Poll: Do you use YouTube to enjoy or discover music?
Never
Rarely
Occasionally
Frequently
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YouTube and DLNA/OpenHome
01-08-2020, 03:44
YouTube and DLNA/OpenHome
There's an abundance of music on YouTube these days, some of it in pretty good sound. I occasionally watch on my computer or on our TV set, both of which are connected to passable small sound systems.

But I'd also like to watch the videos on the Android tablet I use in my main system, directing sound to the audio system. I cannot see a way to do that. The renderer is an Auralic Aries G1, which is set up in OpenHome mode. I'm using BubbleUPnP on the tablet, but of course I could install another app if necessary.

Has anyone here figured out how to do it?

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2020, 13:40
RE: YouTube and DLNA/OpenHome
I stream youtube and spotify
1) from ipad via Wifi to Apple TV (ver.2), and then
2) from Apple TV via optical / digital to a DAC.

This is very simple and works really fine. SQ is much better than expected.

Claus
03-08-2020, 22:16
(03-08-2020 13:40)ClausDK Wrote:  I stream youtube and spotify
1) from ipad via Wifi to Apple TV (ver.2), and then
2) from Apple TV via optical / digital to a DAC.

This is very simple and works really fine. SQ is much better than expected.

Thanks. Maybe I should look into Apple TV -- I have no idea what it is.

Your answer jogged my brain about another possibility. The Auralic Aries has Bluetooth input, which I've turned off. Turning that on might be the answer.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
07-08-2020, 20:50
(03-08-2020 22:16)Mike48 Wrote:  The Auralic Aries has Bluetooth input, which I've turned off. Turning that on might be the answer.

I'm glad to say, Bluetooth streaming works. It's hard to judge the sound quality from YouTube, but I imagine WiFi would sound better. But it's a start, and it didn't need any extra equipment and very little configuration.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
27-08-2020, 12:21
Glad to hear that it works.

In case you want to go for at wifi solution, I would still recommend a s/h Apple TV.
Mine is 2nd.gen, but works fine. You can probably find a 3rd gen at a very good price, like this

https://www.ebay.com/p/175898465?iid=324268567590&rt=nc
27-08-2020, 12:23
Just noticed:

With the unit in the link the remote is missing. You'll need a remote as well.

There will probably be quite a few to be found s/h in your neighborhood
27-08-2020, 22:44
BTW, I tried a Chromecast Audio for this. It had better sound than Bluetooth, but latency was long -- maybe 1 or 2 seconds. It was too distracting to use for YouTube (though the CCA is quite a good streamer, if you use the optical output).

Is there any reason to think AppleTV would exhibit less latency? And could I send audio it from an Android tablet, or is it, like many Apple products, compatible only with other iDevices?

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
28-08-2020, 05:35
(27-08-2020 22:44)Mike48 Wrote:  BTW, I tried a Chromecast Audio for this. It had better sound than Bluetooth, but latency was long -- maybe 1 or 2 seconds. It was too distracting to use for YouTube (though the CCA is quite a good streamer, if you use the optical output).

Is there any reason to think AppleTV would exhibit less latency? And could I send audio it from an Android tablet, or is it, like many Apple products, compatible only with other iDevices?

New Apple TV, gen.4 and beyond, have hdmi output only ... and you can send audio through AirPlay only, but there is the YouTube app embedded.
If you connect Apple TV to your TV and the TV audio output to your dac you can play audio on your hifi system
28-08-2020, 09:12 (This post was last modified: 28-08-2020 09:12 by ClausDK.)
I haven't noticed any latency. On the other hand, I can't say there isn't....

Bad news that gen.4 doesn't come with digital out.
I probably should stock one or two of gen.3 for future use :-)
31-08-2020, 08:05
(27-08-2020 22:44)Mike48 Wrote:  BTW, I tried a Chromecast Audio for this. It had better sound than Bluetooth, but latency was long -- maybe 1 or 2 seconds. It was too distracting to use for YouTube (though the CCA is quite a good streamer, if you use the optical output).

New Apple TV, gen.4 and beyond, have hdmi output only ... and you can send audio through AirPlay only, but there is the YouTube app embedded.
If you connect Apple TV to your TV and the TV audio output to your dac you can play audio on your hifi system