Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting most from MS..What tag program to use after itunes?
14-04-2013, 08:15 (This post was last modified: 14-04-2013 08:26 by wappinghigh.)
Getting most from MS..What tag program to use after itunes?
Hi all. For years I have had my library in itunes. ~5000 tracks. Recently I converted everything to AIFF and exported the tracks using one of Doug's scripts onto a QNAP to use with Minimserver.

I'd like to get more out of Minimserver. So my question is what program do you recommend to improve tagging with my new library? I'd like to stay within OSX and AIFF if possible, but if I had to I guess I could convert all the files. But what to? I want the tracks to remain uncompressed. Is there a tagging program that actually runs on the QNAP? Is there something that tags AIFF outside itunes. What about Jriver for mac> Any other options?

Cheers and thanks for helping.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2013, 10:09
RE: Getting most from MS..What tag program to use after itunes?
(14-04-2013 08:15)wappinghigh Wrote:  Hi all. For years I have had my library in itunes. ~5000 tracks. Recently I converted everything to AIFF and exported the tracks using one of Doug's scripts onto a QNAP to use with Minimserver.

I'd like to get more out of Minimserver. So my question is what program do you recommend to improve tagging with my new library? I'd like to stay within OSX and AIFF if possible, but if I had to I guess I could convert all the files. But what to? I want the tracks to remain uncompressed. Is there a tagging program that actually runs on the QNAP? Is there something that tags AIFF outside itunes. What about Jriver for mac> Any other options?

Cheers and thanks for helping.

I use Mp3tag on Windows, but I don't think this supports AIFF. I'm not aware of anything that runs on the QNAP (it's a bit tricky to do tagging without a UI). There are a few tagging programs for Mac, but I haven't used any of them myself. See this thread for some suggestions.
14-04-2013, 10:25
Thanks for the great link Simon. The problem I'm finding is there are very few which TAG uncompressed files..(AIFF and/or WAV)..even Mp3tag...

I'll take a closer look at qoobar...

Cheers
14-04-2013, 14:00
^ impossible..

Anybody using JRiver for mac as a simple tagging tool?
15-04-2013, 18:54 (This post was last modified: 15-04-2013 18:55 by bbrip.)
Hi, Metadatics works quite well for the Mac platform. Its not quite as feature-rich as mp3tag but certainly the best I've come across for Mac OSX.

You can forget about JRiver for Mac. Thats in such an early and buggy state that I would'nt even call it an "Alpha"-version.....

bbrip
27-04-2013, 08:57
^ Thanks for the Metadatics suggestion. Working beautifully. Can even edit tag's and add album art right on the QNAP (once it's mounted via smb) Cool Smile
27-04-2013, 10:28 (This post was last modified: 27-04-2013 10:29 by bbrip.)
(27-04-2013 08:57)wappinghigh Wrote:  ^ Thanks for the Metadatics suggestion. Working beautifully. Can even edit tag's and add album art right on the QNAP (once it's mounted via smb) Cool Smile

Pleasure to hear that Wink I think its a really good App. I love the power of the coverart conversion / resizing tool.

bbrip
09-08-2014, 14:13
Hi. Brand spanking new here and also new to Minimserver. My only experience with tagging comes from my days using iTunes, and with no technical abilities, I could very easily edit and clean up a lot of music file/album info and add artwork. I now have a reasonable collection of FLAC albums that need a lot of cleaning up.

This thread is over a year old. I'm using a Mac, that doesn't have Windows on it. Anyone aware of a Mac based tagging program that would be relatively easy for me to use? I'm going to check out Metadatics, which seemed to be the best option a year ago, but would love to know if there's something out there now that people love.

Thanks!
10-08-2014, 14:09 (This post was last modified: 10-08-2014 14:10 by Dieter Stockert.)
I was happy with Jaikoz (http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/) for a few years, but gave Metadatics a chance a few weeks ago. Metadatics is easier to use while Jaikoz can do more. And Metadatics is faster (especially when launching, but saving files that have changed seems a little faster, too), and you can remove files and add others within one working session. With Jaikoz a good part of my 27" screen was in use because of it's spreadsheet like concept (I liked it). Metadatics has another concept and I can keep the window much smaller.

One thing I did not like with Jaikoz was that often the settings were lost after an update.
10-08-2014, 16:43 (This post was last modified: 10-08-2014 16:45 by bbrip.)
(09-08-2014 14:13)eligeorgia Wrote:  This thread is over a year old. I'm using a Mac, that doesn't have Windows on it. Anyone aware of a Mac based tagging program that would be relatively easy for me to use? I'm going to check out Metadatics, which seemed to be the best option a year ago, but would love to know if there's something out there now that people love.

Thanks!

Metadatics is still the best tool around a year later IMHO Smile Forget Jaikoz if you are looking for a reasonably simple yet powerful solution. Jaikoz is a monster and not "Mac"-ish at all.

good luck
bbrip