Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sorting glitch/problem
04-03-2020, 13:37 (This post was last modified: 04-03-2020 15:16 by redged.)
Sorting glitch/problem
Hello

I have 1 artist that is sorting by last name first and cannot understand why. Everything else sorts correctly(how I like) eg Frank Zappa is under F, The Beatles are under B etc, but for some reason Ryan Adams is showing under A?

I have tried deleting all tags and then re-entereing them but it is still happening. I have over 1500 albums which are all sorting correctly except these 2???

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Kind regards

Ged

Update - I have inserted the following in my sorting.txt which has fixed the problem, but would be nice to understand why it was happening in the first place.

@ARTIST=Ryan Adams
+ARTISTSORT=Ryan Adams
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2020, 16:04
RE: Sorting glitch/problem
Please post all your MinimServer configuration settings.
04-03-2020, 16:49
Thank you for your quick reply Simon.

Here are all my settings (I think)!

Attached File(s)
.config  minimserver.config (Size: 1.38 KB / Downloads: 7)
04-03-2020, 17:45
Thanks for this. If you are seeing the unexpected sort position in the Artist index, it could be because this artist has files tagged with AlbumArtist and AlbumArtistSort. To confirm this, check the All Artists index to see if the sort position is the same there.
04-03-2020, 18:07
Hello Simon, thanks for your help.

I have removed the lines from the sorting.txt so the problem returns.

Once done the artist (Ryan Adams) is under A in albums, artists & all artists.

I have checked Tags and only Artist is completed.

Sorry bit unsure to what I have done wrong.

Thanks again for any help

Ged
04-03-2020, 18:30
What type of file is this (MP3, FLAC, etc.)? Are there any warning messages in the MinimServer log when you do a rescan?
04-03-2020, 18:48 (This post was last modified: 04-03-2020 19:27 by redged.)
Hello Simon

The files are FLAC & there is one error on the log regarding one track on one of the albums.

It looks like there is a problem with the tag. I have tried deleting then re-writing them using mp3tag but for some reason the problem persists.

Is there a better way/program to completley delete FLAC tag information and start fresh?

All tags are showing correct information on mp3tag but not minimserver?

Log is showing this....

Warning: Ignoring conflicting custom value for ARTIST tag 'Ryan Adams' in file Ryan Adams/Heartbreaker/04 - Amy.flac applied sort value is 'Adams, Ryan'; conflicting sort value is 'Ryan Adams'

Cheers

Ged

Update - Managed to sort by deleting and saving tags several times and then re-doing tags, finally worked. Cheers and thanks again for your help Simon.
04-03-2020, 20:35
This message means that one of your Ryan Adams files had a custom ARTISTSORT tag value of "Adams, Ryan" but other files with the same ARTIST tag did not have this ARTISTSORT value.

In such a case, MinimServer has to choose which sort value to use for Ryan Adams and it chooses to use the custom sort value while producing this warning to alert you to the issue.
05-03-2020, 09:32
Cheers Simon,

As said earlier I deleted all tag information then re-entered it but still sorting same way. Only way I could sort was by deleting then saving several times and then re-entering tags. I have no idea why it required this but it is what it is. Great for the info regarding the log as I can check periodically now if there are any other problems.

As always thanks for a fantastic piece of software and all your hard work, also thanks for your on line support!

Regards Ged

PS any update on whether you are still trying to add a "recently added" or "last added" sort? Only thing missing in my humble opinion.
05-03-2020, 10:08
Yes, recently added will happen as part of MinimServer 2, just not sure exactly when.