Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does MinimServer have to run on the same device that hosts the music library?
22-04-2020, 14:27
Does MinimServer have to run on the same device that hosts the music library?
I ask because I'm back with problems listening to the UK BBC R3 stream over a VPN. My music files are on a QNAP HS-251+ on which I have installed MinimServer and MinimStreamer and set up a VPN. The last time I had a problem it turned out that I'd forgotten to change DNS settings after changing from a Smart DNS service to a VPN. (Thank you, Simon, for some brilliant troubleshooting on that occasion!) Now I'm simply at the end of my tether trying to get the VPN service functioning properly again on the QNAP: it's showing as connected to UK servers, but iPlayer and Sounds will neither function. The same service works perfectly well on my Android TV box, so I assume the problem's specific to the QNAP. Hence my post: if I was to run MinimServer and MinimStreamer on a Raspberry Pi - I have one semi-spare - where I think I'd have a better chance of running a working VPN, could MS be configured to find the music library on the QNAP?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2020, 14:40
RE: Does MinimServer have to run on the same device that hosts the music library?
You could share the library on the QNAP using either NFS or SMB/CIFS and set up the RPi to access this network share. If you can get to the point where the files are visible on the RPi using the 'ls' terminal command, MinimServer will be able to access them.
22-04-2020, 15:53
RE: Does MinimServer have to run on the same device that hosts the music library?
(22-04-2020 14:40)simoncn Wrote:  You could share the library on the QNAP using either NFS or SMB/CIFS and set up the RPi to access this network share. If you can get to the point where the files are visible on the RPi using the 'ls' terminal command, MinimServer will be able to access them.

That's good news and very helpful, Simon. Many thanks. I'll give it a try.