Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to best organise your music?
05-03-2021, 02:03
Question How to best organise your music?
Talking about folder structure here, not tagging. Has anyone found the Holy Grail? Tagging certainly alleviates some of these pains but how music is stored is still quite important (to me anyway...)

I have a fairly diverse music collection, and have struggled to find the best way to organise it, and this only gets worse as the collection grows.

My music spans different genres, mediums (CD rips, online purchases, radio shows, DJ mixes, singles, free individual songs, EPs, multiple "random" songs by the same artist), albums with multiple genres, etc.

Some of the biggest annoyances I've found are:
- having lots of singles, ie albums with one or two tracks
- radio shows, DJ mixes , etc- no album art, annoying to have each track in a single folder
- wanting to group singles by record label (this is very important for some of my music) - but also wanting to see albums from these labels - in one "view"

I can't work out the best way to structure it.

Year\Artist\Album - doesn't work as it's no use for browsing a single artist or genre
Artist\Year\Album or Artist\Album - top level is thousands of artists
Genre\Artist\Album - Genre is too subjective/can change per album/top level can't accommodate multiple genres
Year\Artist - not great for browsing per artist or genre

I'm sure the answer is a mix of good tagging and organisation - but I'm not sure what it is yet! Any insight would be welcome...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
How to best organise your music? - edj - 05-03-2021 02:03