Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcoding with Minimserver
04-08-2013, 09:24
RE: Transcoding with Minimserver
(04-08-2013 04:07)pdf1964 Wrote:  Here is the Flac16 to Wav24 log

Thanks very much for doing this.

Do you remember what time (exactly or approximately) the failure occurred, or what track was playing? This would enable me to identify the relevant section of the log.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2013, 09:55
The failure of this renderer to play after some time is not related to minimserver but the renderer becoming unresponsive to http commands after some time.

See my answer here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost...count=3679
04-08-2013, 12:24
Can we have a transcoder that converts DSD (including multichannel DSD) to FLAC on the fly? Thanks Smile
04-08-2013, 13:29 (This post was last modified: 04-08-2013 13:31 by simoncn.)
(04-08-2013 12:24)wappinghigh Wrote:  Can we have a transcoder that converts DSD (including multichannel DSD) to FLAC on the fly? Thanks Smile

Why would you want FLAC rather than WAV?

In any case, this isn't likely to happen unless this support becomes part of FFmpeg or a similar stream conversion program.
04-08-2013, 13:29
(04-08-2013 09:55)bubbleguuum Wrote:  The failure of this renderer to play after some time is not related to minimserver but the renderer becoming unresponsive to http commands after some time.

See my answer here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost...count=3679

OK, thanks!
04-08-2013, 14:57
(04-08-2013 09:24)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 04:07)pdf1964 Wrote:  Here is the Flac16 to Wav24 log

Thanks very much for doing this.

Do you remember what time (exactly or approximately) the failure occurred, or what track was playing? This would enable me to identify the relevant section of the log.

I don't know the exact time because I left it playing and went to do something else. The track that it stopped after playing was "The Long and Winding Road"

Bubbleguuum sent me some information to send to the manufacturer. I will forward to my Electrocompaniet dealer as well as open a support case directly.

Thanks,
Paul
04-08-2013, 15:42
(04-08-2013 14:57)pdf1964 Wrote:  I don't know the exact time because I left it playing and went to do something else. The track that it stopped after playing was "The Long and Winding Road"

Bubbleguuum sent me some information to send to the manufacturer. I will forward to my Electrocompaniet dealer as well as open a support case directly.

Thanks,
Paul

From the log, the streaming of this track completed normally. After this, there were two successful requests from BubbleUPnP for the embedded album art for this track. There is no evidence in the log of any problem with MinimServer.

From what bubbleguuum has said, the problem is with the renderer, not MinimServer. There is nothing in these logs to make me doubt this conclusion.

It's still an open question why this problem should be related to the renderer receiving wav24 data.
04-08-2013, 19:01
Simon,
Thanks for your fast responses. It is great to see that you and Bubbleguuum share information, especially since I use and highly recommend both of your apps!

As to the part of your earlier question regarding if I could tell a difference between tracks transcoded as wav24 and wav16. This morning I had time to do some critical listening. I compared the native flac file, to both wav16 and wav24 transcoded streams. The song I used was Aja by Steely Dan. I can tell you without question that the wav24 transcoded sounded the best. The soundstage was wider and more detailed. There was more definition to the individual instruments, especially when it came to things like brushes on cymbals and the metronome. They both sounded incredibly "live". The original flac file sounded dull by comparison and the wav16 version was somewhere in between. My wife came downstairs to see why I was playing the same song over and over, so I had her listen as well without telling her which was which. Her conclusion was the same. Then we switched to Romeo and Juliet off Dire Straits' Making Movies album. The wav24 transcoding was incredible and the louder I turned it up the better and more rich and full it sounded. This time however, the flac file sounded closer to the wav24 and the wav16 sounded the least best. Of course these things are subjective. Anyway, that is my feedback on that.

I will open a support case with Electrocompaniet. The ECI-6DS is a fairly new model so I am sure there will be fairly regular firmware updates. Gapless playback was just added in their June update.
04-08-2013, 20:43
(04-08-2013 19:01)pdf1964 Wrote:  Simon,
Thanks for your fast responses. It is great to see that you and Bubbleguuum share information, especially since I use and highly recommend both of your apps!

As to the part of your earlier question regarding if I could tell a difference between tracks transcoded as wav24 and wav16. This morning I had time to do some critical listening. I compared the native flac file, to both wav16 and wav24 transcoded streams. The song I used was Aja by Steely Dan. I can tell you without question that the wav24 transcoded sounded the best. The soundstage was wider and more detailed. There was more definition to the individual instruments, especially when it came to things like brushes on cymbals and the metronome. They both sounded incredibly "live". The original flac file sounded dull by comparison and the wav16 version was somewhere in between. My wife came downstairs to see why I was playing the same song over and over, so I had her listen as well without telling her which was which. Her conclusion was the same. Then we switched to Romeo and Juliet off Dire Straits' Making Movies album. The wav24 transcoding was incredible and the louder I turned it up the better and more rich and full it sounded. This time however, the flac file sounded closer to the wav24 and the wav16 sounded the least best. Of course these things are subjective. Anyway, that is my feedback on that.

I will open a support case with Electrocompaniet. The ECI-6DS is a fairly new model so I am sure there will be fairly regular firmware updates. Gapless playback was just added in their June update.

Thanks for the feedback on sound quality. I'm getting similar results with a Linn DS as the renderer, including the same reactions from other family members. Smile I find it quite hard to enjoy listening to non-transcoded FLAC files now.
04-08-2013, 22:43
DSD>WAV would be fine Simon. Anything that works! Cheers