Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New to Minimserver - a few questions
11-06-2013, 16:15
RE: New to Minimserver - a few questions
(11-06-2013 12:41)stampie Wrote:  "Composer.displayRole={author}" - this works for me with compatibility mode set to Off.
Nick

Thanks, that's good to know.

A short explanation: The composer information can be sent to the control point using either of these XML tags:
<upnp:artist role="Composer">
<upnp:author role="Composer">

Some UPnP control points recognise the 'artist' variation, others recognise the 'author' variation, and some don't recognise either. It seems the UPnP stack in the Naim player (used when compatibility mode is on) recognises the 'artist' variation, and the UPnP stack in n-stream (used when compatibility mode is off) recognises the 'author' variation.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2013, 23:38
"Composer.displayRole={author}" - this works for me also with compatibility mode set to Off.

This does fix the problem when UPnP compatibility set to off.
Thanks

Patrick
12-06-2013, 09:19
To take up on this, a suggestion for a possible future enhancement: it would be great to have device-specific profiles for settings like displayRole or transcoding.
12-06-2013, 14:30 (This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 14:47 by simoncn.)
(12-06-2013 09:19)winxi Wrote:  To take up on this, a suggestion for a possible future enhancement: it would be great to have device-specific profiles for settings like displayRole or transcoding.

The main problem with doing this (apart from the amount of work required) is that ohNet doesn't pass the User-Agent header from a UPnP request to the device provider code. Without this, MinimServer doesn't know what kind of control point has sent the UPnP Browse request.
13-06-2013, 23:28
(11-06-2013 16:15)simoncn Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 12:41)stampie Wrote:  "Composer.displayRole={author}" - this works for me with compatibility mode set to Off.
Nick

Thanks, that's good to know.

A short explanation: The composer information can be sent to the control point using either of these XML tags:
<upnp:artist role="Composer">
<upnp:author role="Composer">

Some UPnP control points recognise the 'artist' variation, others recognise the 'author' variation, and some don't recognise either. It seems the UPnP stack in the Naim player (used when compatibility mode is on) recognises the 'artist' variation, and the UPnP stack in n-stream (used when compatibility mode is off) recognises the 'author' variation.

I sent this information to Naim. They said that this issue will be addressed in the next release of the nStream app.
12-07-2013, 11:42
Custom views
Another new user here, I thought was a good idea not to open a new thread.
So, I'm evaluating MinimServer with a Linn DS. Currently using JRiver Upnp server because I've been using it in the last few years as my player (used to have a USB dac before the DS)
I'd like to switch to MinimServer to use a cheap plug computer rather than a full Atom board.
But I'm struggling to browse my music library as I used to do with JRiver: in JRiver I've created some custom views and I can not replicate them in MinimServer. For example, I browse my library by:

Code:
Composer --> Genre --> Work Title (custom tag) --> Artist/Year

In this way I can choose
Code:
Beethoven, Chamber Music, String Quartet No. 12, Quartetto Italiano, 1972
I've also got another custom tag called 'Grouping' which groups different works into the same Opus.

Code:
Beethoven --> Chamber Music -->String Quartets Op. 18, String Quartet in F major -->  Quartetto Italiano, 1972

Can i have something like this with MinimServer? In MinimServer I've have to choose the 'Genre' folder under 'Composer' to display all the genres for examples, which makes the browsing a bit 'convoluted'

Thanks in advance for your help,
Massi
12-07-2013, 13:00
RE: Custom views
(12-07-2013 11:42)realmassy Wrote:  Another new user here, I thought was a good idea not to open a new thread.
So, I'm evaluating MinimServer with a Linn DS. Currently using JRiver Upnp server because I've been using it in the last few years as my player (used to have a USB dac before the DS)
I'd like to switch to MinimServer to use a cheap plug computer rather than a full Atom board.
But I'm struggling to browse my music library as I used to do with JRiver: in JRiver I've created some custom views and I can not replicate them in MinimServer. For example, I browse my library by:

Code:
Composer --> Genre --> Work Title (custom tag) --> Artist/Year

In this way I can choose
Code:
Beethoven, Chamber Music, String Quartet No. 12, Quartetto Italiano, 1972
I've also got another custom tag called 'Grouping' which groups different works into the same Opus.

Code:
Beethoven --> Chamber Music -->String Quartets Op. 18, String Quartet in F major -->  Quartetto Italiano, 1972

Can i have something like this with MinimServer? In MinimServer I've have to choose the 'Genre' folder under 'Composer' to display all the genres for examples, which makes the browsing a bit 'convoluted'

Thanks in advance for your help,
Massi

Yes, you can configure MinimServer to recognise and index any custom tags you have in your library. For a full description of how to configure MinimServer, please read the MinimServer user guide. The description of how to configure custom tags is in this section.
14-07-2013, 07:34
(12-07-2013 13:00)simoncn Wrote:  Yes, you can configure MinimServer to recognise and index any custom tags you have in your library. For a full description of how to configure MinimServer, please read the MinimServer user guide. The description of how to configure custom tags is in this section.

Hi Simon,
I think you didn't get what realmassy is really looking for. Huh
I think he has the same concern about minimserver that I
had mentionened in my feature proposal of a quickselect path in March:

http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=503 Angel

The flexibility of MinS is really great but on the downnside
there are just too many clicks you have to make to get what you want.

This is no problem for me when You are doing some exotic searches
in your library.
But it is not elegant when you are doing standard selections
as described by realmassy

And after using MinS for while now I too really think
there should be some kind of predefined Search trees. Exclamation
4 clicks really makes a diffference to 7 clicks !
It's the only reason I am still
using Asset Upnp in parallel to MinS.

I am not concerned about the way it will be implemented.
I just wanted to make a sugggestion how it could be done
in the link above.

But in the meantime it is really the feature I am missing most
(at nearly every use) in MinS Cool
14-07-2013, 10:22 (This post was last modified: 14-07-2013 10:23 by bbrip.)
Well, I dont think we want to get anywhere near search "trees" in Minimserver. If you want to mess around with trees, there is Twonky to do just that Wink

a concept that might work in this respect but which I guess may be pretty complex for Simon to code is that Minim remembers the last 10 or so library locations visited in a sort "recently visited" list.

Example: if you browse Beethoven -- Chambermusic frequently that would show up there. Not sure how meaningful and feasible this would be, though...

I the end it doesnt take much longer to do 3 or 4 clicks to be where you want to be. I never get up to 7 or more Wink

bbrip
14-07-2013, 10:33
(14-07-2013 07:34)Oliviander Wrote:  And after using MinS for while now I too really think
there should be some kind of predefined Search trees. Exclamation
4 clicks really makes a diffference to 7 clicks !
It's the only reason I am still
using Asset Upnp in parallel to MinS.

Which control point do you use? BubbleUPnP, for example, allows to set 'bookmarks' for folders (i.e. a 'search tree'). There may be other control point software which supports this kind of bookmarking.