Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
issues with ffmpeg
31-01-2021, 18:07
issues with ffmpeg
Hello

I helped a friend who just switched to minimServer 2

He has a DS214 play

Install went smoothly; until I installed minimstreamer.

Then suddenly, he would not accept the ffmpeg downloaded from https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/ the file ffmpeg-release-i686-static.tar.xz

I put the ffmpeg file in /volume1/MinimServer/opt/bin/

It was working before, but now when I type in stream.converter this value
/volume1/MinimServer/opt/bin/ffmpeg

it says in red:

"Converter not installed; correct value and retry"

Surprisingly, when I put nothing in this field, it automatically replaces by ffmpeg, and I don't have anymore the red message. This is weird as I thought that by default it would use the ffmpeg downloaded

Now, I know that it is using the synology ffmpeg because when I add in stream.options

convOut=-af aresample=resampler=soxr:precision=33:cheby=1:dither_method=shibata

then the red warning comes back... Which means that it is using the synology ffmpeg, not the one in /volume1/MinimServer/opt/bin/ffmpeg

What am I doing wrong ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2021, 18:39
RE: issues with ffmpeg
FYI, the recommended setting is just opt/bin/ffmpeg (no need for /volume1/MinimServer). This shouldn't cause the problem you are seeing, though.

Are you sure you typed the path correctly (lower-case v in volume1)?

Does the ffmpeg file that you downloaded from johnvansickle have execute permission set? This is required.

If you type /volume1/MinimServer/opt/bin/ffmpeg in a terminal window, what happens?
31-01-2021, 19:33
(31-01-2021 18:39)simoncn Wrote:  FYI, the recommended setting is just opt/bin/ffmpeg (no need for /volume1/MinimServer). This shouldn't cause the problem you are seeing, though.

Are you sure you typed the path correctly (lower-case v in volume1)?

Does the ffmpeg file that you downloaded from johnvansickle have execute permission set? This is required.

If you type /volume1/MinimServer/opt/bin/ffmpeg in a terminal window, what happens?

Will ask my friend to check.

But again, it worked before switching to MinimServer V2...

Anyway, will explore your recommendation. Most probably it is something on my side.

Thx Simon
31-01-2021, 20:38 (This post was last modified: 31-01-2021 20:38 by lyapounov.)
(31-01-2021 18:39)simoncn Wrote:  If you type /volume1/MinimServer/opt/bin/ffmpeg in a terminal window, what happens?

It says permission denied

This is weird, as I tested on my own NAS: I have also permission denied; but I don't have the red flag issue and convOut is working perfectly...
31-01-2021, 21:10 (This post was last modified: 31-01-2021 22:58 by simoncn.)
You need to add the execute permission to the ffmpeg file if not already present (check this with File Station).

Edit: File Station calls permission "privilege". To see it, you need to use the 3 dots menu at the top right and check Privilege. The ffmpeg file should have privilege rwxr-xr-x.