Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimWatch problem
07-05-2020, 14:50
MinimWatch problem
Hi. I'm just starting to use MinimServer and MinimWatch, so apologies if this is a silly question. However, when I go to MinimWatch all menu items are greyed out except for Options, Refresh and Exit.

I've checked my firewall (Kaspersky), and MinimWatch is set as a trusted application.

BubbleUPnP can see MinimServer on my Synology DS218j NAS.

The MinimWatch log says:

MinimWatch 0.8.5.3 update 64, Copyright © 2012-2019 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_251-b08)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 25.251-b08, mixed mode)
Platform default charset is windows-1252
Active subnet is 192.168.1.0
Startup complete

Any advice gratefully received.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2020, 15:30
RE: MinimWatch problem
(07-05-2020 14:50)pillarbloke Wrote:  I've checked my firewall (Kaspersky), and MinimWatch is set as a trusted application.

Did you mean MinimWatch?

MinimWatch uses Java and it is 'Java ™ Platform SE binary' which should be set as a trusted application. At least this is how it looks in the Windows Defender firewall Inbound rules.
07-05-2020, 15:58
(07-05-2020 15:30)Alandbush Wrote:  
(07-05-2020 14:50)pillarbloke Wrote:  I've checked my firewall (Kaspersky), and MinimWatch is set as a trusted application.

Did you mean MinimWatch?

MinimWatch uses Java and it is 'Java ™ Platform SE binary' which should be set as a trusted application. At least this is how it looks in the Windows Defender firewall Inbound rules.

Hi Alan. Both 'Java ™ Platform SE binary' and mwatch.jar are listed under the trusted applications.
07-05-2020, 17:08
(07-05-2020 15:58)pillarbloke Wrote:  
(07-05-2020 15:30)Alandbush Wrote:  

Did you mean MinimWatch?

Hi Alan. Both 'Java ™ Platform SE binary' and mwatch.jar are listed under the trusted applications.

Hmm. Could you check the program path associated with the 'Java ™ Platform SE binary' rule. Does it point to the latest version of Java running on your pc.
Failing that, I'll defer to simoncn for more advice.
07-05-2020, 17:54 (This post was last modified: 07-05-2020 17:55 by simoncn.)
Welcme to the MinimServer forum!

The active subnet setting seems correct, assuming that your NAS has a 192.168.1.x address.

The UPnP discovery protocol uses a combination of UDP and TCP messages. If Kasperksy is blocking either of these, MinimWatch will not be able to find MinimServer.

I think it would be helpful to completely disable the Kaspersky firewall for a very short time and stop and restart MinimWatch to see if this enables MinimWatch to find MinimServer. If it does, you can re-enable the firewall while you investigate what Kaspersky settings need to be changed.

Also, you should make sure that your network is recognised by Windows as a private network.
07-05-2020, 20:15
I've disabled the firewall, closed and restarted MinimWatch, but no luck. I've also checked (hopefully, if I was looking in the right place!) the network. It was showing as public, so I've changed it to private. Alas, again no change to MinimWatch, though.
07-05-2020, 20:50
After the network change to private, is your active subnet still 192.168.1.0? Does your NAS have a 192.168.1.x address?

If the answers to both the above are Yes, the next step is to create a debug log for MinimWatch, if you are up for that.

1) From the minim icon, select Options > Show log (watch)
2) In the MinimWatch log window, set the logging level to Debug
3) Close the log window
4) From the minim icon, select Options > Properties (watch) and set the ohnet.debug property to All
5) From the minim icon, select Refresh
6) Wait 1 minute, then exit MinimWatch
7) Find the minimwatch.log file. It is in the folder C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\MinimWatch\data. The AppData folder is hidden by default in Windows Explorer but you can type this full path into the Explorer address bar.
8) Zip the minimwatch.log file to save space and attach the zipped file to a post here

I am hoping that this will provide some clues to what is happening.
08-05-2020, 11:26
Hi Simon. I've attached the zipped log file.

Attached File(s)
.zip  minimwatch.zip (Size: 6.84 KB / Downloads: 2)
08-05-2020, 12:18
Thanks for this. I see what is causing the problem on the MinimWatch side. It is not related to firewall settings. Please can you post the minimserver.config file from the MinimServer/appData folder on your Synology NAS.
08-05-2020, 12:29
Zipped and attached.

Attached File(s)
.zip  minimserver.zip (Size: 495 bytes / Downloads: 1)