Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Composer information
01-05-2013, 03:28
RE: Composer information
[attachment=178][attachment=177][attachment=176][attachment=175][attachment=174]
(29-04-2013 15:51)simoncn Wrote:  From this log, it looks like you have AlbumArtist tags on all your albums.

The albums I have that show composer information in Kinsky don't have an AlbumArtist tag. Please try removing this tag on one alnum to see if it fixes the problem. IT DOES NOT

If this is the cause of the problem, you will need to contact Linn to find out why Kinsky is doing this.

I have found that two of three albums in a recently dowloaded series from Qobuz displayed Composer information in both Folder and Tag views on Kinsky PC using version 0.72. The one that did not had a 'type 4' notice in the log. No record displays Composer info on Kinsky iPad. I include screenshots of the MP3Tag and PC Kinsky screens of one record that worked and the one that did not.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2013, 07:46
(01-05-2013 03:28)jolivetj Wrote:  I have found that two of three albums in a recently dowloaded series from Qobuz displayed Composer information in both Folder and Tag views on Kinsky PC using version 0.72. The one that did not had a 'type 4' notice in the log. No record displays Composer info on Kinsky iPad. I include screenshots of the MP3Tag and PC Kinsky screens of one record that worked and the one that did not.

The first of these images has an ungrouped view of the album. MinimServer shows this view when you have used the index to select a partial subset of the album's content. In the ungrouped view, Kinsky can display up to 5 items of information for each track, including the composer if available.

The second of these images shows a grouped view of the album. MinimServer shows this view when you have selected the album's complete contents. In the grouped view, Kinsky displays only one item of information for each track. This displayed item will be the artist unless all artists for all tracks of the album are identical. If all artists for all tracks of the album are identical, the displayed item will be the composer if available.

For the albums in these images, all artists for all tracks of the album are not identical, so Kinsky is showing the artist in grouped view instead of showing the composer.

The folder view in MinimServer always uses the ungrouped view. This is why you are seeing the composer information when using folder view.
02-05-2013, 13:18
(02-05-2013 07:46)simoncn Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 03:28)jolivetj Wrote:  I have found that two of three albums in a recently dowloaded series from Qobuz displayed Composer information in both Folder and Tag views on Kinsky PC using version 0.72. The one that did not had a 'type 4' notice in the log. No record displays Composer info on Kinsky iPad. I include screenshots of the MP3Tag and PC Kinsky screens of one record that worked and the one that did not.

The first of these images has an ungrouped view of the album. MinimServer shows this view when you have used the index to select a partial subset of the album's content. In the ungrouped view, Kinsky can display up to 5 items of information for each track, including the composer if available.

The second of these images shows a grouped view of the album. MinimServer shows this view when you have selected the album's complete contents. In the grouped view, Kinsky displays only one item of information for each track. This displayed item will be the artist unless all artists for all tracks of the album are identical. If all artists for all tracks of the album are identical, the displayed item will be the composer if available.

For the albums in these images, all artists for all tracks of the album are not identical, so Kinsky is showing the artist in grouped view instead of showing the composer.

The folder view in MinimServer always uses the ungrouped view. This is why you are seeing the composer information when using folder view.

Thank you Simon,

Therefore, I only get the grouped view in Kinsky iPad and almost always in Kinsky PC Tag view. I wonder if that could eventually be changed since I l iketo see the Composer info on every track. Many recordings of récitals, concerts or compilations have different composers per track. As you can see from the Screens, I have compensated for the lack of Composer info in the grouped view by editing the TagFormat in Properties as follows:

Artist.displayFormat={$Composer$artist$conductor$orchestra^^^ / }

Merci
02-05-2013, 13:42
(02-05-2013 13:18)jolivetj Wrote:  Thank you Simon,

Therefore, I only get the grouped view in Kinsky iPad and almost always in Kinsky PC Tag view. I wonder if that could eventually be changed since I l iketo see the Composer info on every track. Many recordings of récitals, concerts or compilations have different composers per track. As you can see from the Screens, I have compensated for the lack of Composer info in the grouped view by editing the TagFormat in Properties as follows:

Merci

It isn't possible to do anything in MinimServer to make composers more visible in the Kinsky grouped view. Any change to this will need to be made on the Kinsky side.
02-05-2013, 15:37
(02-05-2013 13:42)simoncn Wrote:  [quote='jolivetj' pid='3282' dateline='1367497089']
Thank you Simon,

Merci

It isn't possible to do anything in MinimServer to make composers more visible in the Kinsky grouped view. Any change to this will need to be made on the Kinsky side.
[/quot
Merci. I will contact Linn help and let you know if there are developments.
Thank you again for your awesome software!
02-05-2013, 18:01
(02-05-2013 15:37)jolivetj Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 13:42)simoncn Wrote:  [quote='jolivetj' pid='3282' dateline='1367497089']
Thank you Simon,

Merci
[/quot
Thank you again for your awesome software!

One final question: do you recommend another program instead of Kinsky?
02-05-2013, 19:01 (This post was last modified: 02-05-2013 19:09 by simoncn.)
(02-05-2013 18:01)jolivetj Wrote:  One final question: do you recommend another program instead of Kinsky?

I've tried a number of other progams, and they all have some good points and some bad points. Overall, I find Kinsky works best for me.

Edit: I thought composer information was working well with ChorusDS, but this was based on a misunderstanding. I'm not if there are any control points that do a good job of showing composer information for individual tracks. Your workaround of using Title.displayFormat is a reasonable solution. Another option would be to use Artist.displayFormat to show the composer as part of the artist value.
06-05-2013, 18:09
(02-05-2013 18:01)jolivetj Wrote:  [quote='jolivetj' pid='3284' dateline='1367505437']
[quote='simoncn' pid='3283' dateline='1367498562']
[quote='jolivetj' pid='3282' dateline='1367497089']
Thank you Simon,

Merci
[/quot

It appears Linn will incorporate a better Composer info in Kinsky! See below a copy of a recent e-mail I received from them on this subject:
'Dear Jacques,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I have passed these files to our Software design team and they have included this feature for future releases of Kinsky.

Best Regards

Colin
Customer Support
Linn Products Limited
Tel: +44 (0) 141 307 7777
Fax: +44 (0) 141 644 4262
Email: helpline@linn.co.uk
Forums:  http://forums.linn.co.uk'
06-05-2013, 18:38
(06-05-2013 18:09)jolivetj Wrote:  It appears Linn will incorporate a better Composer info in Kinsky! See below a copy of a recent e-mail I received from them on this subject:
'Dear Jacques,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I have passed these files to our Software design team and they have included this feature for future releases of Kinsky.

Best Regards

Colin
Customer Support
Linn Products Limited
Tel: +44 (0) 141 307 7777
Fax: +44 (0) 141 644 4262
Email: helpline@linn.co.uk
Forums:  http://forums.linn.co.uk'

Thanks, that's great news!