Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playlist / M3U
18-12-2012, 10:34
RE: Playlist / M3U
Hello Simon,

I'm also looking forward to playlist support. BTW, how does MinimServer handle symbolic links? E.g. could I create a 'playlist' on my NAS by just placing symbolic links to the individual audio files in a separate folder?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2012, 11:13
(18-12-2012 10:34)Macallan Wrote:  Hello Simon,

I'm also looking forward to playlist support. BTW, how does MinimServer handle symbolic links? E.g. could I create a 'playlist' on my NAS by just placing symbolic links to the individual audio files in a separate folder?

Thanks

I'm hoping to provide playlist support in the next release of MinimServer.

You could use symbolic links as an interim workaround. You'll need to arrange your library as follows:

all music
--- playlists
------ playlist 1
---------- link 1
---------- link 2
------ playlist 2
---------- link 1
---------- link 2
------ etc.
--- music files
------ file 1
------ file 2
------ etc.

Your contentDir setting would be 'all music'. To view your playlists, use folder view to select 'playlists' and navigate through subfolders to view your playlists. For normal browsing, use folder view to select 'music files' and then select Tag View.

If you don't separate the playlist links from the music files in this way, all the tracks in your playlists will appear as duplicates when you browse your library, because MinimServer will see the symbolic link and the original file as two separate files.
18-12-2012, 12:39
Thanks a lot!

I will try the symbolic links workaround, also looking forward to the 'official' playlist support :-)
19-12-2012, 01:06
Hi Simon,
I am trying to dump Twonky in favour of minimserver and would very much appreciate it if minimserver could show .m3u playlists. Until this is the case however I must continue to use Twonky as my wife uses playlists most of the time!!! I have created playlist files using Easytag in accordance with drafts requested by my wife and these files sit in top level Music directory on NAS. They are therefore quickly and easily selected when served by Twonky. If you could get minimserver to emulate this functionality to start with I would be content.
19-12-2012, 07:51
(19-12-2012 01:06)Budgie Wrote:  Hi Simon,
I am trying to dump Twonky in favour of minimserver and would very much appreciate it if minimserver could show .m3u playlists. Until this is the case however I must continue to use Twonky as my wife uses playlists most of the time!!! I have created playlist files using Easytag in accordance with drafts requested by my wife and these files sit in top level Music directory on NAS. They are therefore quickly and easily selected when served by Twonky. If you could get minimserver to emulate this functionality to start with I would be content.

I'm working on this now. Please could you post one of the playlists that your wife is using. It would be useful for me to see a real example.
17-01-2013, 10:13
Hi Simon. Great news that you are working on playlists :-)

Which playlists are you working on - the "standard pre-defined ones" or also the "smart playlists" that we know from iTunes?

While I only use iTunes nowadays for compatibility with my iPhone/iPad and have Minimserver as my main music server for my Akurate DS, I do feel that iTune could be looked at as a great example of functionality that I (we?) would like in Minimserver as well.

Just imagine that we would be able to define playlists in Minimserver, both the standard ones and the smart ones... This would have to be done within Minimserver, I guess somewhere in the Properties?

Of course, functionality for smart playlists would also imply a functionality where Minimserver watches the content of directories where music is stored, to make it possible to synchronize the smart playlist when the content of the music directories is changed.

You know - Minimserver is getting better and better with every new release :-)

Greetz, Willem
Netherlands
17-01-2013, 11:13
(17-01-2013 10:13)whgmkeller Wrote:  Hi Simon. Great news that you are working on playlists :-)

Which playlists are you working on - the "standard pre-defined ones" or also the "smart playlists" that we know from iTunes?

While I only use iTunes nowadays for compatibility with my iPhone/iPad and have Minimserver as my main music server for my Akurate DS, I do feel that iTune could be looked at as a great example of functionality that I (we?) would like in Minimserver as well.

Just imagine that we would be able to define playlists in Minimserver, both the standard ones and the smart ones... This would have to be done within Minimserver, I guess somewhere in the Properties?

Of course, functionality for smart playlists would also imply a functionality where Minimserver watches the content of directories where music is stored, to make it possible to synchronize the smart playlist when the content of the music directories is changed.

You know - Minimserver is getting better and better with every new release :-)

Greetz, Willem
Netherlands

The initial support will be for manually edited M3U and PLS playlists that are scanned as part of the music library. After that, I'm hoping to add support for automatic playlists such as "most recently added" and "most recently played".