Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melco firmware 3.92 official release now available
22-05-2020, 17:58
RE: Melco firmware 3.92 official release now available
(20-05-2020 21:48)simoncn Wrote:  I am not aware of any differences in sound quality. The intention of the changes is to provide improved functionality and usability.

I wanted to leave two days before writing this post to make sure that what I started to hear as soon as I updated to 3.92 + Minimserver2, was not an illusion. I do not know if when I had installed on my Melco Minimserver 0.8 I did not have Twonky deactivated (I would assure that it was) or perhaps that since Minimserver2 is an “official” installation, it is much better integrated with the Melco software, but the truth is that it is that the SQ increase has been very, very significant. The digital edge that was left in my system and that I've been struggling with for a long time, has simply disappeared, I hear more details and without any hearing fatigue, my system never sounded better.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2020, 18:41
(22-05-2020 17:58)nonesup Wrote:  
(20-05-2020 21:48)simoncn Wrote:  I am not aware of any differences in sound quality. The intention of the changes is to provide improved functionality and usability.

I wanted to leave two days before writing this post to make sure that what I started to hear as soon as I updated to 3.92 + Minimserver2, was not an illusion. I do not know if when I had installed on my Melco Minimserver 0.8 I did not have Twonky deactivated (I would assure that it was) or perhaps that since Minimserver2 is an “official” installation, it is much better integrated with the Melco software, but the truth is that it is that the SQ increase has been very, very significant. The digital edge that was left in my system and that I've been struggling with for a long time, has simply disappeared, I hear more details and without any hearing fatigue, my system never sounded better.
Are you listening with "Dark Mode" on the Melco activated?
I went from a very old FW version to this latest one and I too have been amazed at the SQ improvement in my system.
Simon to his credit isn't claiming any SQ enhancements from 0.8 to 2.0 so the improvements must coming from the Melco FW. What FW version did you update from?
22-05-2020, 19:12
I updated from 3.91.
I have activated "dark mode", deactivated the led of the RJ45 port and deactivated file sharing
22-05-2020, 19:31
Deactivating Twonky makes much more difference than anything else. On 3.92, you can't have both MinimServer and Twonky running at the same time and this is the main reason why.

Next after this is enabling dark mode. This makes a noticeable difference but not as much as deactivating Twonky.

I haven't tried deactivating the LED or deactivating file sharing.
23-05-2020, 09:32
(22-05-2020 19:12)nonesup Wrote:  I updated from 3.91.
I have activated "dark mode", deactivated the led of the RJ45 port and deactivated file sharing

That’s interesting, have you actually heard a difference with file sharing disabled and running?
I haven’t tried this myself I’ll have to give it a go.
23-05-2020, 11:43
None of those tweaks has produced an improvement comparable to 3.92 + Minimserver2