Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Index Artwork
02-11-2020, 22:16
RE: Index Artwork
Been trying this as well and really like it. Currently using “all” so a mix of random selection where I haven’t yet created a specific image, working very well.

Agree with you suggestions for the other high level folders, letters, artist, album etc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2020, 00:32
(02-11-2020 11:45)simoncn Wrote:  An alternative would be to extend the "folder" setting so that the user could provide different generic images such as Artist.jpg, Composer.png, Date.jpg, etc. to be used for these index entries. I would be interested to hear comments on this.
+1
03-11-2020, 01:19
The exchange between Simon and entdgc puts me in mind of another question. Does MinimServer scan any subfolders of the indexArtwork folder? So far as I can see, the User Guide does not make this clear. I ask because I can see that I shall end up with a lot of image files (three digit numbers of composers, artists and works, for example), and being able to store them into their respective folders would make things logistically easier.

I guess that it would probably not be a good idea to have a large and complex artwork folder tree, because it might bslow things down. But having up to, say a dozen folders immediately below the artwork folder could be very helpful.

David
03-11-2020, 17:50
Subfolders are not scanned. This is partly to keep things simple and partly because each index entry has only one image irrespective of the context in which the index entry appears. For example, Paul McCartney could appear under Artist or Composer. MinimServer is searching only by index name, so the same Paul McCartney.jpg file would be used in both cases. In classical music, this overlap is probably more common, with the same person taking roles of artist, performer, soloist, conductor, composer, etc. on different recordings.

If subfolders were scanned, the first matching image (based only on filename) would be used in all contexts. If there are multiple images with the same filename in different subfolders, this might not be what the user expects. For example, anything in a subfolder would be used in preference to anything in the higher-level folder.
03-11-2020, 19:24
(02-11-2020 22:14)simoncn Wrote:  I don't see any reasonable way to do this. MinimServer doesn't know about or assume any relationships between different folders in your library, so it doesn't know that the parent of your album folder is an artist folder.

OK I understand. If you were to implement the searching of subfolders then you could specify the index artwork as the root of the music database and then it would see all subfolders. In my case I would still have to rename the jpg's to the artist name so not much of an advantage.

I did last night start work on a folder of artist images - it will take some time but it works well and I will continue.

Could I encourage you to implement images for the top layer (albums items playlists artist date genre etc) as this will make browsing a much more pleasant experience.
04-11-2020, 13:33 (This post was last modified: 04-11-2020 13:36 by haggis999.)
I also support entdgc's suggestion to implement the assignation of images to items that appear in the top level index.

At present, my top level index contains no less than 14 items (in alphabetical order). The most important items in my case are called 'Classical library' and 'Non-classical library'. It would be very useful to emphasise each of these two with an appropriate image.
11-11-2020, 20:50
Hello,

I am still on minimserver v1, but the indexArtwork feature is very interesting. Does this have an effect for the folder view, too?

Thanks
Gert
11-11-2020, 21:39
The indexArtwork feature does not change the artwork shown in folder view.
12-11-2020, 09:45
What a pity, I am really looking forward to this feature. Is there a chance that this will be introduced? So that a folder that does not have a folder.jpg displays the art work of the first (or last) sub folder recursively?
12-11-2020, 13:54
Support for this is unlikely. It would be difficult to implement because of the top-down way that folder view works and the way that folders are represented within MinimServer.