Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom tag based on #AudioChannels
21-03-2021, 23:06
Custom tag based on #AudioChannels
Hi, would it be possible to have a custom tag to filter by that would dichotomize the selection of files by the number of channels (as determined by #AudioChannels) to (i.) mono or stereo and (ii.) >2 channels? If so, how can I set this up? I would still want to keep the #AudioChannels tag as a separate one.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2021, 09:51
RE: Custom tag based on #AudioChannels
You can use a tag update file to do this. Here is an example:

@#AUDIOCHANNELS=1
@#AUDIOCHANNELS=2
+MULTICHANNEL=false
@#AUDIOCHANNELS=5.1
+MULTICHANNEL=true
22-03-2021, 16:23
Thank you. Unfortunately, this does nothing for me. I created a tagUpdate.txt file with your code pasted in. I saved it to my Synology NAS and copy-pasted its location/name (/volume1/music2/tagUpdate.txt) from file properties to tagUpdate in the Advanced Properties tab. I re-scanned, re-started my control point (HiFi cast) and nothing changed in the view of my library.
22-03-2021, 17:55
You also need to add MultiChannel to indexTags if you want to see it in the index.
23-03-2021, 19:02
Thank you, Simon! Works like a charm.

I have some dts-cds ripped to dts flac files that I would ideally like to be also captured as multichannel, though they are technically 2 channel (being not decoded). Is there any way around this? I am not sure if Minimserver has a way of telling them apart from regular flac files. If not, I would not mind encoding them to pure dts and have all dts files captured by the multichannel tag as true. If either or both would be possible, I would appreciate spelling out the extra rules for me to add to the tag update file.
23-03-2021, 22:14
MinimServer goes by what the FLAC file encoding says. To recognise these files as multichannel, you would need to encode them as multichannel in the FLAC file. Your other option is to leave these files as encoded as 2-channel and add an explicit MutliChannel tag to each file.

In either case, no change to the tag update file is needed.