Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
App displays no Artist
15-01-2021, 07:16
RE: App displays no Artist
Thank you for your very interesting feedback. It is always a great pleasure to read the answers after a post here in the forum. I don't know of any other forum that is so qualified and quick to discuss.

Incidentally, I am using the Cambridge Audio (CA) Connect app version 3.2.1 on an iPad with IOS 12.4.9. I can understand the behavior described by Peter above.

So far you have helped me and I will now start to complete the last remaining audio tags. Finally, I'll figure out how to operate the control point, which is most important to me.

By the way, I haven't found a better control point for iOS than the CA Connect app. Glider, mconnect, C5 or MyAudioStream are no serious alternatives. Among other things, the largest possible album cover preview is important to me, as the apps mentioned cannot offer that sufficiently. The new StreamMagic app is also going in a catastrophically wrong direction.

Thank you very much again.

Best regards.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2021, 13:39 (This post was last modified: 15-01-2021 13:46 by Alandbush.)
(15-01-2021 07:16)Albufeira Wrote:  By the way, I haven't found a better control point for iOS than the CA Connect app. Glider, mconnect, C5 or MyAudioStream are no serious alternatives. Among other things, the largest possible album cover preview is important to me, as the apps mentioned cannot offer that sufficiently. The new StreamMagic app is also going in a catastrophically wrong direction.

Well, there is always the old faithful Linn Kinsky app.
Edit: oops sorry, this no longer appears in the App store

Dare I mention, again, my favourite fidata Music app. And then the popular Lumin app.
All of these apps display large/fullscreen artwork in Landscape or Portrait mode, for the track playing in the play queue.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

15-01-2021, 18:14
(15-01-2021 13:39)Alandbush Wrote:  
(15-01-2021 07:16)Albufeira Wrote:  By the way, I haven't found a better control point for iOS than the CA Connect app. Glider, mconnect, C5 or MyAudioStream are no serious alternatives. Among other things, the largest possible album cover preview is important to me, as the apps mentioned cannot offer that sufficiently. The new StreamMagic app is also going in a catastrophically wrong direction.

Dare I mention, again, my favourite fidata Music app. And then the popular Lumin app.
All of these apps display large/fullscreen artwork in Landscape or Portrait mode, for the track playing in the play queue.
Well, in my experience the CA streamer (the StreamMagic 6 V1) crashes i.c.w. the Linn Kinsky app (has something to do with volume control???).
If Bubble Server is installed (openhome) it is possible to use Linn Kazoo or
Lumin but still with issues regarding volume control.
It is not possible to use the new StreamMagic app with early models CA streamers like the NP30, SM6 V1 and the SM6 V2.
I agree with the OP that fullscreen artwork is nice to have, not only Cambridge audio is going in a catastrophically wrong direction, also the new Linn app is designed by someone with apparently perfect sight.
15-01-2021, 19:48
(15-01-2021 18:14)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  
(15-01-2021 13:39)Alandbush Wrote:  

Well, in my experience the CA streamer (the StreamMagic 6 V1) crashes i.c.w. the Linn Kinsky app (has something to do with volume control???).
If Bubble Server is installed (openhome) it is possible to use Linn Kazoo or
Lumin but still with issues regarding volume control.
It is not possible to use the new StreamMagic app with early models CA streamers like the NP30, SM6 V1 and the SM6 V2.
I agree with the OP that fullscreen artwork is nice to have, not only Cambridge audio is going in a catastrophically wrong direction, also the new Linn app is designed by someone with apparently perfect sight.

I just tried the Fidata app and noticed this is the first app that is able to control the volume of the SM6 V1!!
Might be an alternative for the CA Connect app.
Haven't tested gapless yet, until now the only app capable making the SM6 play gapless was BubbleUpnP on Android.
16-01-2021, 14:37
Thanks for your feedback.

I knew the Lumin app. Unfortunately, the app does not recognize my Cambridge Audio 851N streamer, so it is not possible to play music. The Lumin app only seems to be compatible with Lumin devices.

I probably overlooked the Fidata app. After installing the app and I think the design is great. The scalable cover preview in particular is excellent. Unfortunately the volume control doesn't work and the display of technical details (44.1 kHz / 24bit PCM) is missing, both of which would be bearable.

The scale for the duration of the track being played is available, but progress is not shown. After all, only one title will ever be played from the playlist. The next one must always be started by tapping. Both points mean the knockout for this app. Really a shame. Apparently some interfaces are programmed in such a way that only the proprietary original app maps all functions.

The Connect app is far from perfect, but it remains my favorite.
16-01-2021, 15:09 (This post was last modified: 16-01-2021 15:11 by Peter StreamMagic.)
(16-01-2021 14:37)Albufeira Wrote:  Thanks for your feedback.

I knew the Lumin app. Unfortunately, the app does not recognize my Cambridge Audio 851N streamer, so it is not possible to play music. The Lumin app only seems to be compatible with Lumin devices.

I probably overlooked the Fidata app. After installing the app and I think the design is great. The scalable cover preview in particular is excellent. Unfortunately the volume control doesn't work and the display of technical details (44.1 kHz / 24bit PCM) is missing, both of which would be bearable.

The scale for the duration of the track being played is available, but progress is not shown. After all, only one title will ever be played from the playlist. The next one must always be started by tapping. Both points mean the knockout for this app. Really a shame. Apparently some interfaces are programmed in such a way that only the proprietary original app maps all functions.

The Connect app is far from perfect, but it remains my favorite.
The Lumin app is made for openhome renderers like Linn, Lumin and some others. Your CA 851N is UPnP / DNLA and indeed Lumin wont work with your renderer.
It is possible to "convert" your 851N to openhome by installing Bubble Server.
At this moment I have some problems using Bubble Server (new ISP and router Angry ) so I am not able to do some tests, normally it should work fine.

Being very enthusiast yesterday, I must agree the progress-bar is not working and sometimes the app seems to be not connected and is not responsive.

Since you use a CA streamer, do you by any chance also use a CA amplifier? (Volume control by C-bus?), no other than the Cambridge Audio apps can control amplifier volume this way.
On the other hand if you use you streamer as a digital amplifier, I am a little surprised the Fidata volume control works with the V1 and not with the 851N
16-01-2021, 16:35
Bubbles is not an option as long as I'm using iOS and I don't think I'll switch to Android. No, I am not using a CA amplifier, so I have no experience of using the C-Bus. In fact, use my streamer as a preamp. Perhaps the 851N is a little different from the SM6 in this case.
16-01-2021, 16:44 (This post was last modified: 16-01-2021 19:55 by Peter StreamMagic.)
(16-01-2021 16:35)Albufeira Wrote:  Bubbles is not an option as long as I'm using iOS and I don't think I'll switch to Android. No, I am not using a CA amplifier, so I have no experience of using the C-Bus. In fact, use my streamer as a preamp. Perhaps the 851N is a little different from the SM6 in this case.
Bubble Server is something else than BubbleUpnP (controlpoint).
You have to install Bubble Server on your NAS or PC https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/
It is then possible to use openhome controlpoints (iOS) for your 851N
16-01-2021, 16:56
(12-01-2021 22:37)simoncn Wrote:  The issue is caused by the StreamMagic app misinterpreting Composer and AlbumArtist values as Artist values. This is because the StreamMagic app doesn't understand the "role" attribute on the upnp:artist metadata XML tag sent by the server to the control point. The "role" attribute is used by UPnP servers to send Composer and AlbumArtist information to control points and is supported correctly by most UPnP servers and most UPnP control points.

To disable MinimServer's use of the "role" attribute, you can set tagCustom to an empty value (on MinimServer 0.8) or you can set upnpCustom to roleType={} (on MinimServer 2). With this setting, the StreamMagic app will display Artist information for both classical and non-classical albums and will not display Composer or AlbumArtist information.

If you want to see Composer or AlbumArtist information in the StreamMagic app as well as Artist information, you can use displayFormat to add Composer or AlbumArtist information to the Album and/or Title values.

After leaving tagCustom blank, I started to work intensively on the genre field so that I only have sixteen different genres left. For me that is completely sufficient. That went very well and quickly with mp3tag. So prepared I find access to albums, artist or composer. The Connect app shows Album, Album Artist, Title and Artist in the album view (=track playing in the play queue). That's okay with classical music also, even if the composer is missing. But I usually choose access through the composer. The display of samplers (various artists) is now okay and absolutely workable. I'm very satisfied.
16-01-2021, 17:07
(16-01-2021 16:56)Albufeira Wrote:  
(12-01-2021 22:37)simoncn Wrote:  The issue is caused by the StreamMagic app misinterpreting Composer and AlbumArtist values as Artist values. This is because the StreamMagic app doesn't understand the "role" attribute on the upnp:artist metadata XML tag sent by the server to the control point. The "role" attribute is used by UPnP servers to send Composer and AlbumArtist information to control points and is supported correctly by most UPnP servers and most UPnP control points.

To disable MinimServer's use of the "role" attribute, you can set tagCustom to an empty value (on MinimServer 0.8) or you can set upnpCustom to roleType={} (on MinimServer 2). With this setting, the StreamMagic app will display Artist information for both classical and non-classical albums and will not display Composer or AlbumArtist information.

If you want to see Composer or AlbumArtist information in the StreamMagic app as well as Artist information, you can use displayFormat to add Composer or AlbumArtist information to the Album and/or Title values.

After leaving tagCustom blank, I started to work intensively on the genre field so that I only have sixteen different genres left. For me that is completely sufficient. That went very well and quickly with mp3tag. So prepared I find access to albums, artist or composer. The Connect app shows Album, Album Artist, Title and Artist in the album view (=track playing in the play queue). That's okay with classical music also, even if the composer is missing. But I usually choose access through the composer. The display of samplers (various artists) is now okay and absolutely workable. I'm very satisfied.
Glad you have found a satisfying solution.
I am still a bit puzzled why composer is not displayed in your case.