Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
music view on a Mac
11-04-2013, 12:12
music view on a Mac
question...is there a way to see your music that has been loaded in Minim on your Mac like EMM ?..#2. one of my loaded albums..'Eagles 'hell freezes over' does not play through my ipad...#3..how to delete albums on Minim.?.how to add newly downloaded HD musicor uploaded music to itunes onto Minim....sorry if these questions have been addressed elseware. i am very happy with what i do see and hear through my ipad to this point. much better than EMM..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2013, 14:14
RE: music view on a Mac
(11-04-2013 12:12)calloway Wrote:  question...is there a way to see your music that has been loaded in Minim on your Mac like EMM ?..

You need to use a UPnP control point that runs on the Mac. I've used Linn Kinsky (see this page) which works quite well. Another option is Songbook Mac (see this page), which I haven't used myself.

Quote:#2. one of my loaded albums..'Eagles 'hell freezes over' does not play through my ipad...

This might be the problem that was reported in this thread. What format are the songs in the album that doesn't play? Do they have embedded album art?

Quote:#3..how to delete albums on Minim.?.how to add newly downloaded HD musicor uploaded music to itunes onto Minim....

To make MinimServer rescan for newly added music, you need to select Restart from the minim icon. This should be fairly quick because MinimServer uses a cache file. If you have music playing before you do the restart, it will continue to play while the restart is taking place.

To delete music, use Finder to delete the files, then restart MinimServer.

Quote:sorry if these questions have been addressed elseware. i am very happy with what i do see and hear through my ipad to this point. much better than EMM..

I'm happy to answer any questions, even if they have been addressed elsewhere. Thanks for the kind words!
11-04-2013, 15:18
Simon..thanks for your fast response.if i download 'songbook for mac' do i have to delete EMM ?..if i can't play 'Hell Freezes Over' on Minim i would like to be able to change to EMM on my Elyric controller to play that disc if possible on my ipad..is there a chance that if i deleted HFO' from MINIM and then reloaded my music that it might play the next time..?..thanks for your help..dave
(11-04-2013 14:14)simoncn Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 12:12)calloway Wrote:  question...is there a way to see your music that has been loaded in Minim on your Mac like EMM ?..

You need to use a UPnP control point that runs on the Mac. I've used Linn Kinsky (see this page) which works quite well. Another option is Songbook Mac (see this page), which I haven't used myself.

Quote:#2. one of my loaded albums..'Eagles 'hell freezes over' does not play through my ipad...

This might be the problem that was reported in this thread. What format are the songs in the album that doesn't play? Do they have embedded album art?

Quote:#3..how to delete albums on Minim.?.how to add newly downloaded HD musicor uploaded music to itunes onto Minim....

To make MinimServer rescan for newly added music, you need to select Restart from the minim icon. This should be fairly quick because MinimServer uses a cache file. If you have music playing before you do the restart, it will continue to play while the restart is taking place.

To delete music, use Finder to delete the files, then restart MinimServer.

Quote:sorry if these questions have been addressed elseware. i am very happy with what i do see and hear through my ipad to this point. much better than EMM..

I'm happy to answer any questions, even if they have been addressed elsewhere. Thanks for the kind words!
11-04-2013, 15:41
(11-04-2013 15:18)calloway Wrote:  Simon..thanks for your fast response.if i download 'songbook for mac' do i have to delete EMM ?..if i can't play 'Hell Freezes Over' on Minim i would like to be able to change to EMM on my Elyric controller to play that disc if possible on my ipad..is there a chance that if i deleted HFO' from MINIM and then reloaded my music that it might play the next time..?..thanks for your help..dave

It would be helpful if you could answer my question about the format of the HFO album. This would confirm whether or not it's the same problem that was reported already.

If it is the same problem, there will be a fix very soon in 0.71. So it probably isn't worth going to a lot of trouble to work around this.

I haven't used Songbook Mac myself, so I don't know for certain whether it would interfere with EMM, but I think it's very unlikely that you'd have a problem running both at the same time.

I don't think it would help to delete HFO and reload it.
11-04-2013, 15:58
Simon..by 'format of the HFO album'..i am not exactly sure what you mean by that..sorry ...
(11-04-2013 15:41)simoncn Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 15:18)calloway Wrote:  Simon..thanks for your fast response.if i download 'songbook for mac' do i have to delete EMM ?..if i can't play 'Hell Freezes Over' on Minim i would like to be able to change to EMM on my Elyric controller to play that disc if possible on my ipad..is there a chance that if i deleted HFO' from MINIM and then reloaded my music that it might play the next time..?..thanks for your help..dave

It would be helpful if you could answer my question about the format of the HFO album. This would confirm whether or not it's the same problem that was reported already.

If it is the same problem, there will be a fix very soon in 0.71. So it probably isn't worth going to a lot of trouble to work around this.

I haven't used Songbook Mac myself, so I don't know for certain whether it would interfere with EMM, but I think it's very unlikely that you'd have a problem running both at the same time.

I don't think it would help to delete HFO and reload it.
11-04-2013, 17:39
(11-04-2013 15:58)calloway Wrote:  Simon..by 'format of the HFO album'..i am not exactly sure what you mean by that..sorry ...

Sorry that I wasn't clear. The format is something like AIFF (a .aif file), MP4 (a .m4a or .mp4 file), MP3 (a .mp3 file), FLAC (a .flac file) or WAV (a .wav file).

The problem described in the other thread could occur with AIFF or MP3 files, but not the other formats.
11-04-2013, 18:19 (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 23:27 by calloway.)
Simon..thanks..i will look and see after i get home tonight. It might be an AIFF file. it would not be an MP3 file..also...if i download the Kinsky' will it see Minim and / or EMM...and how does that work..?..dave
(11-04-2013 17:39)simoncn Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 15:58)calloway Wrote:  Simon..by 'format of the HFO album'..i am not exactly sure what you mean by that..sorry ...

Sorry that I wasn't clear. The format is something like AIFF (a .aif file), MP4 (a .m4a or .mp4 file), MP3 (a .mp3 file), FLAC (a .flac file) or WAV (a .wav file).

The problem described in the other thread could occur with AIFF or MP3 files, but not the other formats.
12-04-2013, 01:48
Simon..i deleted HFO on my itunes as it was a 'K2' disc dowload.i downloaded another SHM cd version of HFO and added it to the Minim server and it now plays through the ipad using the minim icon.question..if i download the Linn 'Kinsky' on my IMac other then allowing me to present my downloaded music in a better format, on my computer, how will it help me with my music played through my audio system.?..when i started my computer tonight i had to click on the downloaded file in my downloads to get the 'minim ' icon to populate my tool bar. is that something i will have to do every time i start my computer or is there a way i can keep the icon at the top of my home page..?.sorry about so many questions..i love the program and i want to learn how to best avail myself of all that it has to offer. i have a friend that will be downloading it either saturday or sunday this week.by the way..i like to sound of the music on Minim better than EMM...
12-04-2013, 01:49
(12-04-2013 01:48)calloway Wrote:  Simon..i deleted HFO on my itunes as it was a 'K2' disc dowload.i downloaded another SHM cd version of HFO and added it to the Minim server and it now plays through the ipad using the minim icon.question..if i download the Linn 'Kinsky' on my IMac other then allowing me to present my downloaded music in a better format, on my computer, how will it help me with my music played through my audio system.?..when i started my computer tonight i had to click on the downloaded file in my downloads to get the 'minim ' icon to populate my tool bar. is that something i will have to do every time i start my computer or is there a way i can keep the icon at the top of my home page..?.sorry about so many questions..i love the program and i want to learn how to best avail myself of all that it has to offer. i have a friend that will be downloading it either saturday or sunday this week.by the way..i like to sound of the music on Minim better than EMM...
12-04-2013, 09:11
(12-04-2013 01:48)calloway Wrote:  Simon..i deleted HFO on my itunes as it was a 'K2' disc dowload.i downloaded another SHM cd version of HFO and added it to the Minim server and it now plays through the ipad using the minim icon.question.

I'm not familiar with K2 or SHM, but I'm glad this has solved the problem. Smile

Quote:.if i download the Linn 'Kinsky' on my IMac other then allowing me to present my downloaded music in a better format, on my computer, how will it help me with my music played through my audio system.?

It would let you use your computer to browse your library and select music to play through your audio system.

Quote:..when i started my computer tonight i had to click on the downloaded file in my downloads to get the 'minim ' icon to populate my tool bar. is that something i will have to do every time i start my computer or is there a way i can keep the icon at the top of my home page..?

If you're using Mac OS X Lion or Mountain Lion, you can leave MinimServer running when you shut down the computer and select the "Reopen windows when logging back in" option from the shutdown pop-up. When you restart the computer, MinimServer will be restarted automatically.

Quote:.sorry about so many questions..i love the program and i want to learn how to best avail myself of all that it has to offer. i have a friend that will be downloading it either saturday or sunday this week.by the way..i like to sound of the music on Minim better than EMM...

I'm not sure why the sound would be better. Some people have found the sound is better when they set the 'transcode' property to 'wav' or 'wav24'. Have you done this, or is the 'transcode' property field blank?