Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest Mac OS: Big Sur: Minim works fine
17-11-2020, 14:17
Latest Mac OS: Big Sur: Minim works fine
Who has tried the latest Mac OS??
I had issues with Catalina - wouldn't run Time Machine reliably and other quirks..
But Big Sur (silly name?) is good, and so far, no issues. Seems fast, too. I really like the more modern look - dialogues look cleaner and clearer. But I think about 14Gb to download!!! DOS 3.3 used to be on one floppy.

And my rsync routines in Terminal still work.

And, needless to say, Minimwatch works fine. So does Minimserver which I have also installed on my Mac to occasionally play files I have there.

What might need updating - Simon, but no rush, some of the dialogues relating to Minimwatch look a bit low-res these days. For example the "update" screen. But it all works fine. Well done.

donuk beautiful downtown York
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2020, 16:31
RE: Latest Mac OS: Big Sur: Minim works fine
(17-11-2020 14:17)Donuk Wrote:  Big Sur (silly name?)

From Wikipedia:

"Big Sur is a rugged and mountainous section of the Central Coast of California between Carmel Highlands and San Simeon, where the Santa Lucia Mountains rise abruptly from the Pacific Ocean. It is frequently praised for its dramatic scenery."

Perhaps not so silly.

David
19-11-2020, 18:10
(17-11-2020 14:17)Donuk Wrote:  What might need updating - Simon, but no rush, some of the dialogues relating to Minimwatch look a bit low-res these days. For example the "update" screen. But it all works fine. Well done.

I have noticed this and been puzzled about why this is happening. It turns out there is a "magic" setting that needs to be enabled when building the app to get sharp text on a high-resolution screen.

Enabling this setting requires a version update for MinimServer and MinimWatch on Mac. This should be available in the next day or two.

In addition, the font used for these dialogs is not optimal for recent Macs. This can be fixed in an automatic update.

I will post back here with more details when these changes are available.
19-11-2020, 21:51
Amazingly responsive Simon!

I'll follow my usual approach of allowing time for the hidden bugs to crawl out of the trees on the Big Sur.

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
22-11-2020, 10:39 (This post was last modified: 22-11-2020 10:41 by lyapounov.)
1) I updated to Big Sur; no issue so far

2) Big sur is a funny place.

Very beautiful (one of the desktop image is Big Sur; the one with a costal line with a road - which is Road 1 - and a white bridge)

Big Sur was made famous by Jack Kerouak who spent a few days in a cabin, and wrote one of his best novel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sur_(novel))

There is also an institute where entrepreneur from the silicon valley create the future :-) (https://www.esalen.org/)

Having lived twice in California, I can tell that this road 1 is a magnificent ride. Big Sur is a legend...
04-12-2020, 14:00
The problems with Mac fonts are now fixed in MinimServer 2.0.18 and MinimWatch 2.0.18.
09-12-2020, 08:55 (This post was last modified: 09-12-2020 08:55 by lyapounov.)
(04-12-2020 14:00)simoncn Wrote:  The problems with Mac fonts are now fixed in MinimServer 2.0.18 and MinimWatch 2.0.18.

Why are versions different according to platforms ?

MinimServer 2.0.18 is only MacOS and Asustor
Synology is 2.0.12
ReadyNas is 2.0.16
Etc.

I know it is very hard to maintain a product for so many platforms, but does it mean that when you roll-up a new release, it takes time to roll-up on all your platforms ?
09-12-2020, 09:13
It is not the case that some platforms are behind other platforms in terms of delivering updates.

Installing a new version is less convenient for the user. Many fixes and minor enhancements can be delivered in automatic onlne updates (such as update 178), which are easier to install than a new version. For this reason, a new version is released only when there is a change that cannot be delivered in an automatic online update. These changes are often platform-specific.

As an example of how this works, the new 2.0.18 for Mac contains all the changes in update 178 as well as a Mac-specific configuration change to fix the blurred font issue. On other platforms such as Synology and ReadyNAS, it is only necessary to install update 178 on top of 2.0.12 or 2.0.16 because there are no configuration changes.
10-12-2020, 07:35
(09-12-2020 09:13)simoncn Wrote:  It is not the case that some platforms are behind other platforms in terms of delivering updates.

Installing a new version is less convenient for the user. Many fixes and minor enhancements can be delivered in automatic onlne updates (such as update 178), which are easier to install than a new version. For this reason, a new version is released only when there is a change that cannot be delivered in an automatic online update. These changes are often platform-specific.

As an example of how this works, the new 2.0.18 for Mac contains all the changes in update 178 as well as a Mac-specific configuration change to fix the blurred font issue. On other platforms such as Synology and ReadyNAS, it is only necessary to install update 178 on top of 2.0.12 or 2.0.16 because there are no configuration changes.

Thx for clarification.

That does not make your life easy !