Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcoding with Minimserver
27-04-2013, 11:29
Transcoding with Minimserver
Hi everyone !

I just tried the transcoding feature (flac > wav24) with Minimserver on my PC (win8). It works very fine BUT I have to use my PC to run it of course.. which is not the best solution to me.
Then I also have a Syno Nas with MinimServer installed on it, last version of course, and wonder if this feature can also be used, because I didn't find anywhere in the DSM 4.2 Control Panel how to do it or change default value..

So if you guys know how to use transcoding feature with Minimserver (0.71 arm), I would appreciate your help!

thanks!

PS : My network player is a Lumin, works incredibly better with wav transcoded files than with original flacs.
PS2 : I apologize for my bad english, hope I made myself understandable!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2013, 12:04
RE: Transcoding with Minimserver
(27-04-2013 11:29)bulpy Wrote:  Hi everyone !

I just tried the transcoding feature (flac > wav24) with Minimserver on my PC (win8). It works very fine BUT I have to use my PC to run it of course.. which is not the best solution to me.
Then I also have a Syno Nas with MinimServer installed on it, last version of course, and wonder if this feature can also be used, because I didn't find anywhere in the DSM 4.2 Control Panel how to do it or change default value..

So if you guys know how to use transcoding feature with Minimserver (0.71 arm), I would appreciate your help!

thanks!

PS : My network player is a Lumin, works incredibly better with wav transcoded files than with original flacs.
PS2 : I apologize for my bad english, hope I made myself understandable!

You need to install MinimWatch on your PC. This will allow you to set configuration options (including transcoding) on the MinimServer instance that's running on the Synology NAS.

Using MinimWatch to configure MinimServer running on Synology is mentioned in the Requirements section on this page.
27-04-2013, 12:25
Thank you very much! Smile

one last question: once transcoding feature configured on MinimWatch, do the PC have to be on or will it work anyway even if the PC is off ?
27-04-2013, 12:33
(27-04-2013 12:25)bulpy Wrote:  Thank you very much! Smile

one last question: once transcoding feature configured on MinimWatch, do the PC have to be on or will it work anyway even if the PC is off ?

The PC doesn't need to be on when you're running MinimServer on the NAS. It only needs to be on for changing the configuration options.
30-04-2013, 19:16
Thank you, it works very very well!! :-)
11-06-2013, 21:22 (This post was last modified: 11-06-2013 21:30 by Cebolla.)
Towards the end of last year it was mentioned that transcoding of ALAC to WAV was being planned for MinimServer.

Are you taking into account in your development spec for this new transcoding feature the fact that both lossy AAC, as well as lossless ALAC can be stored in the m4a container file and that m4a is the format that iTunes currently provides both ALAC & AAC downloads in? Hence there's the possibilty of unwanted AAC -> WAV transcoding as well as wanted ALAC -> WAV transcoding, for example, if the spec doesn't give the user the option to choose which codec(s) the transcoding should be performed on for m4a files downloaded from iTunes.

How are you getting on with this new feature, BTW? Is there plans for providing it in a build in the near future?

Many thanks
11-06-2013, 22:15
(11-06-2013 21:22)Cebolla Wrote:  Towards the end of last year it was mentioned that transcoding of ALAC to WAV was being planned for MinimServer.

Are you taking into account in your development spec for this new transcoding feature the fact that both lossy AAC, as well as lossless ALAC can be stored in the m4a container file and that m4a is the format that iTunes currently provides both ALAC & AAC downloads in? Hence there's the possibilty of unwanted AAC -> WAV transcoding as well as wanted ALAC -> WAV transcoding, for example, if the spec doesn't give the user the option to choose which codec(s) the transcoding should be performed on for m4a files downloaded from iTunes.

How are you getting on with this new feature, BTW? Is there plans for providing it in a build in the near future?

Many thanks

Why do you think AAC to WAV transcoding is unwanted? I'm doing this experimentally at the moment, using a converter that preserves full 24-bit precision in the output. My experience is that this makes a noticeable improvement in sound quality with a 320 kbps AAC stream.

There will be an announcement soon about how the extended transcoding support will be provided.
12-06-2013, 11:15 (This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 13:55 by Cebolla.)
Some renderers actually support AAC natively, but not ALAC (or not ALAC at the higher resolutions). So by saying 'unwanted' I meant in the sense of having NO choice, as some people may prefer to leave the AAC files as is and let the renderer handle it if it can. There's certainly a case for what your saying and that'll be another choice. There are even some renderers which have DAC profiles that can do a similar 24-bit expansion, you mentioned, themselves, but again that's up to the user to engage it.

So all I meant by it was to design the mechanism to allow the choice as it would be very easy to miss the opportunity to do so, given that both the AAC & ALAC formats can be carried by the same m4a file. Sorry for any confusion. So the question is, will you be providing this choice?

Looking forward to your announcement!
12-06-2013, 14:35
(12-06-2013 11:15)Cebolla Wrote:  Some renderers actually support AAC natively, but not ALAC (or not ALAC at the higher resolutions). So by saying 'unwanted' I meant in the sense of having NO choice, as some people may prefer to leave the AAC files as is and let the renderer handle it if it can. There's certainly a case for what your saying and that'll be another choice. There are even some renderers which have DAC profiles that can do a similar 24-bit expansion, you mentioned, themselves, but again that's up to the user to engage it.

So all I meant by it was to design the mechanism to allow the choice as it would be very easy to miss the opportunity to do so, given that both the AAC & ALAC formats can be carried by the same m4a file. Sorry for any confusion. So the question is, will you be providing this choice?

Looking forward to your announcement!

At present, the code I have written for enhanced transcoding doesn't provide this choice. If the user has requested WAV transcoding, this transcoding will be performed for all source formats for which WAV transcoding is supported.
14-06-2013, 12:23 (This post was last modified: 14-06-2013 12:25 by Cebolla.)
Oh that's a shame about the all or nothing approach! I don't understand why there's a lack of choice in selecting which types to transcode to WAV (other than the obvious advantage of a quicker implementaion solution, of course).

The benefit of having transcoding to WAV switched on may be outweighed by not allowing the choice of file types supported by the renderer to be handled by it in their original format, IMHO. This may especially so for LOSSY types, which most (if not all) should be able to be transcoded to WAV (eg at least Ogg Vorbis, WMA, AAC & MP3) and where the renderer is able to be set up to handle them with its own favoured file type specific profiles/sound enhancements.

This problem can possibly be avoided by running two Minimservers on the system, one set to transcode to WAV, the other not. However, the problem will remain in the case of mixed format playlists.

Would you consider adding this choice at a later date, if not to the next update with the enhanced transcoding?