Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playlist / M3U
27-04-2012, 10:22
Playlist / M3U
Am i right that minim at the moment doesn't support/read playlist files (e.g. m3u)? as far as i know there is no "common" way for a control point to create a playlist and store it somewhere on the network so that another control point could load the same playlist? so the only way to have playlists that are not only stored on the control point is to create them on a computer and save them as m3u file? have you planned to support playlist files in the feature?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2012, 13:55 (This post was last modified: 27-04-2012 13:55 by simoncn.)
RE: Playlist / M3U
(27-04-2012 10:22)KoS Wrote:  Am i right that minim at the moment doesn't support/read playlist files (e.g. m3u)? as far as i know there is no "common" way for a control point to create a playlist and store it somewhere on the network so that another control point could load the same playlist? so the only way to have playlists that are not only stored on the control point is to create them on a computer and save them as m3u file? have you planned to support playlist files in the feature?

Yes, I'm planning to add support for .m3u and .pls playlist files in a future release of MinimServer.
16-07-2012, 11:30
(27-04-2012 13:55)simoncn Wrote:  Yes, I'm planning to add support for .m3u and .pls playlist files in a future release of MinimServer.
great!

what would be interesting for all iTunes users is the possibility to parse also the "iTunes Library.xml" file where not only all metadata is stored but also the playlists from iTunes.

Linn has created a upnp server for iTunes music library that does nothing else than parsing the iTunes XML file -> http://oss.linn.co.uk/trac/wiki/Songbox
16-07-2012, 12:11
(16-07-2012 11:30)KoS Wrote:  what would be interesting for all iTunes users is the possibility to parse also the "iTunes Library.xml" file where not only all metadata is stored but also the playlists from iTunes.

Linn has created a upnp server for iTunes music library that does nothing else than parsing the iTunes XML file -> http://oss.linn.co.uk/trac/wiki/Songbox

I've got a small iTunes library, and my iTunes Music Library.xml file is 6600 lines long. I'm not aware of any Apple documentation for the format of this file. (There are a few articles on the web with some information.) I agree that this would be a useful thing to support, but it's probably not a simple task. Sad
16-07-2012, 13:44
i've looked at the linn OSS site and the svn repo (http://oss.linn.co.uk/repos/Public/) but couldn't find any particular source code for parsing the xml file. here are two interesting links for parsing the itunes library file:
java: http://trav.is/thoughts/2010/03/30/parsi...rser-java/
perl: http://search.cpan.org/~dinomite/Mac-iTu...ary/XML.pm
16-07-2012, 13:59 (This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 13:59 by bbrip.)
As Linn does it already, I am not sure there is a need for yet another Server based on iTunes stuff or parsing iTunes libraries.

I would much rather see Simon focus on all the many features that are not readily available in iTunes as he currently does.

bbrip
16-09-2012, 10:05
Hi Simon,
is it possible to think of the following playlist scenario:
In the folder structure there is a tree "Beethoven", and under that other folders like "Symphonies", "Piano Concertos" etc.
Under "Symphonies" there are different trees like "1. Symphony", "2. Symphony" etc.
And in the next level there are the several Conductors "Karajan 1950 Berliner", "Solti 1960 London..." etc.

Now I would like to place several playlists in the level "Symphonies", for all symphonies by Karajan, then another playlist for all symphonies by Solti etc.
The playlist for Karajan would then have the entries for symphony 1 to 9.

By browsing by folder in Minimserver in the level of the Beethoven symphonies: Here it would be best for me to see this playlist, maybe not even as a playlist but
as another "folder", or any other way a Control Point could do anything with it.

I hope this is understandable. Does it make sense?

J.
16-09-2012, 18:35
(16-09-2012 10:05)JoeBroesel Wrote:  Hi Simon,
is it possible to think of the following playlist scenario:
In the folder structure there is a tree "Beethoven", and under that other folders like "Symphonies", "Piano Concertos" etc.
Under "Symphonies" there are different trees like "1. Symphony", "2. Symphony" etc.
And in the next level there are the several Conductors "Karajan 1950 Berliner", "Solti 1960 London..." etc.

Now I would like to place several playlists in the level "Symphonies", for all symphonies by Karajan, then another playlist for all symphonies by Solti etc.
The playlist for Karajan would then have the entries for symphony 1 to 9.

By browsing by folder in Minimserver in the level of the Beethoven symphonies: Here it would be best for me to see this playlist, maybe not even as a playlist but
as another "folder", or any other way a Control Point could do anything with it.

I hope this is understandable. Does it make sense?

J.

It is understandable, and does make sense. The UPnP specification provides two kinds of playlist representation: a PlaylistItem, which is used by the control point to play the entire playlist contents in a fixed order, and a PlaylistContainer, which is more like an album container.

I haven't done any work on playlist support yet, and I don't know how the various UPnP control points handle PlaylistItem and PlaylistContainer. From your description, it sounds like you want to be able to create a PlaylistContainer that's embedded in the folder hierarchy. I would need to investigate how this is handled by control points before I decide what support to provide in MinimServer.
17-09-2012, 17:14 (This post was last modified: 17-09-2012 17:15 by JoeBroesel.)
Hi Simon,
I would even create the "playlists" myself - simple ascii-files with the paths to the files to be played.
The files relativ to where the folder the playlist file is located.

"Sinfonie Nr. 1/Bernard Haitink 1960/1. Satz.flac"
"Sinfonie Nr. 1/Bernard Haitink 1960/2. Satz.flac"
"Sinfonie Nr. 1/Bernard Haitink 1960/3. Satz.flac"
"Sinfonie Nr. 2/Bernard Haitink 1961/1. Satz.flac"
"Sinfonie Nr. 2/Bernard Haitink 1961/2. Satz.flac"
"Sinfonie Nr. 2/Bernard Haitink 1961/3. Satz.flac"

or
'name to be shown in control point'
'Sinfonie Nr. 1/Bernard Haitink 1960/*'
'Sinfonie Nr. 2/Bernard Haitink 1961/*'

If necessary I would write a small programm to simply create "playlist-Files" like this.
Then I would be independent of control-points - as Minimserver would do everything needed.

J.
17-09-2012, 22:23
(17-09-2012 17:14)JoeBroesel Wrote:  Hi Simon,
I would even create the "playlists" myself - simple ascii-files with the paths to the files to be played.
The files relativ to where the folder the playlist file is located.

"Sinfonie Nr. 1/Bernard Haitink 1960/1. Satz.flac"
"Sinfonie Nr. 1/Bernard Haitink 1960/2. Satz.flac"
"Sinfonie Nr. 1/Bernard Haitink 1960/3. Satz.flac"
"Sinfonie Nr. 2/Bernard Haitink 1961/1. Satz.flac"
"Sinfonie Nr. 2/Bernard Haitink 1961/2. Satz.flac"
"Sinfonie Nr. 2/Bernard Haitink 1961/3. Satz.flac"

or
'name to be shown in control point'
'Sinfonie Nr. 1/Bernard Haitink 1960/*'
'Sinfonie Nr. 2/Bernard Haitink 1961/*'

If necessary I would write a small programm to simply create "playlist-Files" like this.
Then I would be independent of control-points - as Minimserver would do everything needed.

J.

I don't understand why you think this would be independent of control points. MinimServer can't play anything; it can only send information to control points for selection and playing. The UPnP specifications define how servers send playlist information to control points, and MinimServer needs to conform to these specifications so that UPnP control points can interpret the playlist information correctly.

Also, when MinimServer adds supports for playlists, it will support existing standard formats for playlists such as .m3u and .pls files. It won't create a new nonstandard ASCII playlist format.