Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FLAC/ALAC to DSD
05-06-2020, 16:12
FLAC/ALAC to DSD
I came back to Minimserver (now 2) after a while... of course bought the license.

Can I use Minimstreamer to upsample flac and alac files to DSD?
My current DAC plays DoP only.
If yes: flac:..??..

I don’t know if my NAS would be powered enough to do it but I would like to try! It already can convert flac:24;384 fine but DSD is another story I suppose.

Is there any kind of manual with the Minimstreamer commands?

Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2020, 16:36
RE: FLAC/ALAC to DSD
(05-06-2020 16:12)DomieMic65 Wrote:  Is there any kind of manual with the Minimstreamer commands?

This question I can answer. The MinimStreamer user Guide is here. There is a section on transcoding. Note that MinimStreamer does not convert files to another format; it simply transcodes them into the different format during and for playback.

David
05-06-2020, 17:37
MinimStreamer is not able to transcode PCM audio to DSD. You would need to use an offline converter program.
06-06-2020, 07:29
Thank you both for replying!
I didn't mean to convert the files permanently! Just for playback!
Like this setting for example "flac:wav24;192" ... but instead of PCM the output to be DSD.
06-06-2020, 09:53
MinimStreamer is not able to transcode PCM audio to DSD for playback. You would need to use an offline converter program to create a permanent copy of the file in DSD format.
06-06-2020, 21:54
(06-06-2020 09:53)simoncn Wrote:  MinimStreamer is not able to transcode PCM audio to DSD for playback. You would need to use an offline converter program to create a permanent copy of the file in DSD format.

Am I right in thinking that this is a limitation of the DSD format, which IIRC was originally developed for archival purposes, rather than of any software application? I know that it is not possible to apply any form of DSP to a DSD stream without converting it to PCM first.

David
06-06-2020, 23:14
I believe JRiver Media Center is able to do this, so it must be technically possible.
06-06-2020, 23:31
Yes JRiver can upsample to DSD DoP or Native.
Also Audirvana, HQplayer and foobar I think!
07-06-2020, 05:46
(06-06-2020 23:14)simoncn Wrote:  I believe JRiver Media Center is able to do this, so it must be technically possible.

JRiver can upsample/transcode to DSD but not over DLNA as you can find in this topic https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.p...801.0.html
07-06-2020, 18:47
Why would anyone want to transcode PCM to DSD?