Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer 2 and BubbleUPnP on Synology NAS
28-05-2020, 05:35 (This post was last modified: 28-05-2020 05:47 by DSK.)
Question MinimServer 2 and BubbleUPnP on Synology NAS
Hi, I'm hoping that someone may be able to help me get my MinimServer system running again ...

Until 2 days ago I had been using older MinimServer and BubbleUPnP Server on the Synology DS212 NAS, with Bubble UPnP on the Android smartphone as control point. I could happily see my MinimServer music library and OpenHome renderer to send music to the Sonore Signature Rendu streamer in my hifi system.

A couple of days ago the NAS auto updated to DSM 6.2.3-25426 overnight (from the immediately previous update). I could no longer see my library or renderer in the BubbleUPnP control point on my Android phone. I restarted BubbleUPnP Server and a message flicked momentarily up about needing to reinstall Java.

I had horrible flashbacks of the efforts to get it installed properly in the first place. I restarted BubbleUPnP Server on the NAS and it started OK without any error but I still couldn't see anything except "Local Renderer" for renderer and "Local and Cloud" for library.

I then read that MinimServer 2 was now available for all Synology NASes and didn't need to separately install Java. I decided to do a nice clean installation so uninstalled BubbleUPnP Server, then MinimServer and then Java SE, electing not to keep the config files from each one as I uninstalled. I also uninstalled MinimWatch from my laptop and BubbleUPnP from my phone.

I then installed MinimServer2 on the NAS and MinimWatch2 on the laptop. They connect up OK and I presume the scan was all OK as it changed to "running" after a little while. The logfile shows some warnings with track data and playlists but finished with "running". I can see the MinimServer[DiskStation] object in File Explorer on my laptop and open it and see the CD tracks fine.

The installation notes said that at this point I "you should be able to see your MinimServer library in a UPnP control point". I wasn't sure whether this meant that I didn't need BubbleUPnP Server on the NAS with MinimServer2 so I installed BubbleUPnP on the phone again but it doesn't see the library or the renderer. So, I then tried to install the latest BubbleUPnP Server on the NAS but it failed with "Java is not installed or not properly configured. Download and install the Java Synology package."

Do I still need BubbleUPnP Server to create an OpenHome renderer or should MinimServer2 take care of this? If I do still need it, do I install embedded Java SE 8 using the same instructions as for the original MinimServer or will this interfere with the embedded Java in MinimServer2?

I don't access the NAS from outside of my home network. My internal addresses are 192.168.1.x (NAS is 192.168.1.3) and subnet is 255.255.255.0

I'm a bit lost at this point and would appreciate any help anyone can provide.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2020, 09:56
RE: MinimServer 2 and BubbleUPnP on Synology NAS
If you want an OpenHome renderer, you need to install BubbleUPnP Server and you need to install whatever version of Java this needs. It will not conflict with the version of Java that MinimServer is using.
29-05-2020, 00:08
(28-05-2020 09:56)simoncn Wrote:  If you want an OpenHome renderer, you need to install BubbleUPnP Server and you need to install whatever version of Java this needs. It will not conflict with the version of Java that MinimServer is using.

Thanks Simon.

I went ahead and re-installed the Java 8 and then successfully installed BubbleUPnP Server. It recognized the minimserver and happily created the OH renderer (which I can see in Windows File Explorer on my laptop) but BubbleUPnP on the Android phone still doesn't pick up the library or renderer. I don't think it is firewall/ports related as I don't need to access it from the internet and didn't need to do anything special when I originally had it working with the old MinimServer.

I'm assuming that MinimServer2 is OK but not 100% sure how to verify this when I can't access it with a control point. For now I'll assume that the issue is related to BubbleUPnP Server or Android BubbleUPnP and go find their forum for assistance.
29-05-2020, 05:32
I fired up Lumin on the iPad and it recognized the MinimServer2 library and the HO renderer and happily played music through the hifi. So this seems to indicate that everything on the NAS is OK (Minimserver2, Java, BubbleUPnP Server) and that Android BubbleUPnP is the problem.
29-05-2020, 15:34
Not sure what was up with Android BubbleUPnP but I downloaded Hifi-Cast instead and everything just worked instantly. Plus it is nicer aesthetically, more intuitive and with a better layout and customisability than Android BubbleUPnP, DS Lightning or Lumin. It is a very slick and well designed app.
29-05-2020, 15:48
I like Hi-Fi Cast as well. I hope some day it will add support for OpenHome renderers, which would enable me to start using it.
30-05-2020, 12:22
(29-05-2020 15:48)simoncn Wrote:  I like Hi-Fi Cast as well. I hope some day it will add support for OpenHome renderers, which would enable me to start using it.

What do you mean Simon? I'm using BubbleUPnP Server on the NAS to create the "proxy" OpenHome renderer for my Sonore SSR device and Hi-Fi Cast automatically picks it up as an available renderer and works perfectly. Are you saying that it doesn't pickup "true" OpenHome devices (i.e. that do not require a "proxy" OpenHome renderer to be setup by BubbleUPnP Server)?
30-05-2020, 12:46 (This post was last modified: 30-05-2020 12:46 by simoncn.)
Yes, I am using a true OpenHome renderer. Hi-Fi Cast does not see this renderer and cannot play music to it.