Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking flac does not seem to work
31-03-2021, 19:15
Seeking flac does not seem to work
I don't know whether the problem is on MinimServer's end or whether my Networkplayer simply does not support it but I cannot seem to seek in flacs (or any other format I've tried for that matter) using e.g. the BubbleUPnP or HiFiCast Android Apps on a Yamaha Network Player.

My setup is as follows:
MinimServer 2.0.18 update 191 on a Synology DS220j (DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3)
BubbleUPnP (or HiFiCast) app on Android
UPnP renderer is a Yamaha NP-S303

I read on another thread that there is something like a MinimServer log window but I could not find out where that is. Is there anything I can do/provide to help debug this problem?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2021, 19:52
RE: Seeking flac does not seem to work
MinimServer supports seeking if the control point and renderer have this support. I know seeking works with BubbleUPnP, so it is likely to be a renderer issue.

To see the log window, you need to install MinimWatch on another computer on your local network (see this page). From the MinimWatch minim icon, select 'Show log' to show the log window. In the log window, set the logging level to Debug.

You are now ready to run a test by doing the following.

1) In the log window, click Clear
2) Start playing a track
3) After 30 seconds (as closely as you can time this), attempt to seek forwards or backwards
4) Leave the log running for another 30 seconds
5) Without doing anything else, click 'Save as' in the log window and save a log file
6) Compress the log file to save space (zip or similar) and attach the compressed log file to a post here. Do not post the log data inline because this makes it hard to follow the forum thread.

I will look at the log file to see what is happening when you attempt to do the seek.
31-03-2021, 22:05
(31-03-2021 19:52)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer supports seeking if the control point and renderer have this support. I know seeking works with BubbleUPnP, so it is likely to be a renderer issue.

I tested now a flac and an mp3 file. For the mp3 file, seeking worked! I usually don't use mp3, so I noticed that the seek bar in BubbleUPnP was a different color for the mp3, so it seems that already BubbleUPnP is testing seekability and actually preventing trying to seek if it deems the track unseekable. The test_flac.log didn't seem to do anything when I tried to seek and the seek bar just moved briefly to the position I tapped, then moved back.

Interestingly when I configure BubbleUPnP to unconditionally decode to LPCM via ffmpeg, also flac files are seekable. But it says that my device (my phone?) is doing the ffmpeg decoding, so I suppose that will drain the battery quite heavily…

Could you please look at the logs nonetheless to check whether I could do anything to make the flac files seekable, or whether the BubbleUPnP devs could change something to achieve that?

Thank you for your help, it's greatly appreciated!

Attached File(s)
.log  test_flac.log (Size: 18.13 KB / Downloads: 2)
.log  test_mp3.log (Size: 5.52 KB / Downloads: 2)
01-04-2021, 10:57
Thanks for these logs. I see the seek request in the log for the MP3 file. There is no sign in the log for the FLAC file that the renderer has made any attempt to do seeking. It seems that your renderer cannot seek with FLAC files.

As you renderer is able to do seeking with LPCM streams, a simple solution is to trancode FLAC to LPCM using MinimServer with MinimStreamer. To do this, install MinimStreamer (see this page) and set the stream.transcode property to flac:L16. Alternatively, you could transcode FLAC to WAV by setting this property to flac:wav or flac:wav24. With either of these settings, you should remove the LPCM transcoding setting in BubbleUPnP. Because transcoding is now done on the server, it will not run down your phone battery.