Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC Sounds app - play from beginning via minimstreamer?
29-11-2020, 10:17
BBC Sounds app - play from beginning via minimstreamer?
The BBC Sounds app has been around for a while now, and it seems that the beeb aren't doing much to fulfill their initial promise of supporting more than just casting to Chromecast.

I use minimstreamer for listening to live radio on my Yamaha musiccast systems. For that it's perfect, and I love it. However, there's a particular show I like to listen to at weekends on BBC 6 music which starts too early for me.
It's normally about half way through when I wake up.

On the BBC sounds app, it's possible to select "listen from start" even while the show is still being broadcast. Great if you want to cast to Chromecast, but not so great for anything else.

I'm wondering if there might be a way for minimstreamer to emulate this feature? Is there already a method for setting it up or should I submit a feature request?

Thanks, Kevin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2020, 12:35
RE: BBC Sounds app - play from beginning via minimstreamer?
(29-11-2020 10:17)captainkev Wrote:  I use minimstreamer for listening to live radio on my Yamaha musiccast systems. For that it's perfect, and I love it. However, there's a particular show I like to listen to at weekends on BBC 6 music which starts too early for me.

Would this Minimstreamer feature be of use?
29-11-2020, 12:53
MinimStreamer doesn't know anything about which program is playing and when it started. BBC Sounds has an advantage there! Also, unless MinimStreamer has been recording the program snce the beginning, it has no realistic way of retrieving the part you have missed.

A possible solution would be for you to set a timed recording beginning at the start time of the program. When you want to start listening, you could play the recording file. MinimServer would start playing from the start of the recording file while MinimStreamer continues to record the program by writing data to the end of the same file.

There are a few tweaks that I would need to make to get this working. Would this be a suitable solution?
30-11-2020, 15:17 (This post was last modified: 30-11-2020 15:22 by captainkev.)
Thanks for the quick replies gents.

Yes, I do believe that feature would do the trick nicely. Having just read through the User Guide, I'm curious about what tweaks you think need to be made - it sounds like it's already pre-baked. (That will be the first and last time I ever adopt one of Boris Johnson's soundbites :-))

EDIT: Ah yes I see the tweaks required now - it's not possible to specify the days of the week to record :-)
30-11-2020, 15:47
That is not the "tweak" I had in mind. You can schedule the timed recording the previous evening. You could even create a timer task to do this automatically.
30-11-2020, 15:57 (This post was last modified: 30-11-2020 16:07 by captainkev.)
Yes that would make sense. I could also create one to delete episodes older than a certain number of days.

I've tried to set up a test of this - I've downloaded the .m3u8 file for 6Music, and stored it in the same folder as all other media and playlists, but when I put the full path and filename (M:\Media\Music\BBC Radio\bbc_6music.m3u8+0700-1000) in the stream.record field, it comes up with the error "Unknown Stream Identifier". I note from the User Guide that it just refers to 'mystream' in that field. So I think I must be missing how to make 'mystream' (or any other text string) point to the appropriate m3u8 file?

EDIT: Actually, I've just looked into using Task Scheduler and I'm not sure how I'd make it edit the Config of Minimserver without having to create a script of some sort. Is there a guide anywhere to show how to edit Minimserver config with Task Scheduler? Or is the config stored in a text file somewhere that can be edited by task scheduler?
30-11-2020, 16:58
I will provide full instructions when I have completed the "tweaks" that are needed to make this work. Smile
30-11-2020, 17:59
(30-11-2020 15:57)captainkev Wrote:  I've tried to set up a test of this - I've downloaded the .m3u8 file for 6Music, and stored it in the same folder as all other media and playlists, but when I put the full path and filename (M:\Media\Music\BBC Radio\bbc_6music.m3u8+0700-1000) in the stream.record field, it comes up with the error "Unknown Stream Identifier".

I note from the User Guide that it just refers to 'mystream' in that field. So I think I must be missing how to make 'mystream' (or any other text string) point to the appropriate m3u8 file?

Not wishing to override Simoncn post, but you could try the following How to recording thread, which should provide some of the answer.
04-12-2020, 13:52
Thanks Alan - that does help a lot. As usual I was overthinking it and/or underestimating the cleverness of Simon's programming :-)