Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is MnimStreamer????
20-11-2020, 16:12
What is MnimStreamer????
Hi

I'm posting this as i am a complete numpty when it comes to streaming/media serving technology

I have an QNAP NAS with MinimServer installed (just updated to v2)

All my music is stored on the QNAP, played either via my pc when i'm working or a Cambridge Audio CXN Network Streamer.

Am i right in assuming that MinimStreamer is only required if i want to access Internet Radio and/or music streaming services such as Spotify, via the QNAP?

I've just refreshed the status of my MinimServer and i am able to play music files using the CXN.

The CXN can stream services such as Internet Radio or Tidal, so i'm assuming MinimServer is not something that would be of use?

thanks

Simon Hume
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2020, 17:20
RE: What is MnimStreamer????
MinimStreamer is used for playing radio stations and also for transcoding the output from MinimServer (for example, from FLAC to WAV) or for upsampling or downsampling. Many people find that transcoding to WAV improves the sound. MinimStreamer can also do other audio output processing (for example, convolution for room correction).
20-11-2020, 17:29 (This post was last modified: 20-11-2020 17:31 by Alandbush.)
(20-11-2020 16:12)simonhume Wrote:  Hi

I'm posting this as i am a complete numpty when it comes to streaming/media serving technology

I have an QNAP NAS with MinimServer installed (just updated to v2)

All my music is stored on the QNAP, played either via my pc when i'm working or a Cambridge Audio CXN Network Streamer.

Am i right in assuming that MinimStreamer is only required if i want to access Internet Radio and/or music streaming services such as Spotify, via the QNAP?

I've just refreshed the status of my MinimServer and i am able to play music files using the CXN.

The CXN can stream services such as Internet Radio or Tidal, so i'm assuming MinimServer is not something that would be of use?

thanks

Simon Hume

You omitted the transcoding feature. Also, the ability to provide equalisation via filters or convolution files.

Does this overview of Minimstreamer features link help?

Or perhaps the Minimstreamer user guide.

Edit: sorry Simon, I should have expected you would be on the ball
21-11-2020, 11:52
@simoncn & @Alandbush

thanks for your replies. Think i understand it a little more now. I struggle to understand things where i can't see a physical start & end to a process.

Have now installed MinimStreamer (which is running) and have set the stream.transcode to flac:wav24 and it seems to work when playing files via the CXN.

regards

Simon