Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
App displays no Artist
17-01-2021, 17:36
RE: App displays no Artist
Re. Cambridge Audio android apps.
I’ve just come across this thread not having browsed the forum for a while.

I have a Cambridge Audio CXNv2 streamer with a MinimServer2 library of “classical” music and opera. I am still using the Cambridge Connect app as my control point because the newer Stream Magic app is not fit for (my) purpose. Although it works with UPnP/DNLA servers, it seems to have been designed more for streaming tracks from services such as Tidal and Spotify. As other forum users have posted in this thread, the newer app “edits” some of the metadata and doesn’t display it correctly on the “Playing from Media Library Screen”.

I have designed my own bespoke (i.e. non-standard) tagging regime for my FLAC encoded audio files for searching the library and use the MinimServer advanced property “tagFormat” to create the strings I want to see displayed in the notional Album, Artist and Title areas on the Cambridge Connect app display. So my Artist tag contains more than just an artist name E.g. :-

Album.displayFormat={$Album^$Date^ [^]}, Artist.displayFormat={$Orchestra^^, $Hon^^ $Conductor$Artist$Chorus}, Group.displayFormat={$Composer^^: $Composition^^$Key^ in ^$Name^ (^)}, Title.displayFormat={$Mvt^^ $Movement}

This works well for me on the Cambridge Connect app. I have tried using the newer Stream Magic app but this doesn’t behave in the same way and seems to apply its own formatting rules. E.g. an Artist tag formatted as “Viviane Hagner (vln)” would be displayed as “Hagner, Viviane (vln)”. With multiple artists, e.g. sending “Kate Hughes (sop), Jane Hill (mez)”, only the first artist would be displayed.

In late July 2020, I raised a support ticket on the Cambridge site and subsequently supplied them with some example DIDL-Lite XML data that was sent to the control point from MinimServer and the corresponding FLAC files from my server. This was then going to be sent to their engineers to investigate. I suggested they create a new option in the app’s settings to display the metadata as sent, i.e. in the same way as the original Cambridge Connect app behaved. I haven’t heard back yet as to whether they will implement a change to the app or not.

JohnT
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2021, 16:21
(17-01-2021 17:36)JohnT Wrote:  Album.displayFormat={$Album^$Date^ [^]}, Artist.displayFormat={$Orchestra^^, $Hon^^ $Conductor$Artist$Chorus}, Group.displayFormat={$Composer^^: $Composition^^$Key^ in ^$Name^ (^)}, Title.displayFormat={$Mvt^^ $Movement}

Very interesting. Unfortunately I get an error message from the media server:

incorrect tag name 'Orchestra' in option 'Artist.displayFormat' in property 'tagFormat'

Which version of the did you use?
18-01-2021, 16:30
(18-01-2021 16:21)Albufeira Wrote:  Very interesting. Unfortunately I get an error message from the media server:

incorrect tag name 'Orchestra' in option 'Artist.displayFormat' in property 'tagFormat'

Any tag name used within the tagFormat property must also be present in either the indexTags or itemTags property.
18-01-2021, 16:37
(17-01-2021 17:36)JohnT Wrote:  This works well for me on the Cambridge Connect app.

Would you please post a screenshot? I would be very grateful if I could then decide for myself whether I would also make the settings.
19-01-2021, 23:35
(18-01-2021 16:37)Albufeira Wrote:  
(17-01-2021 17:36)JohnT Wrote:  This works well for me on the Cambridge Connect app.

Would you please post a screenshot? I would be very grateful if I could then decide for myself whether I would also make the settings.
Since you are using the iOS app and JohnT the android version there might be some differences in displaying
22-01-2021, 20:05
Albufeira, on the Android Cambridge Connect app (v3.2.3) the meta data is displayed on the top two rows of the display, with a larger font size on the top row. For commercial album downloads or cd rips, the track title is displayed on the top row with the album name and album artist name (separated by a hyphen) on the second row, either or both scrolling if the text exceeds the screen width.

In my MinimServer library, an album might contain a mixture of single movement and multi-movement works. For multi-movement works, e.g. a concerto - in the screen shots, I have the movement number and name as the track title, the composer and composition as the album name, then the orchestra, conductor and any soloists as the artist name. The second row scrolls so I have included two screen captures to show this.

JohnT