Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sorting selections
08-11-2020, 16:46
RE: Sorting selections
(07-11-2020 17:00)simbun Wrote:  Alandbush gave you two filters but you could create a single filter using tagUpdate functionality.

Code:
@GENRE=Classical
@GENRE=Opera
+OPERASICAL=1

indexTags: OPERASICAL=1:ClassicalOROpera

This basically create a virtual (within MinimServer) tag called OPERASICAL with a value of 1 for every file that has a genre tag of 'Classical' or 'Opera'.

tagUpdate is indeed a very clever tool. That's what allows me to have the choice of Classical or Non-Classical in the top menu of MinimServer (these are the only Genre values I use, with everything else being in Sub-Genre). This saves a keystroke, as I no longer need to first select Genre followed by my specific choice of Genre.

Quite often, I don't bother to select a Sub-Genre (such as chamber, orchestral, vocal/choral, etc), especially if I want to see all my recordings for a specified composer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2020, 20:37
This looks complex to me but it obviously meets your particular needs.
I use 'Genre' extensively by defining several extra genres e.g. Classical-early, Classical-baroque etc and Jazz-traditional, Jazz-mainstream etc. My most common search is genre > album where I've edited/split all classical albums to works in the format 'Composer - Work type, work qualifier'. I use the alphabetic listing of albums so I can quickly get to the composer and then scroll to a particular work and performer. So a total of 3 clicks with 2 scrolls to select something to play.

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
08-11-2020, 20:44
Alandbush gave you two filters but you could create a single filter using tagUpdate functionality.

Code:
@GENRE=Classical
@GENRE=Opera
+OPERASICAL=1

Thank you @simbun, but I am not sure I understand how to add this to tagUpdate.
08-11-2020, 22:14
(08-11-2020 20:44)RSJ Wrote:  Thank you @simbun, but I am not sure I understand how to add this to tagUpdate.

I'd recommend you to read the linked to tagUpdate documentation as it will tell you in more detail what's going on, and what's possible, but in a nutshell:

Create a text file somewhere on the MinimServer machine and add the following text to it:
Code:
@GENRE=Classical
@GENRE=Opera
+OPERASICAL=1

This instructs MinimServer to add a virtual tag (with a value of 1) called OPERASICAL to all the music files that have a GENRE of Classical or Opera.

In the MinimServer configuration, under Advanced > tagUpdate, put the location of the file you created earlier.

A restart/rescan is probably required.
09-11-2020, 00:14 (This post was last modified: 09-11-2020 00:16 by haggis999.)
(08-11-2020 20:37)DavidL Wrote:  This looks complex to me but it obviously meets your particular needs.
I use 'Genre' extensively by defining several extra genres e.g. Classical-early, Classical-baroque etc and Jazz-traditional, Jazz-mainstream etc. My most common search is genre > album where I've edited/split all classical albums to works in the format 'Composer - Work type, work qualifier'. I use the alphabetic listing of albums so I can quickly get to the composer and then scroll to a particular work and performer. So a total of 3 clicks with 2 scrolls to select something to play.

Thanks to the genius of Simon Nash, MinimServer is almost infinitely configurable, so we can all have almost exactly the interface we want. The configuration process is indeed rather complex, but I got there through the help of this excellent forum. Every time I thought of what to me would be a better interface but which I didn't know how to implement, I just posted here and usually got a solution within a couple of days or often within a couple of hours.

BTW, I note that you are also an owner of a Synology DS412+ NAS. I've had a couple of those happily humming away in the dark for several years.
09-11-2020, 17:35
(08-11-2020 22:14)simbun Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 20:44)RSJ Wrote:  Thank you @simbun, but I am not sure I understand how to add this to tagUpdate.

I'd recommend you to read the linked to tagUpdate documentation as it will tell you in more detail what's going on, and what's possible, but in a nutshell:

Create a text file somewhere on the MinimServer machine and add the following text to it:
Code:
@GENRE=Classical
@GENRE=Opera
+OPERASICAL=1

This instructs MinimServer to add a virtual tag (with a value of 1) called OPERASICAL to all the music files that have a GENRE of Classical or Opera.

In the MinimServer configuration, under Advanced > tagUpdate, put the location of the file you created earlier.

A restart/rescan is probably required.

I am clearly being very dim. I have created the file and saved it to the Public shared directory on my QNAP NAS (as the documentation suggests). I am using my laptop to edit MinimServer properties, via MinimWatch. I am simply putting the file name into the tagUpdate box. However, this is not accepted.

I am obviously doing something wrong - but it is not clear what that is.
09-11-2020, 18:09 (This post was last modified: 09-11-2020 18:09 by simoncn.)
The tagUpdate property requires a fully qualified (absolute) file path. Try using /share/Public/filename instead of filename.
09-11-2020, 18:30
Brilliant - thank you (I had tried almost every other file path combination - but not, clearly, that one)
10-11-2020, 11:26
(09-11-2020 18:09)simoncn Wrote:  The tagUpdate property requires a fully qualified (absolute) file path. Try using /share/Public/filename instead of filename.

I'm intrigued by your use of /share/Public/, as I've not seen such a path setting before. How is this defined?

The content directory for MinimServer on my NAS is /volume1/Music/My Music and my tagUpdate setting is /volume1/Music/My Music/MyTagUpdate.txt. Does /share/Public/MyTagUpdate.txt have the same meaning?
10-11-2020, 12:06
The OP has a QNAP NAS. It sounds like your NAS is a Synology. A QNAP path wouldn't work on a Synology and vice versa.