Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BubbleUPNP Server/MinimServer/FFMPEG
14-03-2021, 09:09
BubbleUPNP Server/MinimServer/FFMPEG
I am running Minimserver 2 with the Naim app on my control point very happily on my Synology DS716 DSM 6. rendering primarily to a Naim NAC-N172XS. The server and renderer are connected on a wired ethernet. I transcode from Flac to Wav and all is well, playing up to 192.24.

Separately I had a rest from my Spotify subscription and decided to look at alternatives and decided on Qobuz. In order to stream Qobuz to my Naim 172 streamer I installed BubbleUPnP server on the Synology and Android BubbleUPNP on my control point. All works well and I can stream up to 192.24 from Qobuz. A big improvement on Spotify and only £149 a year and although I haven't tried it yet I understand that the Qobuz app will work with Android Auto which is good.

My problem is that I cannot transcode from flac to Wav using Bubble. On the Open Home settings for my 172 renderer in Bubble Server the Audio decoding section is greyed out. Initially I read some stuff about the Synology version of ffmpeg being older and installed the ffmpeg version from SynoCommunity but no joy.

Clearly Minimserver is transcoding quite happily and it would seem to me that the best way forward is to send the Qobuz stream to Minimserver which would make life easier all round and Minimserver would take care of the transcoding, which it already does and I would only have one Bubble library.

Am I right about this and what settings would I need to add to Minimwatch, or elsewhere, to make this happen please?

Once resolved, or even now as it's streaming in Flac anyway, it's kicked some extended life into my Naim streamer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2021, 10:33
RE: BubbleUPNP Server/MinimServer/FFMPEG
You might be able to use the approach described in this thread. I don't use Qobuz so I haven't been able to try this myself.
14-03-2021, 11:26
(14-03-2021 10:33)simoncn Wrote:  You might be able to use the approach described in this thread. I don't use Qobuz so I haven't been able to try this myself.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

Slightly off topic but how does Minimserver transcode from Flac to Wav. Does it use the native ffmpeg on the Synology or do you do something different. I'm trying to get my head round why Minimserver is transcoding without problems, but Bubble Server isn't.
14-03-2021, 12:46
MinimServer can use either an internal transcoder or FFmpeg, depending on your setting for stream.transcode. See this section for details.
14-03-2021, 15:44
Thanks, interesting. I checked my configuration and ffmpeg is set as the transcoder in my Minim watch, so I'm somewhat perplexed as to why BubbleUPNP server can't seem to make it work on the Synology. I have a feeling it's something simple! But then again....
20-03-2021, 12:13
(14-03-2021 15:44)philiph Wrote:  Thanks, interesting. I checked my configuration and ffmpeg is set as the transcoder in my Minim watch, so I'm somewhat perplexed as to why BubbleUPNP server can't seem to make it work on the Synology. I have a feeling it's something simple! But then again....

FYI I use this ffmpeg on my synology; very efficient (better than the community one, it seems)

https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/
20-03-2021, 18:11 (This post was last modified: 20-03-2021 18:17 by bubbleguuum.)
BubbleUPnP Server 0.9-update39 now automatically detects the FFmpeg syno package and use its ffmpeg binaries if found.
The advantage of the community version (over johnvansickle's) is that they support hardware GPU video decoding on selected Intel models (QSV). Not that it matters for MinimServer's of purely audio use...
21-03-2021, 10:28
Pity BubbleUPNP is not ported on DSM 7 ...
I know you can use docker; but it would be better to not add layers of complexity !
21-03-2021, 12:45
(21-03-2021 10:28)lyapounov Wrote:  Pity BubbleUPNP is not ported on DSM 7 ...
I know you can use docker; but it would be better to not add layers of complexity !

Not a problem yet for me as DSM 7.0 is only in pre-release, hopefully it will come along soon.
21-03-2021, 17:52 (This post was last modified: 21-03-2021 17:53 by bubbleguuum.)
(21-03-2021 12:45)philiph Wrote:  
(21-03-2021 10:28)lyapounov Wrote:  Pity BubbleUPNP is not ported on DSM 7 ...

Not a problem yet for me as DSM 7.0 is only in pre-release, hopefully it will come along soon.

For now and for the foreseable future, the method to run BubbleUPnP Server on DSM 7 is via Docker, using the new multi-platform images that I just made with a lot of care put into them.
Synology really dropped the ball breaking package compatibility from DSM 6 to 7. Not only that, but if I wanted to make a DSM 7 package, I need to buy a new NAS because if I update my existing DSM 6 one, I would not be able to test the DSM 6 package on it...