Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help finding contol point compatible with Krell Connect
07-04-2020, 02:31
Help finding contol point compatible with Krell Connect
First, thanks for reading.

I have a Krell Connect (no dac) and the app Krell provides does not have a search or playlist feature. Frankly, it's a bit flaky and doesn't stay connected to the Connect very well.

I had been using Kinsky and upmpdcli to mpd running on a BDP-1 and I liked the combination but thought the Krell might sound better (it does to me, btw).

I have spent much time trying to find a control app that can see both the Connect and minimserver with not much luck. I only have iOS devices here. I know that may be part of the problem and the iPad I want to use is stuck on iOS 9.

Anyone else out there with this particular predicament?

The craziest thing I've done so far is try to get mpd on the Linux box running minimserver to play through pulseaudio-dlna. Sadly, that is fraught with issues, the worse being that it resamples the audio for no good reason.

To the best of my knowledge, the Krell is based off the StreamUnlimited 700 so anything compatible with that and my iPad should work.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2020, 06:21
RE: Help finding contol point compatible with Krell Connect
I do not own a Krell like yours .... then this is just a tip ... You could try Mconnect player lite, it is free and compatible with iOS 9.3. It has few features less then the payed apps (mconnect player for iPhone and mconnect player hd for iPad) but is useful for a try. And it offers search functionality
07-04-2020, 09:40
... another tip, a little more complex

you could try to install Bubbleupnpserver where you like ... maybe on the same nas/pc where minimserver is running.
If Bubbleupnpserver will see your Krell then it will give it OpenHome capability therefore it will be discovered through Bubbleupnpserver by a lot of apps.
Bubbleupnpserver is free and can be downloaded here ... https://bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/
In case of success you should try Lumin app (iOS 9.3 compatible too) ... it has a very fine user interface
09-04-2020, 17:50
When I did a comparative audition of renders in 2014 I included the Krell Connect. Very good sound quality. I found the Audionet Control app was the best. Latest version is here:
http://en.audionet.de/apps/rcp/
I suggest you give it a try.

My parallel assessment of control apps led to my choosing the BubbleUPnP app. This only runs on Android devices but it was the best I could find. A critical factor for my use was provision of gapless playback which some control apps do not support.

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
11-04-2020, 22:17
(09-04-2020 17:50)DavidL Wrote:  I found the Audionet Control app was the best. Latest version is here:
http://en.audionet.de/apps/rcp/

That has a limit of 10 items in the playlist for non-Audionet renderers :-(.
At least the version on my iPad: Audionet IMM

Sometimes I have a few hundred items.
11-04-2020, 22:18
(07-04-2020 06:21)stefano_mbp Wrote:  You could try Mconnect player lite, it is free and compatible with iOS 9.3.

That's working. I have to put it through its paces. Sadly, it doesn't update the screen on the Krell with what is playing. I don't think any of the DLNA/UPNP control points do besides the Krell app.
11-04-2020, 22:45
(07-04-2020 09:40)stefano_mbp Wrote:  ... another tip, a little more complex

you could try to install Bubbleupnpserver where you like ... maybe on the same nas/pc where minimserver is running.
If Bubbleupnpserver will see your Krell then it will give it OpenHome capability therefore it will be discovered through Bubbleupnpserver by a lot of apps.
Bubbleupnpserver is free and can be downloaded here ... https://bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/
In case of success you should try Lumin app (iOS 9.3 compatible too) ... it has a very fine user interface

I had been using upmpdcli/mpd for this on my previous player. Bubbleupnpserver is definitely a more polished experience.

The Lumin player is working. It sadly does not update the Krell display with the currently playing song.

I wonder how the native app manages to do that.
26-04-2020, 22:07
BubbleUPNP and Kazoo are working great together.

Thanks everyone for the tips!