Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DoPWave problems
07-09-2013, 22:44
RE: DoPWave problems
(07-09-2013 16:38)simoncn Wrote:  Which UPnP renderer are you using on the Mac to send the DoP/WAV stream from MinimServer to the Mac USB output?
Plug Player
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2013, 22:49 (This post was last modified: 07-09-2013 23:12 by wappinghigh.)
(07-09-2013 16:16)simoncn Wrote:  The transcoded DoP/WAV stream from MinimServer is encoded as PCM 24/176.4 (not 192). I'm not sure what you mean by setting PCM 192 "in midi". If you can change this setting to 24/176.4, this would probably help.

That was it! OSX Audio Midi needs to be set at 24/176.4 LOL! How was I to know that the MinimServer stream was transcoded to 24/176.4?? hahaha

BTW why did you pick that?

And perhaps you need to put that info on the website....

Or is it buried somewhere there already LOL!

Hey Simon. This DSD transcoding is pretty cool Smile

Cheers
07-09-2013, 23:08 (This post was last modified: 07-09-2013 23:11 by wappinghigh.)
What's interesting is an encoded multichannel DSD file actually streams to the Oppo as well. And plays. Sure with the same problem, so the encoding doesn't work and I'd doubt the Oppo supports Dop... but the file plays all the same with the same "faint music" in the background.... So could this be a way around their UPnP DSD issue? Playing the file via the Oppo's GUI using UPnP didn't even "mount" the file..remember that issue?
07-09-2013, 23:36
(07-09-2013 22:49)wappinghigh Wrote:  That was it! OSX Audio Midi needs to be set at 24/176.4 LOL! How was I to know that the MinimServer stream was transcoded to 24/176.4?? hahaha

BTW why did you pick that?

And perhaps you need to put that info on the website....

Or is it buried somewhere there already LOL!

No, it's buried in the DoP specification. See this page.

Quote:Hey Simon. This DSD transcoding is pretty cool Smile

Cheers

I'm glad you like it. Smile
07-09-2013, 23:47
(07-09-2013 23:08)wappinghigh Wrote:  What's interesting is an encoded multichannel DSD file actually streams to the Oppo as well. And plays. Sure with the same problem, so the encoding doesn't work and I'd doubt the Oppo supports Dop... but the file plays all the same with the same "faint music" in the background.... So could this be a way around their UPnP DSD issue? Playing the file via the Oppo's GUI using UPnP didn't even "mount" the file..remember that issue?

For this to work on Mac OS X, the OPPO would need to support DoP. This is because Mac OS X is only able to play PCM to a USB DAC. Encoding the DSD signal within PCM using DoP is a way to fool the Mac into thinking it's playing a PCM file, but the DAC knows the real truth.

On other platforms such as Windows or Linux, it might be possible to send native DSD to the OPPO via a USB connection without the need for DoP encoding. You would need to find out whether the OPPO can accept a DSD stream via USB. I haven't done any investigation into this.
08-09-2013, 01:47
^The Oppo doesn't do any more than 24/192 PCM via USB. Go figure.....