Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General
24-03-2021, 17:12
General
I use minimserver on my Melco with a full licence but I have no idea how to use the comprehensive capabilities and simply cannot understand the extensive pages of guidance.
I purchased an Auralic Vega DAC some time ago and now use its Lightning DS to listen to music on the Melco. It is evident that the Vega builds its own music library which works fine except with a number of double CD's where tracks from the 2 discs are mixed up and numerous tracks don't show at all.
I am advised that it's probably a music tagging issue but I don't know how to resolve or where to start.
The same double CD's show and play correctly if I use the Melco HD app.
Is it possible I need to amend any settings in minimserver? If that's the case what do I need to change and how would I do this?
Appreciate any simple step by step guidance if this is what I need.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2021, 17:20
RE: General
Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

Please post a screenshot of the incorrect display from Lightning DS and also a screenshot of the correct display for the same album from the Melco HD app. This might provide some clues.
24-03-2021, 18:12
Thanks for responding so quickly.
I have minimserver installed on a Windows 10 laptop and also on my Melco with my music collection in a share file on the laptop.
I control the melco HD app and the Vega LDS app using an iPad mini the display of which only shows a small section of the list of songs contained in any of the offending double CD's. I have no idea how to get a screenshot of this limited information on the iPad mini in order to send from my laptop. I do not use the iPad for anything other than controlling my music system.
I am extremely limited in my computer skills.
24-03-2021, 18:31
(24-03-2021 18:12)Oclem Wrote:  I have no idea how to get a screenshot of this limited information on the iPad mini in order to send from my laptop. I do not use the iPad for anything other than controlling my music system.
I am extremely limited in my computer skills.

A quick Google search for 'ipad mini screen shot' provides many help pages including videos.
24-03-2021, 20:08
Okay thanks Alan,

i will look at those and see what I can do. I'm still not sure what the limited amount of track listings showing in such a small screen shot might do but then what do i know?
24-03-2021, 20:23
Can you post multiple images so that we can see the whole picture?
24-03-2021, 21:14
Here goes. I am using a double CD 'The Ultimate Collection' by Ladysmith Black Mambazo by way of example and which help explain what's happening. There are two discs each with 17 tracks.
The first two pictures show what happens with LDS where the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc tracks from each disc are paired until tracks 11 at which point only the remaining tracks of disc 1 show with those on disc 2 have disappeared.
The second two pictures show how the same album displays on Melco HD with all of the tracks on disc 1 showing (but not numbered) in correct order. This is then followed by disc 2 with all tracks showing (but not numbered) in correct order. I was unable to get the Melco HD app to show this information in portrait form hence the last two photos demonstrate what's happening but with some tracks missing.
You will see that I've somehow managed to lose the album art for this album with all the messing around I've been doing myself.

24-03-2021, 22:59
It looks like LDS is not reading the disc number. LDS uses the UPnP browsing protocol to load a copy of the MinimServer library and the disc number is not sent as part of this protocol.

You could use MinimServer tag formatting to include the disc number in the album title, so that you see each disc as an album. What album titles do you have tagged for the two discs at present? You need to use a tag editor to check this because MinimServer does special processing for some formats of album title.

The above doesn't explain the missing tracks.
24-03-2021, 23:51
In truth I have no idea about titles and tagging and have never knowingly tagged anything. Since moving to digital a few years ago I have simply ripped CD's using dBpower amp then transferred the ripped files into the share file on my laptop and rescanned minimserver on my laptop and on the Melco using minimwatch.
Everything has worked just fine until getting the Vega and using LDS which sounds slightly better when streaming rather than using Melco HD via the USB input on the Vega. I hadn't noticed the problem with certain double CD's until recently and this is where I get lost very easily having already been told it's most probably down to a 'tagging issue' which seems to be the conclusion here too.
I thought I would see if I could do something about it myself and downloaded mp3tag thinking its use would be easy and intuitive and that it might be able to scan my files and point me in the right direction. I was clearly wrong and I think it is because I just started trying to use this software without any understanding that has led to the loss of album art on this particular album.
In conclusion, having bought the full licence even though I've never used minimserver to do anything, I would love to be able to use its capabilities to help sort this problem out but I just don't know how or where to start.
I have tried reading the copious amounts of guidance but I simply don't understand any of it. I'm kind of used to looking on the internet whenever I run into a problem with computers where more often than not I can find a simple solution described in a small number of steps often with screenshots. I fear the problem I've got here is way more complicated and unlikely to be so easily solved.
Any further thoughts would be welcomed.
25-03-2021, 01:37
(24-03-2021 23:51)Oclem Wrote:  Since moving to digital a few years ago I have simply ripped CD's using dBpower amp then transferred the ripped files into the share file on my laptop and rescanned minimserver on my laptop and on the Melco using minimwatch.

Any further thoughts would be welcomed.

If you still have dBpoweramp you can use it to investigate the tag values on the album in question.
Assuming you have the default Windows installation, right-clicking one or more of the audio files will present a pop-up window (see below). From there you can select the 'Edit IDtag' option to view the tag values.