Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melco – copy speed – glacier-like slow / Your experience?
25-02-2020, 10:43
RE: Melco – copy speed – glacier-like slow / Your experience?
Did have to a unit juggler first...

Lorenz Melco 9 Mb/s
Lorenz Synology 110 Mb/s

Simon QNAP 51 Mb/s
Simon Melco-SSD 21 Mb/s
Simon Melco-HDD 14 Mb/s

My Melco – currently – has 2 SSDs installed (Samsung 850 Pro with 500GB each formatted as RAID0). Did not test the HDDs. Though.

Given the Numbers above: appear NAS speeds seem double the speed than yours – but my Melco copy speed seems to be half as fast as yours.

Well. Considering that everyone's mileage will always vary – the picture get's a little clearer now. My NAS, Mac, Nucleus copy speed are (very) good. My Melco copy speeds are slow. BUT (not to whitewash anything) not as bad as expected – at least compared to Simon's result.

Wonder if other users have more real-world input/numbers...?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2020, 10:51
(25-02-2020 10:39)paultaylor Wrote:  
(24-02-2020 17:27)Lorenz Wrote:  With regards to SongKong – still trying to like it. At the moment I don't: too much automatism and not enough control. My approach performance wise is to do all the meta data work on my Mac an then transfer/sync "super-clean" to the other devices...
Hi Peter
The main concept behind SongKong is do automate everything because we all dont have time to manually edit everything, but I try to provide enough control so that you can automate it to get the results you want.

If you have some specific concerns/ideas/problems please come and post on the https://community.jthink.net/ forums so I can either resolve your problems now or consider changes in the future.

Paul

@paultaylor... I'm not Peter Rolleyes

SongKong ist definitely a super-cool tool. I simply did not find my way into it so far...

I will direct questions on it directly through the specific forum or towards you. Mentioned SongKong only in the context of the app running natively on the Melco enabling me to do just a rudimental benchmark/comparison between the performance of my Mac vs. the Melco when it comes to processing a (huge) number of files with exactly the same task. Obviously the Mac ist sooooo much faster. ..

But again: this might be topic on a new thread on (your) SongKong forum.

Best, Lorenz
25-02-2020, 11:08
(25-02-2020 10:43)Lorenz Wrote:  Lorenz Melco 9 Mb/s
Lorenz Synology 110 Mb/s

Simon QNAP 51 Mb/s
Simon Melco-SSD 21 Mb/s
Simon Melco-HDD 14 Mb/s

These numbers will also depend on the speed of the machine that is the source of the copy. I was copying from an old and fairly slow laptop. I would expect a copy from a faster machine to show a larger difference but I don't have an easy way to test this.

Also, I was only copying 1.5 GB. Perhaps something bad happens on the Melco when copying very large amounts of data.

How are you doing the copy? There could be some issue with the copying software you are using. I was using Windows Explorer, copying to an SMB share. Are you able to try this?
25-02-2020, 11:25
(25-02-2020 11:08)simoncn Wrote:  I was using Windows Explorer, copying to an SMB share. Are you able to try this?

The venerable SyncToy, which was specifically designed for this kind of task, is still available as a free download from Microsoft. I have used it as the synchronisation software for my music library since 2013, and it is still working well on the latest Windows 10 build. Like File Explorer, it accesses my NASs as SMB shares.

David
25-02-2020, 11:28
@Simon.

Tested many ways :-).

My Macs are – as mentioned – quite powerful. Therefore I would would rule the out as a bottle neck.

Copying is done either as a direct transfer in the finder (Drag and Drop) try by means of synchronisation tools such as ChronoSync/GoodSync/FreeFileSync or towards the SMB share of the target device. All of the copy speeds come out virtually the same. I did not experience any (mentionable/repeatable) difference.

What I did not try so far: a copy using a Windows PC – will try this this evening.
25-02-2020, 13:10 (This post was last modified: 25-02-2020 13:12 by simoncn.)
I tried a quick test using a MacBook Pro, copying a single file of size 310 MB.

With a wireless connection, copying to the Melco (SSDs) and the QNAP both took 20 seconds. With a wired connection, copying to the QNAP took 5 seconds (about 62 MB/s) and copying to the Melco (SSDs) took 19 seconds (about 16 MB/s).

This is a bigger difference than I saw on Windows but still not as big as you are seeing. It is interesting that the copy from Mac to Melco was slower than from PC to Melco even though the Mac is a faster machine.
25-02-2020, 17:13
Well – I know, why I dislike Windows so much...

Confused

Copying from Windows 10 towards the Melco is even slower at 7 Mb/s (vs. 9 Mb/s on from my Mac).

Copying towards Synology is also a bit slower than the Mac reference – but still way faster than towards the Melco.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

25-02-2020, 17:45
Just did a quick test copying 20GB of data

Windows 10 PC (couple of years old Intel i7-4770)
QNAP 559Pro+ (quite old model)
Melco N1ZH with SSDs fitted

PC to QNAP low 80s MB/s
PC to Melco about 20MB/s
QNAP to Melco via PC about 20MB/s

So Melco speed similar to Simon with SSDs.
PC to NAS in between Simon and Lorenz
26-02-2020, 09:53
I may have mentioned it before somewhere, but I am a Mac user, and I keep my primary music files on an external hard drive.
When I add to this collection or modify the metadata (I like to put in composers!), I then back up to my Melco using a Run Shell Script routine in Automator (a part of Mac OS which is hidden unless you look for it). I keep an icon on my desk top.

With the routine I use

rsync -av --progress "/Volumes/MLP3Tb/MAIN/" "/Volumes/share/MAIN"

where MLP3TB is my external drive, MAIN is the directory for my main music collection. The destination is my Melco, again into its MAIN directory.
It is important to get the "/" in the right place as above. Using this I only copy over new or updated files (A bit like Windows/DOS XCopy /blah blah.

All is explained in this link. The backup is not slow. Certainly comparable to using the same routine to copy to other hard disks.

https://www.haykranen.nl/2008/05/05/rsync/

Donuk beautiful downtown York