Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer not finding Publisher tag in FLAC files
21-07-2020, 23:06
Question MinimServer not finding Publisher tag in FLAC files
Hi there. I've only been using MinimServer for a few weeks (on a Synology NAS) and am really liking it. I was put onto it by my Dad who has been using it (and singing its praises!) for ages...

Anyway, the Publisher/Label is quite an important tag for a lot of my music so I wanted to have it on the initial index; mine is pretty simple: Artist:Album Artist, Date, Genre, Label:Publisher

I have tried messing around with the last part - just Label, just Publisher, merge, etc etc - but whatever I try, MinimServer doesn't seem to want to find/index the Publisher tag for any FLAC files. It works for MP3s fine (my collection is just FLAC and MP3).

If I select Publisher from the main Index, the only Publishers showing are ones associated with MP3 files. If I choose a Publisher that I know has both MP3s and FLACs associated with it, only the MP3s show.

I have tagged/organised all of my music using Mediamonkey and verified with MP3tag that the PUBLISHER tag is used correctly with both MP3 and FLAC files.

Any idea why MinimServer isn't indexing the Publisher field for FLACs? I have looked a little deeper into the settings/help guides and can't see anything relating to this.

Any and all advice appreciated... Cheers - Ed
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2020, 09:31
RE: MinimServer not finding Publisher tag in FLAC files
Your MP3 files contain Label tags and your FLAC files contain Publisher tags. Your current setting for indexTags is indexing Label tags only (not Publisher tags) and showing your Label tags as an index named Publisher.

To make this work correctly, you can set the aliasTags property to Label:Publisher and set the indexTags property to Artist:Album Artist, Date, Genre, Publisher. The aliasTags setting translates your Label tags to Publisher tags and leaves your Publisher tags unchanged.
22-07-2020, 10:23
Hi Simon, thank you for the quick response however that solution hasn't worked, MinimServer is still only showing the MP3 Publishers.

Unless I have misunderstood something, I don't agree that the (my!) MP3s contain Label tags - according to MP3tag they are both Publisher tags. Please see attached screenshots, one is MP3 and one is FLAC.

After changing the settings I have been both restarting and rescanning MS to make sure all changes are effected.

Do you know if I might be doing something else wrong - could it be an issue with MediaMonkey tagging maybe?
22-07-2020, 10:54 (This post was last modified: 22-07-2020 10:55 by simoncn.)
The ID3v2 frame for this tag is TPUB. Some taggng programs and music servers show this as Publisher and others show it as Label. MinimServer maps TPUB to Label (see this section) and you can change this mapping to Publisher by using the aliasTags setting Label:Publisher.

Are you sure your FLAC files contain PUBLISHER tags? I tried creating a PUBLISHER tag in a FLAC file using Mp3tag and the tag written to the file was ORGANIZATION (shown by Mp3tag as PUBLISHER). You can handle this by adding Organization:Publisher to aliasTags.
22-07-2020, 11:52
Yes! That did it - thank you very much. Strange how both Mediamonkey and MP3tag show it as Publisher, Windows as Producers, and in reality it's Organization.

Which program did you use to see the correct tag?

Thanks again - Ed
22-07-2020, 12:34
I use a text/hex editor to view the actual "raw" file contents. This is the simplest way to be sure of what the file contains.
22-07-2020, 14:49
Simon,

That is really unfortunate.

So the "standard" is ID3v2 which names the field TPUB.

How different programmes map TPUB is just up to them? And hopefully documented somewhere by that programme if we're lucky

Peter
22-07-2020, 16:14
Yes, this is the situation for TPUB and also for all other ID3v2 frames such as TPE3, TIT1 and TDOR, to name just a few. The same applies for iTunes/MP4 atoms/boxes.

Various tag mapping comparison charts have been produced and are available online. The MinimServer mappings are the product of detailed study of these charts and going with the consensus if there is one. This is usually reasonably clear but for some tags the jury is split and MinimServer has needed to make a judgment call. The aliasTags property allows the user to customize the MinimServer defaults if needed but getting this right can require a fairly detailed knowledge of what is going on under the covers, as in this case.
23-07-2020, 10:38
(22-07-2020 12:34)simoncn Wrote:  I use a text/hex editor to view the actual "raw" file contents. This is the simplest way to be sure of what the file contains.

Ah, cool thanks. It took ages to open a 40mb flac in notepad but the tags were all pretty clear right at the top of the file! Thanks.