set to 'MQA' perhaps.
09-04-2021, 13:24
thanks, that sort of worked once I removed #AudioFormat from item tags, and creates a new format grouping. Unfortunately, tracks within albumns can have a different value for the MQAENCODER tag. They all have the same MQA prefix, but there are different strings that then follow. So I end up with a large number of MQA format groups.

It's a while since I played around with the tagupdate utility, I don't think it accepts wild cards? This is a niche situation, no worries if it's not doable.
09-04-2021, 17:23
(09-04-2021 13:24)ac16161 Wrote:  thanks, that sort of worked once I removed #AudioFormat from item tags, and creates a new format grouping. Unfortunately, tracks within albumns can have a different value for the MQAENCODER tag.

A step in the right direction. Great.

I presumed the MQAENCODER tag value would be different between albums and not tracks. Angry

However, for the few albums/tracks you have, why not use MP3tag (or similar) and add a tag with a value of 'MQA' which can be used instead of MQAENCODER.

Ps - you are correct in assuming that tag update does not support wildcard characters
09-04-2021, 18:22
agree, a workaround here is straightforward, especially with the additional advice posted above, was just wondering if there was a way of achieving the desired result within the Minimserver configuration.
16-04-2021, 20:53
(09-04-2021 11:02)simoncn Wrote:  I think the simplest way to support this would be to extend the value option of tagValue to specify a literal value as an alternative to a list of tag names. Something like this:

tagValue: MQAENCODER.value.index={'MQA'}

this is working nicely in the 193 update, thanks.