Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artist multi-item tag
14-10-2020, 17:49
RE: Artist multi-item tag
(14-10-2020 12:01)stefano_mbp Wrote:  btw I cannot use Bubbleupnp as I have iPhone and iPad thus I use Lumïn app, but the same result is with Linn app, MConnect and others I tried, but I don’t think it is a control point matter ...
... and I’m talking about Artist tag, non Album Artist

Just a thought. It sounds as though you have invested some considerable time in editing these tags. Have you considered buying an android tablet purely to run BubbleUPnP? A small expenditure compared with your hours of labour perhaps.
Like you I only used iPhone and iPad but bought an android tablet as the best way to access my music (via BubbleUPnP).

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2020, 18:21
I love Lumïn app, the best on my opinion .... and anyway I’m convinced that the problem is not in the control point.
If I use the writealltag functionality I can clearly find that the problem is in the way the tags are sent to the control point
Try yourself: get an Alac file and write in the Artist tag this string:
Artist-a;;;Artist-b;;;Artist-c
The ;;; separator works for flac files in Yate, dBpoweramp and kid3
For this Alac file you will find in your control point (and in the writealltags file) this string :
Artist=Artist-a;;;Artist-b;;;Artist-c
Then try with a flac file and you’ll find in your control point and in the writealltag file:
Artist=Artist-a
Artist=Artist-b
Artist=Artist-c
14-10-2020, 19:34
Thanks for contacting Barry about this. I have emailed him to start the discussion.
14-10-2020, 20:29
Thank you Simon
17-10-2020, 13:43
... a quick follow up ...
Thanks to your documentation Barry (2manyrobots/Yate) clearly understood the issue and found a couple of solutions.
Next week he should be able to send me a build of Yate for some testing.
Thanks a lot Simon, I’ll report here how the tests will go
20-10-2020, 10:32
.... the final follow up ...
Yesterday Barry (2manyrobots.com) sent me a build of Yate with the implementation of the changes due to Alac multi item management.
The build will be available in few days as version 6.1
This is the description:
“ The new setting is in Preferences-Audio-MPEG-4 and is called Multi value write method. The default value is Single Atom which is what Yate previously did. For any field such as Artist, Yate will write the multi value delimiter to a single ©ART atom with a single data child. This is 100% within spec. The second value is Single Atom/Multiple Data. In this setting Yate will write a multi value Artist field to a single ©ART atom with multiple data child atoms. While this is in spec I can only find a single application other than MinimServer which processes the data. Apple applications will only show the first item. The third value is Multiple Atoms. In this method Yate will write a multi value Artist field to multiple ©ART atoms each with a single data atom. This method is technically invalid. However it has a certain degree of popularity with some Windows based taggers and at least one Mac based tagger. MinimServer will read this format as well. Other applications will display the first or last item.”
My choice is for the Single Atom/Multiple data, it works ... like a charm ...
Unluckily the full compatibility with Audirvana and JRiver, the two players I could test, is “broken”: Audirvana will show a single string with all the artists listed separated by a blank, JRiver will show only the first item.
Anyway it is quite simple to go back (if needed) to the first method, it’s just a matter of loading and saving the Alac files.

I want to express my thanks to Simon and Barry for making this implementation possible.