Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is MnimStreamer????
20-11-2020, 16:12
What is MnimStreamer????
Hi

I'm posting this as i am a complete numpty when it comes to streaming/media serving technology

I have an QNAP NAS with MinimServer installed (just updated to v2)

All my music is stored on the QNAP, played either via my pc when i'm working or a Cambridge Audio CXN Network Streamer.

Am i right in assuming that MinimStreamer is only required if i want to access Internet Radio and/or music streaming services such as Spotify, via the QNAP?

I've just refreshed the status of my MinimServer and i am able to play music files using the CXN.

The CXN can stream services such as Internet Radio or Tidal, so i'm assuming MinimServer is not something that would be of use?

thanks

Simon Hume
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2020, 17:20
RE: What is MnimStreamer????
MinimStreamer is used for playing radio stations and also for transcoding the output from MinimServer (for example, from FLAC to WAV) or for upsampling or downsampling. Many people find that transcoding to WAV improves the sound. MinimStreamer can also do other audio output processing (for example, convolution for room correction).
20-11-2020, 17:29 (This post was last modified: 20-11-2020 17:31 by Alandbush.)
(20-11-2020 16:12)simonhume Wrote:  Hi

I'm posting this as i am a complete numpty when it comes to streaming/media serving technology

I have an QNAP NAS with MinimServer installed (just updated to v2)

All my music is stored on the QNAP, played either via my pc when i'm working or a Cambridge Audio CXN Network Streamer.

Am i right in assuming that MinimStreamer is only required if i want to access Internet Radio and/or music streaming services such as Spotify, via the QNAP?

I've just refreshed the status of my MinimServer and i am able to play music files using the CXN.

The CXN can stream services such as Internet Radio or Tidal, so i'm assuming MinimServer is not something that would be of use?

thanks

Simon Hume

You omitted the transcoding feature. Also, the ability to provide equalisation via filters or convolution files.

Does this overview of Minimstreamer features link help?

Or perhaps the Minimstreamer user guide.

Edit: sorry Simon, I should have expected you would be on the ball
21-11-2020, 11:52
@simoncn & @Alandbush

thanks for your replies. Think i understand it a little more now. I struggle to understand things where i can't see a physical start & end to a process.

Have now installed MinimStreamer (which is running) and have set the stream.transcode to flac:wav24 and it seems to work when playing files via the CXN.

regards

Simon
18-01-2021, 11:14
I agree with the OP. Unlike them, however, having read the both the overview and the user guide, I am still struggling. I have minim server set up and working on a NAS. I use Bubble on an Android. I am sure that minim streamer will be equally easy to get to grips with, once I know what I am doing. I would really appreciate a concrete, real-life example of use, with baby steps. (Not in the language of the User Guide, which has too many tables, and too many 'if this ... then that' statements. Those will be useful later.)

Many thanks
18-01-2021, 11:47
(18-01-2021 11:14)fblack Wrote:  I would really appreciate a concrete, real-life example of use, with baby steps.

Bearing in mind the scope of Minimstreamer, could you provide an example of a feature you would like to exploit. Perhaps the transcoding/up sampling of some of your audio tracks.
In this case, details of your audio tracks would be useful, I.e. file types, sample rates and bit rates.

Ps - I assume that you have installed Minimstreamer. You will also require the installation of Minimwatch to enable the features of Minimstreamer.
18-01-2021, 12:33
Thanks for this suggestion. A Quick Start guide for MinimServer 2 was added recently and I think something similar is needed for MinimStreamer. It would cover a number of common scenarios with simple steps and pointers to reference material. I will start work on producing this.
18-01-2021, 13:01
@Alandbush. Many thanks - what I started out wanting to do was to play flac files (16 bits, 44100 Hz) from my Synology NAS to a Sonos speaker, controlling the process from a Control Point on my Mac (10.14 Mojave). (I do not yet have a control point on the Mac).

However, part of the fun (as well as the frustration) of new software for me, is in discovering what it can do, that might be interesting. So, a large part of my question is simply an example of some kind. I hope that if I can follow the steps, I will learn how to replicate them.

@simoncn. Minim server is super software. I don't know why I didn't find it earlier. Looking through the forum, suggests that a number of people are confused or uncertain about Minim streamer. Many thanks for helping us. Best wishes.
19-01-2021, 08:36 (This post was last modified: 19-01-2021 08:37 by lyapounov.)
The transcoding function is hugely helpful; not only for improving the quality, but for dsd content.

I have a top level DAC which can read dsf files. But I have a more simple one in another room which can't. I therefore have two profiles, the second one transcode from dsf to wav, so I can listen to the content even on a lower end DAC.

BTW I have 500+ album in dsf...
20-01-2021, 13:02
In terms of usage I'd say it falls into 2 categories.

I want to say the second is for the more audiophile crowd (more nuanced usage), but I'll just call them:

Basic
  • Playing radio stations
    RadioStations.m3u
    Code:
    #EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:-1,[R1;aac,48000] BBC Radio 1
    http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/dash/uk/dash_full/ak/bbc_radio_one.mpd
    #EXTINF:-1,[R1X;aac,48000] BBC Radio 1Xtra
    http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/dash/uk/dash_full/ak/bbc_1xtra.mpd
    #EXTINF:-1,[R2;aac,48000] BBC Radio 2
    http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/dash/uk/dash_full/ak/bbc_radio_two.mpd
    #EXTINF:-1,[R3;aac,48000] BBC Radio 3
    http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/dash/uk/dash_full/ak/bbc_radio_three.mpd
    #EXTINF:-1,[R4;aac,48000] BBC Radio 4
    http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/dash/uk/dash_full/ak/bbc_radio_fourfm.mpd
    #EXTINF:-1,[R5;aac,48000] BBC Radio 5 Live
    http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/dash/uk/dash_full/ak/bbc_radio_five_live.mpd
  • Transcoding (maybe your music is stored in a format that isn't supported by one of your renderers)
    stream.transcode: flac:L16
  • Normalising loudness (When shuffling music from different eras/genres the volume can vary significantly, you do however need ReplayGain tags in your music to support this)
    stream.options: convOut=-af volume=replaygain=track

Advanced
  • DSP filters (room correction e.t.c.)
  • Upsampling (some renderers show less distortion if being fed by a format that requires less processing)