Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
difference between flac & wav when using 'Rating'
04-06-2020, 01:20
difference between flac & wav when using 'Rating'
I use Kid3 on Mac. For flac, wav, mp3 and m4a files I can add the standard 'Rating' tag which displays as 0-5 stars in Kid3. However, this is seemingly interpreted differently accordingly to file type by the time it appears on control point (I typically use Linn Kazoo OR Lumin). I have Bubble UPnP with minimserver on snyology.

I've read the minimserver instructions re use of the 'Rating' tag field, but I'm afraid I don't get it.
Setting the standard Rating tag through Kid3 I get the following results;

1. flac files (vorbis) rated with 5 stars appear in a group called '100', 4 stars as 80 etc. on the Kazoo/Lumin. I found the reference to changing these 'number' groups to for example groups called 5 Stars, 4 Stars etc using the tagupdate parameter. This works fine for flac, but ignores wav & mp3/m4a.

2. Wav files (ID3v2.3) rated with 5 stars (through Kid3) appear in a group called '5', 4 stars in a group called '4' etc on Kazoo/Lumin.

3. For MP3/M4a the standard 'Rating' tag causes the track to be lost from the the rating scheme on the control point.

I was trying to move away from my own custom tag just in case things change in any element of the 'end to end' system, but it seems I need to return back to my custom tag (using the minimserver aliasTag feature) as the only way to achieve a uniform result for rating tracks across all file formats.

Is there a standard way to tag different file formats for track rating and for them to appear in the same rating group in the control point?

thank you.
cheers, marinko
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2020, 09:58
RE: difference between flac & wav when using 'Rating'
If I had followed my own logic a bit further I could simply add additional text to the 'tagupdate' parameter which converts the wav file '5' to '5 Stars', '4' to '4 Stars' etc. This works fine and now all flac & wav tracks using the standard 'Rating' tag appear in the same group.
However, the 'Rating' tag setting for mp3/m4a is not being picked up, so any advice on this point would be great, thank you. I continue to use a custom tag for these file types.

(04-06-2020 01:20)mv70 Wrote:  I use Kid3 on Mac. For flac, wav, mp3 and m4a files I can add the standard 'Rating' tag which displays as 0-5 stars in Kid3. However, this is seemingly interpreted differently accordingly to file type by the time it appears on control point (I typically use Linn Kazoo OR Lumin). I have Bubble UPnP with minimserver on snyology.

I've read the minimserver instructions re use of the 'Rating' tag field, but I'm afraid I don't get it.
Setting the standard Rating tag through Kid3 I get the following results;

1. flac files (vorbis) rated with 5 stars appear in a group called '100', 4 stars as 80 etc. on the Kazoo/Lumin. I found the reference to changing these 'number' groups to for example groups called 5 Stars, 4 Stars etc using the tagupdate parameter. This works fine for flac, but ignores wav & mp3/m4a.

2. Wav files (ID3v2.3) rated with 5 stars (through Kid3) appear in a group called '5', 4 stars in a group called '4' etc on Kazoo/Lumin.

3. For MP3/M4a the standard 'Rating' tag causes the track to be lost from the the rating scheme on the control point.

I was trying to move away from my own custom tag just in case things change in any element of the 'end to end' system, but it seems I need to return back to my custom tag (using the minimserver aliasTag feature) as the only way to achieve a uniform result for rating tracks across all file formats.

Is there a standard way to tag different file formats for track rating and for them to appear in the same rating group in the control point?

thank you.
cheers, marinko
04-06-2020, 11:27
I have tried this with files in the formats that you mentioned.

For FLAC/Vorbis, kid3 translates the stars into a number between 20 and 100 in the Text field. Alternatively, you can enter any number or string directly into the Text field. MinimServer displays whatever is in the Text field, as it does for all FLAC/Vorbis tags.

For WAV/ID3v2.3, kid3 translates the stars into a number between 1 and 255 in the POPM Rating field. MinimServer translates the POPM 1-255 value into a RATING number between 1 and 5 (number of stars) because this is what people who use the POPM ID3v2 field expect.

mp3/ID3v2.3 is the same as WAV/ID3v2.3. kid3 shows a Rating field with stars and a POPM Rating number between 1 and 255 and this is translated by MinimServer in the same way.

m4a is similar to FLAC/Vorbis, with stars being translated into a number between 20 and 100. However, this value is written to a field named 'rate' which as far as I can determine is not a standard field for m4a files and is not read by MinimServer.

All this matches your results except for mp3/ID3v2.3. What is the tagging format for your mp3 files? Is it ID3v2.3 or something else? Also, do your POPM tags in these files contain any other information in addition to the Rating value? In my test, the Email field is populated and the Counter field has a value of 0.
04-06-2020, 12:01
Simon, thank you for the reply.

I just tried a MP3 again and it behaves as you state. So for MP3 files using the standard 'Rating' field through Kid3 the value is recognised as per wav files in the rating groups on the control point. I'm not clear what I was doing wrong beforehand.

In respect of the M4a the easiest thing to do is to convert to MP3 rather than continue using a custom tag.

Thanks again, regards, Marinko.

(04-06-2020 11:27)simoncn Wrote:  I have tried this with files in the formats that you mentioned.

For FLAC/Vorbis, kid3 translates the stars into a number between 20 and 100 in the Text field. Alternatively, you can enter any number or string directly into the Text field. MinimServer displays whatever is in the Text field, as it does for all FLAC/Vorbis tags.

For WAV/ID3v2.3, kid3 translates the stars into a number between 1 and 255 in the POPM Rating field. MinimServer translates the POPM 1-255 value into a RATING number between 1 and 5 (number of stars) because this is what people who use the POPM ID3v2 field expect.

mp3/ID3v2.3 is the same as WAV/ID3v2.3. kid3 shows a Rating field with stars and a POPM Rating number between 1 and 255 and this is translated by MinimServer in the same way.

m4a is similar to FLAC/Vorbis, with stars being translated into a number between 20 and 100. However, this value is written to a field named 'rate' which as far as I can determine is not a standard field for m4a files and is not read by MinimServer.

All this matches your results except for mp3/ID3v2.3. What is the tagging format for your mp3 files? Is it ID3v2.3 or something else? Also, do your POPM tags in these files contain any other information in addition to the Rating value? In my test, the Email field is populated and the Counter field has a value of 0.
22-07-2021, 17:10
Just to continue this thread, I am experiencing the same problem.

I tag my files either 5 stars or nothing using Mediamonkey. When read by Minimserver, this is displayed as "5" for MP3s and "100" for FLACs.

Is there a way to map 100 to 5 ? I know how to use aliasTags to map one tag to another but I can't work out how to map a specific tag "result" to another.
22-07-2021, 17:40
(22-07-2021 17:10)edj Wrote:  Just to continue this thread, I am experiencing the same problem.

I tag my files either 5 stars or nothing using Mediamonkey. When read by Minimserver, this is displayed as "5" for MP3s and "100" for FLACs.

Is there a way to map 100 to 5 ? I know how to use aliasTags to map one tag to another but I can't work out how to map a specific tag "result" to another.

You can try the Tag Update property
22-07-2021, 20:02
(22-07-2021 17:40)Alandbush Wrote:  
(22-07-2021 17:10)edj Wrote:  Just to continue this thread, I am experiencing the same problem.

You can try the Tag Update property

Thank you for the tip; I did consider that but at first I was concerned that it would edit the tag of the original file. I read:

"the changes are made internally within MinimServer and don't affect the contents of your audio files on disk"

As meaning that the actual audio would remain the same but the tag would not. I now realise that is daft and wrong!

I think that if I want minimserver to display a rating of 100 as 5, the file tagupdate.txt would need to read

Code:
@RATING=100
=RATING=5

Pretty simple... is that correct?
22-07-2021, 20:05
Simple and correct. Smile
22-07-2021, 20:13