Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melco firmware 3.92 official release now available
13-05-2020, 22:31 (This post was last modified: 14-05-2020 10:13 by simoncn.)
Melco firmware 3.92 official release now available
The official release of the Melco 3.92 firmware for N1 (not N1/EX series) is now available. This replaces the beta firmware 3.92b. All Melco N1 users who have 3.92b installed should update to 3.92. The main difference is improved handling of some of the error situations that have been discussed in previous threads on this forum.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2020, 23:23
RE: Melco firmware 3.92 official release now available
Hi Simon, thanks, I just updated my N1Z/1 from v3.92b to v3.92. The update went smoothly and everything is working fine so far.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk1 (MinimServer 2) --> network --> AURALiC ARIES G2 --> Lightning Link (WWPS7 hdmi) --> AURALiC VEGA G2 with AURALiC LEO GX Master Clock --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 523 --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7
15-05-2020, 11:58
About to upgrade this. Question for Simon please..

If I simply download from the web and upgrade to 3.92, will my existing old style Minimserver continue to work without any configurations as it did before? I intend to purchase Minimserver 2, but not immediately. So the question is, if I do a quick upgrade to 3.92 will all still work as before? Has anyone noticed any differences in SQ with the new firmware?

And another dumb question - is it possible to upgrade to M 2 from within my Melco via the internet?

Donuk
PS - from Melco page:

●FW Ver 3.92 [13th May, 2020]

[Media Server]
- Fully renewed for 'MinimServer''SongKong'
- New Menu 'Media Server App'
'TwonkyServer' 'MinimServer' 'Off' are available.
* As [MELCO Localplay] front panel USB-DAC playback depends on TwonkyServer, it will be disabled when set to other than TwonkyServer.
'MinimServer' requires internet connection for initial installation. MinimServer version installed is MinimServer 2 Starter Edition
(free version with limited functionality, paid upgrade available).
For details, see the
minimserver.com/minimserver2/melco
page.
'Rescan Songs and Playlists' also works for MinimServer
'Configure MinimServer' menu presents URL for Web Configuration.
'Version Check' menu helps updating MinimServer independently from MELCO System Software.

- New Menu 'SongKong'
'SongKong' requires internet connection for initial installation (as Lite version)
'SongKong Service' disables/enables resident SongKong service.
'Configure SongKong' menu presents URL for controlling SongKong via a web browser.
This includes upgrade path to full version.
'Version Check' menu helps update SongKong independently from MELCO System Software.

* What is 'MinimServer'
Alternative UPnP AV Media Server Software dedicated to serve music (not for Movies/Photos)
Now MinimServer is 'recommended server' to use with various players such as dCS, Esoteric.

* What is 'SongKong'
It gathers/maintains detailed metadata for tracks including artwork inside MELCO using online databases.
Unlike Gracenote, SongKong works for all files installed.
SongKong Lite creates a preview detailed report showing the metadata that can be added, to save the changes requires a full Melco license.
SongKong Lite also provide the capability to manually edit track metadata on the web browser.

[Status]
- 'Music Database' shows MinimServer status when 'MinimServer' selected.
- 'Media Server' shows MinimServer version when 'MinimServer' selected.

[Import from CD]
- Bugfix regarding specific character of metadata stops importing as error

[USB-DAC Local Player]
- Support for 2GB-4GB WAV files again
* FW 3.90-3.91 treats WAV files 2GB-4GB as 'suspicious'.
because most of old WAV files indicates 2GB-4GB are actually broken. But now there is a demand to play large WAV files on MELCO
so we remove this limit again.
- Devices added for MELCO marker-less DSD
Mark Levinson No508x
PRIMARE I15
Ayre QB-9 twenty etc.

[Downloader]
- [OTOTOY] Retry within the session added when bought files are not ready on site.
- [mora] Support for requirement update.
15-05-2020, 13:19
If you update to 3.92, MinimServer 0.8 will continue to run but some of the new front-panel menus in 3.92 will not work as expected. Also, you will not be able to reinstall MinimServer 0.8 if you are on 3.92.

After you have updated to 3.92, you can install MinimServer 2 via the internet using a single button push on the front panel. Smile
15-05-2020, 13:21
Brilliant Simon. As I would expect from a major software house......
Have a safe weekend
D
17-05-2020, 17:29
Hello Simoncn.
I have just installed 3.92 on my Melco this weekend (from 2.3) and replaced the 0.8 installation with Minimserver 2 + Minimstreamer so i have been on a bit of steep learning curve.
I have just about managed to get everything working ok now and I have to say that BBC MPEG-DASH streams are revelatory for me, how long have these been available i wish I'd known sooner?
I just have a few questions I'd be grateful if you could help me with please?

1, I wasn't able to get the BBC MPEG-DASH streams working at all wth the stream.transcode code command *:L16 you use in your instructions but it works fine with the stream.transcode field left blank. The screen on the Melco shows PCM 48khz. If I want to send the stream as PCM as directly to my dac with the minimum amount of processing possible have I achieved this with these settings ?

2, I am very interested in the recording function in minim streamer. The stream.record field I take it would be the full http address of the BBC MPEG-STREAM I wish to record correct ? Also is it possible to set up a weekly recording, you mention in the instructions a daily recording but weekly would suit my requirements better?

3, When you assisted me originally to install minim server on my Melco and get the BBC HLS streams up and running a few years back we both agreed that the Lumin app was the best IOS control point app we'd tried, I just wondered if you'd come across anything better in the mean time?
Thanks in advance,
Matthew
17-05-2020, 18:04
A lot has changed since 2.3 and you can now take advantage of dark mode for the display and an improved disk formatting scheme. I think there have also been some sound quality improvements.

The instructions on this page suggest using aac:L16 or aac:wav if the AAC stream doesn't play. Perhaps you were looking at the page for Naim streamers, which does say you should use *:L16 (actually, this is wrong; with the current sample playlist files, it should be aac:L16).

If you want to transcode to PCM with your Melco, I suggest you try aac:wav or aac:wav24. In my experience, this improves the sound. Are you using the Melco USB-DAC as a renderer or just using the Melco as a server?

For recording, you need to use the stream ID. In the sample playlist for MPEG-DASH, Radio 3 has a stream ID of R3 (this is not case-sensitive).

Weekly recording is much more complicated than daily recording, with the need to specify days of the week, presumably with different time periods for each day. This would require a different user interface than the current text field.

I can't find any post from me in the previous thread from 2016 saying that the LUMIN app is the best control point app for iOS. I haven't (unfortunately) found any control point apps for iOS that I would recommend. The LUMIN app has its good and bad points, as do a few others. A lot of people like the LUMIN app but I don't use it myself. On Android, BubbleUPnP and Hi-Fi Cast are the best that I have used.
17-05-2020, 18:31
(17-05-2020 18:04)simoncn Wrote:  A lot has changed since 2.3 and you can now take advantage of dark mode for the display and an improved disk formatting scheme. I think there have also been some sound quality improvements.

The instructions on this page suggest using aac:L16 or aac:wav if the AAC stream doesn't play. Perhaps you were looking at the page for Naim streamers, which does say you should use *:L16 (actually, this is wrong; with the current sample playlist files, it should be aac:L16).

If you want to transcode to PCM with your Melco, I suggest you try aac:wav or aac:wav24. In my experience, this improves the sound. Are you using the Melco USB-DAC as a renderer or just using the Melco as a server?

For recording, you need to use the stream ID. In the sample playlist for MPEG-DASH, Radio 3 has a stream ID of R3 (this is not case-sensitive).

Weekly recording is much more complicated than daily recording, with the need to specify days of the week, presumably with different time periods for each day. This would require a different user interface than the current text field.

I can't find any post from me in the previous thread from 2016 saying that the LUMIN app is the best control point app for iOS. I haven't (unfortunately) found any control point apps for iOS that I would recommend. The LUMIN app has its good and bad points, as do a few others. A lot of people like the LUMIN app but I don't use it myself. On Android, BubbleUPnP and Hi-Fi Cast are the best that I have used.

Thanks for the rapid reply Simon!
I was wondering about possible sq improvements but thought it may have been my imagination, I wonder how this was achieved?
I am using the Melco as a renderer, sorry I should have mentioned this in my post connected via usb to chord hugo TT2.
So if I'm leaving the stream.transcode field blank the dac is doing all the work with the Melco just passing the stream through in it's original native format correct ?
So the format of MPEG-DASH is still aac correct ? sorry if this is a stupid question but it's completely new to me.
I apologise for putting words in your mouth re the lumin app nothing was intended just a result of my vague failing memory!
Kind regards,
Matthew
17-05-2020, 20:56
In your setup, with no stream.transcode setting it is the Melco USB-DAC renderer that would decode AAC into PCM before passing it to the TT2. This means you will get less benefit from MinimStreamer doing WAV transcoding than if the Melco were streaming across the network but I think it is still worth trying this for a comparison.

The MPEG-DASH stream contains AAC data (somewhat deeply buried) and MinimStreamer extracts this and sends it to the renderer as a "normal" AAC/ADTS stream.

Dark mode improves sound quality because it disables an internal process within the Melco. I believe there have been other tweaks but I don't know the details of what was changed.
20-05-2020, 18:36
Simón, there is some difference in SQ between 0.8 and the new version installed in Melco, either Starter Edition or Minimserver2