Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ReScan Interval / MinimServer 2 not catching changes on Melco
25-03-2020, 08:35
ReScan Interval / MinimServer 2 not catching changes on Melco
Just received my updated Melco (now sort of EX) back from the service.

MinimServer 2.0.7 is installed.

It appears to me that MinimServer does NOT detect changes to my library automatically. If I copy/add an album from remote to the shared of the Melco
I can't find it in UPNP clients.

After a manual restart/rescan using MinimWatch the added files are available.

Do I miss anything?

I did not find a "reason interval" option or so within MinimWatch properties.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2020, 10:17 (This post was last modified: 25-03-2020 10:45 by simoncn.)
RE: ReScan Interval / MinimServer 2 not catching changes on Melco
MinimServer currently requires a manual rescan to detect library changes. Automatic rescans might be supported in the future but this is not simple to implement. See this post for some background on this.

You can do the rescan from the Melco front panel if this is more convenient than using MinimWatch. If you are playing music when the rescan starts, it will continue to play while the rescan is happening.
25-03-2020, 23:30
Hi Simon. Is this still the case?:

"If the startupScan property is set to true (the default), MinimServer does a complete library scan when it is started. This scan uses MinimServer's library cache to avoid the overhead of reading audio files that haven't changed since the last scan."

https://minimserver.com/ug-running.html#...io%20files

Thanks.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk1 (MinimServer 2) --> network --> AURALiC ARIES G2 --> Lightning Link (WWPS7 hdmi) --> AURALiC VEGA G2 with AURALiC LEO GX Master Clock --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 523 --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7
25-03-2020, 23:49
This is true for all platforms except Melco. On Melco, the default for startupScan is false.

This Melco-specific setting was chosen because MinimServer 0.8 could only be started when the Melco was powered on and it seemed unlikely that any files could have changed while the Melco was powered off. Also, rescanning a large library at power on could cause a long delay before MinimServer could be used.

Now that MinimServer 2 can be stopped and started from the Melco front panel, omitting the startup scan by default might be more of an issue than it was with MinimServer 0.8. Do you have a view about this?
26-03-2020, 03:19
Hi Simon and thanks for the reply. After upgrading to MinimServer 2, I switched the startupScan setting in my Melco from "false" to "true" because I wanted to "avoid the overhead of reading audio files that haven't changed since the last scan."

I guess my question would be: Which of the following uses less resources and puts less of a strain on the Melco hard drives?:

A. Setting startupScan to "true"; or

B. Setting startupScan to "false" and using MinimWatch's "Rescan" feature?

If the answer is that they are the same, then I would likely switch back to "false" for startupScan.

Thanks.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk1 (MinimServer 2) --> network --> AURALiC ARIES G2 --> Lightning Link (WWPS7 hdmi) --> AURALiC VEGA G2 with AURALiC LEO GX Master Clock --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 523 --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7
26-03-2020, 09:48
If startupScan is set to true, MinimServer does a rescan every time it is started. For most users, this is when the Melco is powered on. The startup rescan will happen whether or not any files have been changed or added since the last rescan. For most users, no files will have been changed or added and the startup rescan will be unnecessary. The startup rescan will delay MinimServer startup and add a very small amount of usage to the Melco hard drives.

For these reasons, I think it is best to manually rescan after you have added music and set startupScan to false.
26-03-2020, 13:32 (This post was last modified: 26-03-2020 15:08 by GreenMtnGringo.)
Hi, okay thanks, will do.

BTW, the update to MS2 v2.0.8 went smoothly.