Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ogg support
11-02-2014, 09:46
RE: ogg support
(11-02-2014 08:44)tarnkappe Wrote:  btw: I have subcribed to this ogg thread but did not recieve a notification mail for your reply. Is this a known problem with the forum or one with my mail provider, etc.?

This happens to me occasionally. I don't know what causes it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2014, 09:55
(11-02-2014 08:40)tarnkappe Wrote:  I, too, did search for java libraries that support reading ogg vorbis meta data. I have found 2 or 3. But I do not know if reading the meta data is the only thing that you have to implement. (As long as you do not support ogg/vorbis as input format for the minimstreamer. This would be a great feature, too, but has priority B, I think.)

MinimServer would need to read the audio data from the first packet of the file and the comment metadata from the second packet of the file. I am hoping this is all that is needed. This support would only be for MinimServer, not for MinimStreamer.

As with all new features, I can't make any firm commitment to implement this until I have a working prototype to verify there are no unexpected difficulties.
29-03-2014, 05:27
(11-02-2014 09:55)simoncn Wrote:  
(11-02-2014 08:40)tarnkappe Wrote:  I, too, did search for java libraries that support reading ogg vorbis meta data. I have found 2 or 3. But I do not know if reading the meta data is the only thing that you have to implement. (As long as you do not support ogg/vorbis as input format for the minimstreamer. This would be a great feature, too, but has priority B, I think.)

MinimServer would need to read the audio data from the first packet of the file and the comment metadata from the second packet of the file. I am hoping this is all that is needed. This support would only be for MinimServer, not for MinimStreamer.

As with all new features, I can't make any firm commitment to implement this until I have a working prototype to verify there are no unexpected difficulties.

Heya Simon! I've played around with around a dozen uPnP media streamers, and minimserver is by far my favorite! Thanks for all your hard work and talent.

I'm pretty excited about ogg support as well. But I was wondering, for other unimplemented formats, would it be possible just to let ffmpeg do the heavy lifting without necessarily teaching minimserver to identify every codec it streams? I apologize if this has already been discussed elsewhere. Google wasn't forthcoming about it.

Anyway, minimstreamer already supports a wildcard convention for transcoding unknown network streams. You could add another wildcard (ampersand or percent or something) for unknown local files; and just blindly spawn ffmpeg -i $infile -c:a pcm_s24le -y $fifo or whatever as a catch-all.

It'd be nice, for example, to be able to stream flv and mp4 files downloaded from YouTube as PCM. If it'd be too much of a pain to scrape the metadata from ffmpeg, I'd be happy with a caveat that unsupported media wouldn't be indexed by metadata but would only be visible by browsing the folder hierarchy.
29-03-2014, 10:39 (This post was last modified: 29-03-2014 10:41 by simoncn.)
(29-03-2014 05:27)rojo Wrote:  Heya Simon! I've played around with around a dozen uPnP media streamers, and minimserver is by far my favorite! Thanks for all your hard work and talent.

I'm pretty excited about ogg support as well. But I was wondering, for other unimplemented formats, would it be possible just to let ffmpeg do the heavy lifting without necessarily teaching minimserver to identify every codec it streams? I apologize if this has already been discussed elsewhere. Google wasn't forthcoming about it.

Anyway, minimstreamer already supports a wildcard convention for transcoding unknown network streams. You could add another wildcard (ampersand or percent or something) for unknown local files; and just blindly spawn ffmpeg -i $infile -c:a pcm_s24le -y $fifo or whatever as a catch-all.

It'd be nice, for example, to be able to stream flv and mp4 files downloaded from YouTube as PCM. If it'd be too much of a pain to scrape the metadata from ffmpeg, I'd be happy with a caveat that unsupported media wouldn't be indexed by metadata but would only be visible by browsing the folder hierarchy.

This is an interesting idea, but I think there are a number of issues that would make it difficult for MinimServer to support unknown file formats while observing the UPnP protocols for communication with standard UPnP control points and renderers. The current '*' is not a placeholder for "unknown" but for "unspecified". I will put this on the list of possible ideas to be considered for future enhancements to MinimStreamer.

You should already be able to stream .mp4 files as PCM.
18-04-2014, 18:05
Eastern would be great date to release a new minimserver version with egg/vorbis support Smile
28-07-2014, 17:41
Hi Simon,

are there any news regarding the plans for ogg vorbis support?

Greetings
Gert
28-07-2014, 19:09
(28-07-2014 17:41)tarnkappe Wrote:  Hi Simon,

are there any news regarding the plans for ogg vorbis support?

Greetings
Gert

There isn't any news about this. I have been busy with other things recently.
28-12-2014, 21:54
+1 for OGG-Support.
I just installed minimserver on my DS213j --> runs perfect --> Thanks!!

But without supporting my OGG-Collection no use for me...sad...
29-12-2014, 19:11
(28-12-2014 21:54)Micha Wrote:  +1 for OGG-Support.
I just installed minimserver on my DS213j --> runs perfect --> Thanks!!

But without supporting my OGG-Collection no use for me...sad...

Why don't you convert into some common format? many ways to do this swiftly as a batch. Ogg (like Ape) is a pretty dead format.

bbrip
30-12-2014, 00:26
Because ogg is lossy. Converting it to another lossy format means losing information twice. Converting it to a lossless format leads to multiplied data size.
And is ogg vorbis really dead? It is the only free format that I know besides the lossless flac.