Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing track
22-03-2020, 09:37 (This post was last modified: 22-03-2020 10:21 by beckphotonik.)
RE: Missing track
This is definitely something to do with the LABEL tag (TPUB) as I have just removed the tag from a badly affected album and MinimServer reads all the tags and the album disappears from [untagged]. Put the LABEL tag back again and the album reappears in the [untagged] list.

Melco N1ZH/2 (updated to EX) MinimServer2, Chord M Scaler, DAVE, SPM1200MKII, Wilson Benesch Vectors
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2020, 11:26 (This post was last modified: 22-03-2020 12:22 by simoncn.)
The file format is corrupt. MinimServer tries to detect all such cases but the logic for doing this isn't handling this case correctly.

A WAV file has a header followed by a number of chunks. The header has a length field giving the total size of all data in the file (the form size). This would usually be the same as the file size. The format of this length field should be "little endian". In this file, the length field is incorrectly formatted as "big endian" which makes its value smaller than it should be and MinimServer stops reading the file before it has got as far as the ID3v2 tag near the end of the file.

MinimServer checks for inconsistencies between the lengths of all the chunks and the form size but the error in this file is not picked up by the current checks. Unfortunately, a number of tagging programs get these lengths slightly wrong (usually off by 4 or 8), so beng 100% strict can cause errors to be reported for some files that are actually readable.

I will produce an update soon with an improvement to the length checking code.
22-03-2020, 12:23
Simon, many thanks for discovering the cause of this. If you can produce an update that would be great as I have found few MacOS tagging programmes that I can get on with. I shall send your explanation off to Metadatics to see if they can come up with a solution for their App.

Melco N1ZH/2 (updated to EX) MinimServer2, Chord M Scaler, DAVE, SPM1200MKII, Wilson Benesch Vectors
22-03-2020, 19:02
Mark at metadatics has accepted the error and has sent me a beta to test. So far all looks fine, the missing tracks are appearing where they should be all correctly tagged.

09-06-2020, 17:35
There is improved length checking for problems with WAV files as well as improvements with accepting faulty files in MinimServer update 160.
09-06-2020, 20:19
(09-06-2020 17:35)simoncn Wrote:  There is improved length checking for problems with WAV files as well as improvements with accepting faulty files in MinimServer update 160.

Good to know, many thanks