Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hierarchical indexing of tags with multiple values?
23-11-2020, 15:21 (This post was last modified: 23-11-2020 15:24 by Uoppi.)
Hierarchical indexing of tags with multiple values?
I tried looking through the documentation, but I'm still not sure if it's possible to display the library index hierarchically, when a tag contains multiple values?

My usage scenario:
All my classical music is tagged "Classical; Chamber" etc. In other words, always with "Classical" first, followed by the subgenre (split by semicolon).

So when browsing the library in Android BubbleUPnP, I'd like the index levels to be filtered hierarchically like so:
1. level: Genre
2. level: Classical, Rock & pop, Jazz
3. level (The 2nd genre tag value, if Classical was chosen): Chamber, Orchestral, Piano etc.

This would de-clutter the genre index view significantly. I don't need to see all the classical subgenres when I'm intending to listen to rock. As it happens right now, I need to scroll down to make the "Rock & pop" genre visible.

I'm not sure if this can be somehow achieved using TagUpdate (but I suppose not)? Create a SubGenre tag by TagUpdate or something?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2020, 15:24
RE: Hierarchical indexing of tags with multiple values?
The best way to achieve this would be to tag your genres as GENRE and your subgenres as SUBGENRE. To avoid the need to retag your files, you could use tagUpdate to make this change.
23-11-2020, 20:24
(23-11-2020 15:24)simoncn Wrote:  The best way to achieve this would be to tag your genres as GENRE and your subgenres as SUBGENRE. To avoid the need to retag your files, you could use tagUpdate to make this change.

Like this?

@GENRE=Classical; Chamber
=GENRE=Classical
+SUBGENRE=Chamber

and repeat for remaining genres.
23-11-2020, 21:05 (This post was last modified: 23-11-2020 21:05 by simoncn.)
This depends on whether the ; is a real character or the tagging program's separator for multiple values. From what the OP said about not wanting to see classical subgrenres when looking for rock, I suspect it is the latter. In this case, the tag update file should contain

@GENRE=Chamber
-GENRE=Chamber
+SUBGENRE=Chamber
etc.
23-11-2020, 22:54
(23-11-2020 21:05)simoncn Wrote:  This depends on whether the ; is a real character or the tagging program's separator for multiple values. From what the OP said about not wanting to see classical subgrenres when looking for rock, I suspect it is the latter. In this case, the tag update file should contain

@GENRE=Chamber
-GENRE=Chamber
+SUBGENRE=Chamber
etc.

Of course. Thanks for the clarification.
24-11-2020, 19:08
Thanks! I'll try it out. I already familiarized myself with tagUpdate for genre sorting, so I'm sure I'll figure it out. And yes, the ; is indeed used as a separator.
24-11-2020, 19:29
It should be straightforward. As well as the tag update settings, you need to add Subgenre to indexTags.