Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer 2 works great for me
22-07-2020, 20:58
Music MinimServer 2 works great for me
I have been testing with MinimServer 2 on my Synology NAS for about a week and it is the most solid and reliable software l have worked with so far. I just bought my full license as an affirmation of my support. BubbleUPnP works well on my Android tablet, but is quirky and unpredictable (it insisted on connecting to my 7 year old LG plasma TV through my wireless network, l didn't know it could do that). I tried Audiophile UPnP Renderer, but so far it will connect but will not play anything. TuneBrowser will work as an Open Home (DLNA?) renderer if configured properly, but it won't do anything until you manually cancel out of the library folder request dialog. Besides, it really wants to be its own server, and comes with a lot of baggage. But through it all MinimServer 2 has worked well. Now if l could just find a lightweight bit-perfect player that didn't try to be an oscilloscope or a magazine.
-john
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2020, 21:47
RE: MinimServer 2 works great for me
Thanks for these words of appreciation.

I have had good experiences with BubbleUPnP. Why was it a problem for it to connect to your TV wirelessly? Did you want to play on something else instead? What device do you want to use as your renderer?
23-07-2020, 03:31
Actually, yes I really wanted to play on my PC music system with Audiophile UPnP Renderer but I suppose because that one wasn't working (Code: 501) it decided to go for the 'next best thing'. I just happened to be using my TV as the music PC's monitor at that moment and it was preempted as a playback device. I was a bit surprised, because I didn't know the TV had wireless capability, much less UPnP. I can't say that I've had a bad experience with BubbleUPnP, just a couple of unexpected ones. It would be nice if I could disable specific libraries or renderers, but mainly because I'm in a discovery mode and I am changing renderers, it is also complicated by the fact that some renderers want to be (i.e., default to) servers. Once I have a stable working configuration I expect there will be no more surprises.
23-07-2020, 08:58
For a pure renderer for a WIndows PC, take a look at OpenHome Player. This uses the OpenHome renderer protocol so it needs a control point that supports this, such as BubbleUPnP, Linn Kinsky or Linn Kazoo.

Another option is foobar2000 with the foo_upnp plugin. This provides more configurability. It includes a server but can be used in pure renderer mode.
23-07-2020, 13:24
(23-07-2020 03:31)jchoatejr Wrote:  It would be nice if I could disable specific libraries or renderers...

BubbleUPNP allows renderers and libraries to be hidden.
Select More, gear icon and then Hide/unhide...
23-07-2020, 15:55
Music RE: MinimServer 2 works great for me
Thanks to both of you for the information! I will definitely follow up on your suggestions.
-john
27-07-2020, 19:54
Wink RE: MinimServer 2 works great for me
Haven't bothered for some time now to look for new versions. Dammit ... there's v2.
Downloaded it, removed the old on the syno ... uninstalled the watch on the PC.

Nearly suffered a heart attack at that point after realising my settings might have been gone now. sigh. But I did remember it's software by Simon, so he likely assumed for users like me, and implemented a way to collect the ones from the old version.

Installed the new on the Syno, same for the Watch on the PC. Bought the license straight (since Simon's software is known to work, no need for testing).
What to say .... it simply works, I didn't expect anything else. And of course the new version adopted the old settings, magic.
Since so I went for the license first, since MinimServer is amongth the top10 must have's, as essential as winrar, mp3tag just to name 2 one need less but a second to either pay or donate.

Only misery seen so far. The initial scan speed didn't increase the same amount as did the version number. Huh I would have preferred it the other way round. Big Grin
Excellent job, Simon.
-Stefan
27-07-2020, 20:55
Thanks for this!

You shouldn't have needed a full initial scan after the upgrade. I think this happened because you removed 0.8 before installing MinimServer 2. The Quick Start guide mentions this (see point 1 of the first section) but doesn't say why it's better not to uninstall. I will make this clearer.
27-07-2020, 21:25
I was in need of the rescan anyway .... the collection still isn't static but growing. Not to mention that I missed to run my small util before doing the rescan which splits up semi-colon separated genres into @.... =.... +.... +... lines and generates a tagupdate file.
Since so it was in fact 2 rescan runs in the end .... 2 times >5min
The problem's located in front of the keyboard, ya know? Big Grin
27-07-2020, 21:50
Thare is no need to rescan after changing your tag update file. A restart (significantly quicker) is sufficient. You only need to rescan after changing the library files.