Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somewhat OT I use minimserver2 on NAS for music, Video what?
10-10-2020, 17:53
Somewhat OT I use minimserver2 on NAS for music, Video what?
Please forgive my OT post but is there an equivalent to minimserver2 for video which I can mount on my NAS. I used to use Twonky because it came with Qnap NAS but I somehow have lost it even though the free version came with the NAS (some years ago!).
Is there a mimimserver for video in the pipeline.
I would appreciate some pointers on what options to look at meanwhile.
Budge
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2020, 23:30
RE: Somewhat OT I use minimserver2 on NAS for music, Video what?
What do you intend playing the videos on?
Why not use a computer with VLC?
Donuk
11-10-2020, 08:49
(10-10-2020 17:53)Budgie Wrote:  Please forgive my OT post but is there an equivalent to minimserver2 for video which I can mount on my NAS. I used to use Twonky because it came with Qnap NAS but I somehow have lost it even though the free version came with the NAS (some years ago!).
Budge

With a Synology NAS I use their 'Video Station' app running on the NAS, pointing to video folders on the NAS, and use our not-very-smart TV with an Apple TV running the Synology app 'DS Video'. Works very well with 720p video but will need a more powerful processor to stream 1040p video.
I'd guess QNAP have a similar set of apps to stream video if you dig a little deeper.

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
11-10-2020, 09:18
(11-10-2020 08:49)DavidL Wrote:  
(10-10-2020 17:53)Budgie Wrote:  Please forgive my OT post but is there an equivalent to minimserver2 for video which I can mount on my NAS. I used to use Twonky because it came with Qnap NAS but I somehow have lost it even though the free version came with the NAS (some years ago!).
Budge

With a Synology NAS I use their 'Video Station' app running on the NAS, pointing to video folders on the NAS, and use our not-very-smart TV with an Apple TV running the Synology app 'DS Video'. Works very well with 720p video but will need a more powerful processor to stream 1040p video.
I'd guess QNAP have a similar set of apps to stream video if you dig a little deeper.

Hi and many thanks for the replies. I play videos on TVs, some not smart so on them I use Firestick or similar with VLC. I am trying to avoid the built-in "intelligence" of the high end server offerings which try and sort my classical music tracks according to their own logic. (Artist is not the Composer!)
On further reflection I think I shall set up a server on NAS (php &mysql) and then I can get my own library but if anybody has other suggestions please let me know.
12-11-2020, 00:17
I know you were looking for a NAS-based solution, but I find that JRiver Media Center on a Windows PC provides an excellent way to play rips of my Blu-ray collection on a TV. These video files are stored on the NAS but no NAS-based video server is required. Media Center is a powerful tool, with a wide range of configuration options and excellent support via a very active user forum. It also works well with classical music served up by MinimServer from my NAS.